Leica Just fooling around (X Vario)

yes thats true, i very much agree that many times there is beauty or its part of the plan to have deep DOFs. the sacriffice is the 'pop' of the main subject if the goal is a discreet subject vs a 'scene'.

Would that assessment change if the image were less 'portrait' and more 'group photo'?

no not really because i wasnt assessing the photo, which i like. i wanted to focus my comments on the science of DOF which imo precludes this camera from being used for portrait work in any kind of classic sense. i think alot of people read through these forums to find comments etc on gear theyre thinking of buying, and so i just wanted to point out, not that this is a 'bad' camera, just that it has science based limitations that might matter to some. this particular limitation, coupled with the lack of vf, take this camera out of the mix for me personally, though it is certainly capable of lovely results generally.

no not really because i wasnt assessing the photo, which i like. i wanted to focus my comments on the science of DOF which imo precludes this camera from being used for portrait work in any kind of classic sense. i think alot of people read through these forums to find comments etc on gear theyre thinking of buying, and so i just wanted to point out, not that this is a 'bad' camera, just that it has science based limitations that might matter to some. this particular limitation, coupled with the lack of vf, take this camera out of the mix for me personally, though it is certainly capable of lovely results generally.

I did own it, then bought the Pana GM1, then the Leica Monoc./Noctilux, then the Leica 'T' with 18-56 lens, then Leica D-Lux. I wish I hadn't spent the money on the 'T', and I wish I still had the X Vario for landscapes and scenics in general. The Monoc/Nocti was just too heavy. The GM1 was very nice for one-hand convenience. Now with the D-Lux I'm hoping I can do some of what I did with the X Vario, but already I can see it doesn't have the look I got with the X Vario. I don't think the 'T' with the lens I have is quite there either.

"Pop" is not just narrow depth of field. It is also resolution, microcontrast and other things that I can't explain, but know when I see. Yes, narrow depth of field and subject isolation are large parts, but images can pop with small apertures and short focal lengths as well.

The Leica 24mm f/3.8 Elmar ASPH is a lens with abundant "Pop", and like the X Vario lens (which also has abundant "Pop" in my opinion), it is very difficult to get subject isolation with the 24/3.8. That lens (and the XV's) achieves its "Pop" with biting sharpness and very high microcontrast.

ALWAYS bring at least two good cameras for a trip, always have a backup!

This is always good advice.

I went to France and Switzerland last year with my wife and managed to somehow forget my charging cable for the M8. I ended up shooting mostly with my backup Minolta CLE and didn't end up missing my M8 all that much when it ran out of juice.

Back