Just bought Olympus E-PL2!!! WOW! oh WOW!

Name
Andy
Hi All

OK, yes, I know I'm bonkers, etc., BUT!!!!!

I took back the NEX 5 to the shop today as I wasn't happy enough with it to keep it due mainly to no decent AF lenses. The chap asked if there was anything else I wanted to exchange it for, and I asked if he had the E-PL2. He said they had the 1st batch in last night, and they had 1 black one. After playing with it for a while, I loved how it looked and felt, so I decided to buy it!!!:)

I got home and tested it out.

Good bits
Retro looks
Silent focus motor
AF DAMN quick, really surprised!
Light.
Feels great to hold.
IS superb!
Easy to set up and use.
Scene modes are AWESOME!!! You can go into, say, Monochrome and there are loads of custom settings in there - plus you can customise it yourself, so that you can get what you want. I think this could be real fun! Some ART modes also have different types.
Image quality.....the biggy for me.....SUPERB. I was really surprised by how good the lens is. I have popped a couple test shots below.

I think that I got one of the 1st E-PL2's in the country! They were not even on display, plus I got it £30 cheaper than I thought it was going to be.

Bad Bits
No RAW support in LR and prob not for PS either.
No MF Adapter yet, gonna have to order one today.

So there ya go. AWESOME!! Probably the best move I have ever made! And I seriously think that if any camera could replace my DSLR, this camera is it!!!! 10/10 Olympus!!

1: Front
View attachment 32116

2: Back
View attachment 32117

3: Leaf
View attachment 32118

4: Flying Pig. Focus was on the nose
View attachment 32119

I got bit by the 4/3's bug last year. Through therapy and some good friends I overcame it and I'm doing better.

Seriously: I have since sold mine (epl1) but remain a fan of the format. I've gone micro tech with the compact cams.
Good luck with the newby toy.... you'll have tons of fun, especially looking for more lenses.

Cheers,
Pete

Andy, congrats! Do you think she'll be a keeper?

I was looking at some of my PEN pictures recently, and I will say that I felt the pull of nostalgia for the clarity and color rendition. Pete, perhaps your therapist does long distance counseling?:tongue:

P.S. Andy, I'd have to believe that the RAW support would come soon. I know it's frustrating - however the "old" E-PL1 that I used to have was great in jpeg.:friends:

Andy, congrats! Do you think she'll be a keeper?

I was looking at some of my PEN pictures recently, and I will say that I felt the pull of nostalgia for the clarity and color rendition. Pete, perhaps your therapist does long distance counseling?:tongue:

P.S. Andy, I'd have to believe that the RAW support would come soon. I know it's frustrating - however the "old" E-PL1 that I used to have was great in jpeg.:friends:

YES!! it's a keeeeeeeper!!!! Really love it and the Jpegs are superb. :dance2::dance::yahoo:

Andy, in all seriousness, I am sure that I am not alone in saying that I am really looking forward to reading more and seeing more from you about this new micro four thirds gem.

I'll do my best Ma'm:D

Seriously, I think it is going to be a great camera up there with the GF1 but better looking!! I was kinda interested in the GF2 but the E-PL2 is SO much better looking and far more retro. When you delve into the menu there seems to be more options to choose from. I don't know how the MF on old lenses will work but I'll report back when i get a chance to try it. I'm sure it will be easy enough.

ALSO, Just tried Manual focus with Nikon adapter and M42 lens and all works perfectly!!

Andy,

You do realize you are thoroughly out of control, right? :) I am kidding of course! I love your excitement on these cameras.

Didn't you just purchase an old EP1 via eBay? If so, would you be willing to do comparison shots between EP1 and EPL2? I've got the EP1, and am wondering if the EPL2 is an upgrade.

He he!! I AM out of control!!! Yeah i did as it was SOOOOOOO cheap. When i get it I'll do some comparisons. I would be interested as they are supposed to have the same sensor and 'engine'.

Hi Andy, you remind me of me:D

But in reverse, I started with the e-pl1 and switched to the NEX-3. I warn you now that legacy glass is very fun and addictive!

The 2x crop factor, need for VF-2 for critical manual focus and relatively poor ISO performance led me to change.

It seems the e-pl2 has partially addressed these with a higher res / larger screen and more ISO options. I'm very interested to see if the ISO is better in low light situations and how you like manual focussing.

The biggest thing I miss is the great out of camera Jpgs from Olympus.

Enjoy and let's see more photos :)

Back