Just curious: your most fun DSLR to shoot?

How many x Nikon DSLR shooters can you have in one thread?

Most fun/liked the best? It would be easy to go the opposite way, D7100 and D90 were by far my least favorite. But I will have to acknowledge I was shooting events when I had them, So I also had a D300, D700, and/or D600 during the time I had those 2 so they were at a disadvantage.

I remember getting the D200/D300/D700, the advances each over the next (I started with a D70), and enjoying each, all 3 handled so closely as I recall. But if I had to narrow it down it would be between the Fuji S5 Pro (a D200 with a heart transplant) and the D700. the colors right out of the Fuji were incredible and the low light ability of the 12mp chip Nikon had for the D3/D700 was a game changer at the time.

How many x Nikon DSLR shooters can you have in one thread?

Most fun/liked the best? It would be easy to go the opposite way, D7100 and D90 were by far my least favorite. But I will have to acknowledge I was shooting events when I had them, So I also had a D300, D700, and/or D600 during the time I had those 2 so they were at a disadvantage.

I remember getting the D200/D300/D700, the advances each over the next (I started with a D70), and enjoying each, all 3 handled so closely as I recall. But if I had to narrow it down it would be between the Fuji S5 Pro (a D200 with a heart transplant) and the D700. the colors right out of the Fuji were incredible and the low light ability of the 12mp chip Nikon had for the D3/D700 was a game changer at the time.
I too was surprised by how many Nikon users (past and preset) replied so far.

Oh, forgot to mention I also shot a Canon D30, and 80D. I suppose (no offense to Canon, which is my current main mirrorless), but Nikon DSLRs are just built like tanks and I find very them enjoyable to use. I can’t say I ever melded or loved the Canons enough to even bother mentioning them here 🤷🏻‍♂️

I too was surprised by how many Nikon users (past and preset) replied so far.
We do have Canon shooters here. But thinking about it, there was a group that left DPR and joined/formed the Nikon Cafe (well Amin started his sites as I recall) . Then many of us joined Amin's other sites over time. I'm not sure if there was something similar on the Canon side.

Lots of pros have always used Canon for their output, but I can't say I've seen a whole lot of really positive sentiment (as opposed to more logical approval) for Canon DSLRs, aside from the original 5D. That gets lauded along with mention of its frustrations somewhat often.

maybe Canon is more left-brain, along with Sony and maybe Panasonic, while Nikon, Pentax, Olympus are more right-brain. But how would that even work.

Can't speak for anyone else but the most fun I've had with a DSLR is easily my D810. Yeah, it's a big honking thing but it's just so cute and it just works and I don't fight with it to get what I want out of it like I've had to with other cameras. I put a lens on it and go out the door and just shoot. No questions, no problems, just big beautiful images.

Without hesitation, the Canon 5DMII with L glass. The camera does not stand between you and the photo you want to make. Beautiful colors with the L glass. Not so great is the bulk and weight of the lenses, especially of my all-time favorite lens, the 1.2/85, aka 'the pineapple'. Cheers, OtL

If you're dipping your toes back in I reckon you can't go past a used D700 (or pay smidge more for a D600). My first DSLR that I still use occasionally. Fantastic files out of the 12MP sensor. I picked up a D600 several years later and I like the lightness and bigger more modern sensor but it lacks a certain something the D700 had (I keep an eye out for D3 or D3s/x every now and then just so I can see if they have that special sauce more modern Nikons miss). Somehow I ended up with a small stable of Pentax's too - I love the k-5 and k-3 even though the k-7 gave me that first taste of life in Pentax land (mainly thanks to the 100mm macro). I did try a Canon once, nothing about the experience endeared me to the experience at all (but different strokes for different folks obvs).

Interesting thread. My first DSLR was the Olympus E20P, yes I know it had a fixed zoom lends but still had an optical viewfinder, traded that for an Olympus E3, great camera but the promise of light weight smaller lens system really, for me not happen with the 4/3 system
Then changed to the Nikon D700 but I did not get on with it, found focusing MF lens tricky and was always disappointed with the cool, clinical images it produced when compared with the colours from the Olympus system.
Traded the Nikon and bought into the m4/3 with an Olympus OMD5MkII and bunch of lens, which I still have and enjoy using and vowed never to pick up another DSLR. Also in that time I picked up a Fujifilm-XT1 and Fujifilm XE-3

However

As time moved on, pandemic etc and started to shoot more motor racing I decided I wanted to do a mix of film and digital. Still had a bunch of Nikon lens so bought, another D700, it was cheap, like less than £250. Used it for a bit and realised why I got rid of it first time round :ROFLMAO: however I had learned alot more about colour and tweaking things in the menus, so for 95%+ I shoot jpeg.

So, I sold that and got an Olympus OMD-E1X the AF is fab.

BUT the DSLR story does not end there:

You see things are now very affordable and if you are not so bothered about high shutter counts then you can find some great things, that are relatively inexpensive..
So now I have:
Canon 1D, 2001 first Canon Pro DSLR, 4MB CCD 1.3x crop sensor, was in 2001 £4500 body only, bought used for £120
Canon 1Dx
Nikon D2Xs
Nikon D800

As well as the mirrorless machines I have, they all have their pros and cons.

As for the first question, which one is the most fun to use?........the Canon 1D
It is a brilliant piece of kit, the colours are just fab, its a bit of a faf to navigate, the 45 point AF works great and when I stick images up on here an other places no one says, "Its a 4Mb sensor you are mad for using that in this modern day".

