Nikon Just Df things, seen by M shooter

mike3996

Hall of Famer
I have the cv 75mm f/2.5 in F-mount as well :)
Hardly possible but they done it: the SL version is more gorgeous than the M39 version, and approximately the same size without counting the hood.

But that's a pricey lens nowadays. I'll be happy and treasure my M39 version with front focus and all, given I only paid ~200 € for it. The 1-meter MFD pesters me a little, but it's not the optical formula I don't think? They just limited it to 1 meter since that's the limit of M39 focusing standard. SL goes to 0.7 m. Which is funny since they could have reissued an M version with that MFD without touching the formula...

I think, for Nikon, I won't be chasing the 75mm options too hard. It's already too close to 50mm and there are the 85mm lenses instead. Or 80mm. Or 58mm ones, or 60mm... And one can get 70mm with a little help from a 1.4x TC adapter. ;)

Bart J D

Top Veteran
Hardly possible but they done it: the SL version is more gorgeous than the M39 version, and approximately the same size without counting the hood.

But that's a pricey lens nowadays. I'll be happy and treasure my M39 version with front focus and all, given I only paid ~200 € for it. The 1-meter MFD pesters me a little, but it's not the optical formula I don't think? They just limited it to 1 meter since that's the limit of M39 focusing standard. SL goes to 0.7 m. Which is funny since they could have reissued an M version with that MFD without touching the formula...

I think, for Nikon, I won't be chasing the 75mm options too hard. It's already too close to 50mm and there are the 85mm lenses instead. Or 80mm. Or 58mm ones, or 60mm... And one can get 70mm with a little help from a 1.4x TC adapter. ;)
That's right.
All the CV SLR lenses that were discontinued took an extraordinary price rise on the 2nd hand market while they were more than reasonaly priced while they were still available.
I'm very glad I got my set before that. 180mm, 125mm, 90mm and 75mm. they are quite special.

mike3996

Hall of Famer
The lens I'll receive today will be the third, THE THIRD lens I've bought while the Nikon has been away. Will I ever get it back? Feels like a forever and a half.

Second wonderment: why is the Nikkor 55mm f/1.2 so cheap while the 58mm f/1.2 so expensive? I pray the 55/1.2 won't be a fourth lens...

Add:

The Noct Nikkor 58/1.2 appears to be well corrected for wide open shooting, and it'll also apparently covers the medium format digital cameras for extra desirability. One can get Canadian Leica Noctiluxes for ~same money than these Nikkors.

Last edited:

mike3996

Hall of Famer
Received the SB16 and the goods.

This flash is big but nice looking and well-featured. Its ISO selector is stiff as hell and it cannot possibly be adjusted when attached to the camera, so I worry about its usefulness with manual controls.

Nikon does not promise TTL support for DSLRs for a flash this old. So all CLS magic is also off the table. 45 euros buys you a brand new Meike with better manual controls so is the flash a total bust? I technically paid nothing for this but it's also not technically the whole story.

I mounted the flash on my Leica for tests. How fun! To great delight the flash communicates with M to the small degree that I get the flash readiness symbol right in my rangefinder viewfinder!

Other than that, the flash is too unwieldy to be mounted and used on M for any kind of serious job. It is a bit wobbly also. With a separate hand grip, maybe. On Nikon Df I believe an extra grip would be welcome.

Automatic (non-TTL) flash mode seems to do pretty fine. CV75 at f/8 and the camera at its base ISO of 200 the exposures all seemed to turn out pretty well. There's a quick adjustment A1 and A2 to adjust the flash output by two stops' difference, and of course adjusting the lens aperture or camera's ISO will also adjust the flash exposure.

Last edited:
Received the SB16 and the goods.

This flash is big but nice looking and well-featured. Its ISO selector is stiff as hell and it cannot possibly be adjusted when attached to the camera, so I worry about its usefulness with manual controls.

Nikon does not promise TTL support for DSLRs for a flash this old. So all CLS magic is also off the table. 45 euros buys you a brand new Meike with better manual controls so is the flash a total bust? I technically paid nothing for this but it's also not technically the whole story.

I mounted the flash on my Leica for tests. How fun! To great delight the flash communicates with M to the small degree that I get the flash readiness symbol right in my rangefinder viewfinder!

