Just For A Laugh - Got This Call Today....

gryphon1911

Hall of Famer
Name
Andrew
I had a call from a number that I didn't recognize. Usually this time of year that is rare.

I pick up:

ME: Hello, this is Andrew

CALLER: Hi, How much do you charge for a brother/sister act?

ME: Sorry, are you looking for photography services?

CALLER: Yes.

ME: OK, so is this a headshot situation for a business, website, resume, real estate kind of thing?

CALLER: No, just portraits. How much do you charge?

ME: Well, all the prices are on my website, but I start out with a $300 sitting fee.

CALLER: OK, can you be do them on Christmas Eve?

ME: Oh, my no. Sorry, but between the current schedule I have and the current CORONAVIRUS restrictions, I'm unable to accommodate any portrait requests until probably March 2021.

CALLER hangs up.

1. I get this a lot for weddings too....they call you a few days or a week or 2 before they need services and don't understand why you are not available.
  2. They wanted a photographer to just show up on Christmas Eve....in 4 days....for portraits...during a pandemic for non critical services....
  3. With current Ohio restrictions, I can't really do the portraits indoors and cover the social distancing guidelines.
  4. Shooting outside is a no go....it's 20F overnight and has been only getting up to 34F during the day....all gray, no sunlight. I can shoot in that, but do customers want to be out in the cold for that? History has lead me to believe that this is a big fat NO. Plus, I just checked the forecast for Dec 24. Dropping into the low teens and possibly single digits that day here. Yikes!
  5. Not even a good bye, thanks for your time, have a recommendation on someone who might be available....just hung up.
kraut3.jpg

Me! :) LOL - for transparency, this is a picture my wife took of me. I have her permission to post it! :D

I am sometimes surprised by how long a wait there is for a certain service. We wanted a tree removed and were surprised at the six month wait. Nonetheless, courtesy is always is always an element of being civilized. If you want to hire someone good, that probably means your thinking is not unique.

I've been shocked by people I run into who don't seem to realize that nothing is the way it used to be and we're all making tough changes to keep moving forward. And somehow they are cruising on through expecting to get whatever they want when they want it. Of course it's maddening sometimes, but you have to appreciate the level of head-in-the-sand obstinacy. That's a skill!

I've been shocked by people I run into who don't seem to realize that nothing is the way it used to be and we're all making tough changes to keep moving forward. And somehow they are cruising on through expecting to get whatever they want when they want it. Of course it's maddening sometimes, but you have to appreciate the level of head-in-the-sand obstinacy. That's a skill!
Well ... your head in the sand gets you bitten in the butt sooner or later ... However, sometimes, not soon enough.

@gryphon1911 Thanks for sharing; the only thing I can say is jerks are jerks whereever you go - with egotism causing the most grief.

M.

I’ve never given a number for people to call until after we have a gig set up. They can email to ask those questions and get answers.

Weirdly, around here I get the bulk of my “cold calls” from phone. I get lots of work from referrals, which is great.

Not sure how my relationship is going to be after all the covid stuff is done. I’ve a few clients that started trying to go back to “normal” and I just wasn’t feeling that the risk outweighed the reward.

I may lose those clients, but I can always hustle and get more. Me and my family’s health are not worth the potential risk.

**corrected post for massive auto correct fails. Some day I’ll get smart and stop posting so much from my phone. Lol

Last edited:
Back