It's just a fun to use and see people faces when they realise what it is. :)

You’d think with me, I’d pick a Nikon as my most fun to use DSLR. If I picked a Nikon, it would be the Df.

However, out of all the DSLRs I’ve used, the one that I go back to over and over is that old, first gen digital minolta Maxxum 7D.

Yeah, it’s slower and the battery doesn’t last as long as even some mirrorless cameras of today. What it does have is a photographers sensibilities. It feels great in the hands, it is built as a stills camera. That 6mp sensor, while not great in low light, produces some great images.

all those vintage a-mount lenses, the zooms and the primes are equally as fun to use, even with their faults. In this case faults equal character.

I would have to give the Pentax K-3 a close second to the Minolta, where it loses out is in the auto focus department. Oddly I found the Minolta to be more consistent, accurate.

The Nikon cameras are super, but they are a very clinical and precise tool for the job, those times when you need to be serious and get things done.
I rarely used the term fun when using them.

Now, the Nikon Df came very close and the Zf mirror less even closer to fun as much as a Nikon can for me, but that’s a whole different discussion for another time.

Ovi,

In the Canon realm, I had the 60D, 6D and 5D (Classic), all of them are gone.

After I went all mirrorless, I eventually got a couple DSRLs back, but this time I jumped into the Pentax realm with the K-5 IIs and K-1 (and I still have both).

If you take a slower approach to photography and you don't require extreme C-AF capabilities, the Pentax cameras have better features starting from better image quality, and following with a more robust weather sealing, IBIS, higher mechanical shutter speeds, composition adjustment, built in intervalometers, astrotracer, etc.

However Canon has more AF lenses available, especially when talking about FF. And speaking about glass, the EF mount is very versatile and lets you adapt M42, OM, C/Y, PK, Exakta, Nikon F lenses and even some MD lenses with a simple ring. On the other hand, the Pentax K mount only allows you to adapt M42 lenses.

If you are looking for a FF camera with incredible image quality and resolution, I would recommend you a gently used K-1 or K-1 II.

If AF is extremely important, get a Canon 6D II, 5D III or IV, or the Pentax K-3 III.

If you want an APS-C camera I would recommend you the Pentax KP, any K-3 or the K-5 IIs.

Lots of pros have always used Canon for their output, but I can't say I've seen a whole lot of really positive sentiment (as opposed to more logical approval) for Canon DSLRs, aside from the original 5D. That gets lauded along with mention of its frustrations somewhat often.

maybe Canon is more left-brain, along with Sony and maybe Panasonic, while Nikon, Pentax, Olympus are more right-brain. But how would that even work.
I like this analysis, Andrew. Especially the stark comparison between Panasonic and Olympus. Sony and Pentax 100%. And Nikon and Canon having a bit of balance but definitely on each side.
My take anyway.

My only DSLRs were Pentax. *ist D, DS, K10D, and the D7. At that point I switched to mu43. Of all these, my fav was the *ist D. It was small and worked well, despite the stupid name.
OK, I'm quoting myself because I said something stupid. I mentally separated the past from the present. I currently own a Nikon D700. I bought it on a whim a few years ago and I'm very pleased with the results, although it feels like a boat anchor compared to my X-T5.

I see this on mu-43.

Acknowledging that I'm just as prone to bias as anyone else, it does seem to me as if Olympus/OM shooters advocate/evangelise more than Panasonic shooters.

Same with DPReview M43 forum, though I don't go there any more - there are a few Panasonic voices, but the vast amount of chat and content is about OM.

Perhaps OM shooters will now tell me that it's the Panasonic users who yell loudest 😄

In late 2019 I made the switch from DSLRs (Nikon) to mirrorless (Sony) and haven't nor will I return to DSLRs. Mirrorless suits my style of shooting. I love and am totally all in with mirrorless and the benefits it provides.
I'm quoting my own earlier post because I belatedly have realized that I never answered the actual question posed in the thread. Of the various Nikon DSLRs that I had, I would say my favorite was the D3, which was both fun and yet challenging to use, and I learned a lot from that camera and the lenses I put on it.

I’ve had only two: the Olympus E-1 and the Olympus E-3. I now only have one: the Olympus E-1. That answers your question which one was my favorite…

I’ve contemplated using my E-1 with the 14-54 for a Single In - month, but I’m afraid 30 days of using that won’t be the same fun as it used to be.

PA162455-L.jpg

I do know what I’ll use as a weapon when a burglar enters my house though….

Just a little heads-up: I don't think this thread should be let run a risk of degrading into some kind of gear war (nor do I think it's already going that way, but better be safe than sorry).

So, folks, concentrate on positive impressions (Ovi's question and intention were clear enough!) and use comparisons only to illustrate your personal experience; don't generalise, please, and no hinting at any group's specific behaviour or brand's special merits over others - you might inadvertedly tread on some toes (some of us shoot multiple systems!), and it doesn't contribute to the thread's purpose at all, either. If in doubt, go back to Ovi's original post and take your lead from there.

We're known to explicitly avoid zealotry - let's keep this in mind. Let's not take our lead from mu-43.org (we've seen a lot of undesirable things happen their lately - for many of us who either were or still are members there, that's certainly regrettable, but definitely not to be continued on this board!), let alone DPR!

M.

Back