Other than that, the flash is too unwieldy to be mounted and used on M for any kind of serious job. It is a bit wobbly also. With a separate hand grip, maybe. On Nikon Df I believe an extra grip would be welcome.

Automatic (non-TTL) flash mode seems to do pretty fine. CV75 at f/8 and the camera at its base ISO of 200 the exposures all seemed to turn out pretty well. There's a quick adjustment A1 and A2 to adjust the flash output by two stops' difference, and of course adjusting the lens aperture or camera's ISO will also adjust the flash exposure.
At the time I've had an SB-16 with the special foot for my F3's. As far as I can remember, I agree with your findings, it just wasn't very comfortable to use. It also ate batteries c.q. depleted rechargeables like there was no tomorrow. I much preferred a Metz 45 (CL-4 in my case with the adapter for the F3), which I used a lot for family photos, including receptions, outings etc.

mike3996

Hall of Famer
Missing my Df. My Leica skills remain sharp and the 35 Summicron performs stupendously as ever. But there are the merits of optical TTL.

I am having a new fever dream. To acquire a black Nikon Df and have it converted to monochrome. :eek:

It's nice that I explored the idea because now I also know that there are shops that can remove the OLPF off of my camera if I so want. Not cheap but then again, what is.

What a crazy idea. But it would solve the "Nikon color" problem that I am having.

Bart J D

Top Veteran
Missing my Df. My Leica skills remain sharp and the 35 Summicron performs stupendously as ever. But there are the merits of optical TTL.

I am having a new fever dream. To acquire a black Nikon Df and have it converted to monochrome. :eek:

It's nice that I explored the idea because now I also know that there are shops that can remove the OLPF off of my camera if I so want. Not cheap but then again, what is.

What a crazy idea. But it would solve the "Nikon color" problem that I am having.
Nikon colours translate rather well to b&w with processing.
Not really necessary to convert the sensor.
Plus, since I'm not really good enough to shoot jpg, I use NEF's. I convert these with DxO PhotoLab and I have for while now, adopted the habit to apply the camera setting of the M9 to them.
Not only does this help to get a more consistent colour scheme over the output from the camera's I use but I also like the result better :blush:
Fortunately, I can alway call upon the Roman saying "you can't reason over taste and colour" :)

mike3996

Hall of Famer
I think I have to set the picture profile on the camera to B&W because the color and the AWB is so poor on the picture reviews, it cools my enthusiasm. Shooting Leica is another story. Every shot even in the dullest of lights looks like the most vibrant of slide film shots without any processing. It actively encourages to go further, shoot more.

Of course the flipside of picture profiles is that they affect the blinkies and histogram, sadly.

I do agree that the Df files on the raw processing have nice flexibility and perhaps feels like having deeper tonality to them.

When the Df finally comes back to me, I will do A/B shooting between Leica and Df and then try to match the starting-point look between the files (towards Leica). Will not probably get 100% match but files being raw files, everything should be possible to the persistent.

Last edited:

mike3996

Hall of Famer
There's some unfounded clickbaity rumors about a mirrorless APSC camera body that Nikon is going to possibly announce next week. It's rumored to be having retro styling so some people already consider the camera to be a successor to Df.

Now I don't think that an APSC camera can fulfill the shoes of the Df successor.

There's also the question of what Df even needs for a successor to be necessary. Plenty of nice-to-have little things but I don't know.

I haven't had that much time with Df or Nikons in general but a real Df 2 would have this one:

Much like the foldable Ai tab, also provide a foldable pre-Ai aperture prong! A must!

mike3996

Hall of Famer
I think I have to set the picture profile on the camera to B&W because the color and the AWB is so poor on the picture reviews, it cools my enthusiasm. Shooting Leica is another story. Every shot even in the dullest of lights looks like the most vibrant of slide film shots without any processing. It actively encourages to go further, shoot more.

I didn't realize Nikons support this level of flexibility. Not just the couple of sliders in-camera, but fine-adjusted curves of this sort.

Nikon Df doesn't have the "Flat profile" of D810 and newer cameras -- with this tool one could implement it.

Sugoi, Nikon engineers!

Last edited:

mike3996

Hall of Famer

I've probably said this before but it was after Fujifilm XT3 when I gained interest in Nikon Df. Df would be the Fuji XT3 "done right", I thought. With these custom profiles, a Nikon "hidden" feature, this just enforces that view.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom