Nikon Just Df things, seen by M shooter

William Lewis

Veteran
Real Name
William Lewis
Only the young and inexperienced Nikon shooters have a lens or two that are must-haves.

We old/experienced Nikon shooters will gladly make a list of 20 or more lenses that are "Must Haves", especially for Nikon Df.
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH
I'm a young Nikon shooter and _I_ can give you an off the cuff list of at least 10 "Must Haves". Those will be the same as you'd hear BrianS tell you to buy. Then I'll tell you the OTHER 10 "Must Haves" as far as I am concerned and the odds are none of them will be on his list.

(Hint: No matter what ANYONE says, get a 105/2.5 Nikkor-P. Get one that was made Pre-AI and have it modified. You'll thank us all later.)

Canon made a good decision when going from FD to EF.
Nikon also made a good decision to stay with the F mount.
Take those two statements as you will :laugh1:

mike3996

Hall of Famer
I think the next F lens I'll give up is the Samyang 20 mm f/1.8.

UWAs are wonderful but this one is very big and heavy. Accurately focusing with OVF is not working well and the optics aren't that great anyhow. There are no focus distance scales on the lens and the lens goes beyond infinity all too easily.

It's a shame because wide-angle TTL is a wonderful thing. Especially good close-focus is great, can't get that on a Leica M. The bittersweet duality of using UWAs on a rangefinder. Wonderfully accurate to focus but the long MFD loses so much potential of the lens. So much. On a TTL it's the opposite.

Leica M with its inherent limitations has taught me to take 35mm as my wide-angle view and it's not a bad position to be in.

Because the Nikon's DRF dot works best with longer FLs and Leica M covers my normal FLs I think I'll trade it for a 105/2.5 Pre-Ai as suggested by many. My Nikon lens collection is shifting towards mid-tele options. That's fine by me, it means the camera has a more solid "slot" in my arsenal: Leica handling 35-50 and Nikon handling 85+ mm. No conflict of interest between the cameras.

Last edited:

rayvonn

Hall of Famer
I think the next F lens I'll give up is the Samyang 20 mm f/1.8.

UWAs are wonderful but this one is very big and heavy. Accurately focusing with OVF is not working well and the optics aren't that great anyhow. There are no focus distance scales on the lens and the lens goes beyond infinity all too easily.

It's a shame because wide-angle TTL is a wonderful thing. Especially good close-focus is great, can't get that on a Leica M. The bittersweet duality of using UWAs on a rangefinder. Wonderfully accurate to focus but the long MFD loses so much potential of the lens. So much. On a TTL it's the opposite.

Leica M with its inherent limitations has taught me to take 35mm as my wide-angle view and it's not a bad position to be in.

Because the Nikon's DRF dot works best with longer FLs and Leica M covers my normal FLs I think I'll trade it for a 105/2.5 Pre-Ai as suggested by many. My Nikon lens collection is shifting towards mid-tele options. That's fine by me, it means the camera has a more solid "slot" in my arsenal: Leica handling 35-50 and Nikon handling 85+ mm. No conflict of interest between the cameras.
See if you can hire a Nikkor 20mm F1.8G for the day and see what you think.

Latest threads

Top Bottom