Just for fun - You Get To Decide What I Take On Vacation!

What do I take on vacation?

• Nikon D500 and zooms

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nikon D500 Combo of Primes and Zooms

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Just to let you know, I'm back from vacation and officially took the Fuji X-Pro2, 16/23/35/50 and 55-200 lenses.

This is the first shot I got upon arrival with the 35/1.4:

08-03-2019_XPRO2_OBX_2019_DSCF9671.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This was off the back deck of the rental property. I started off the trip using a Kodachrome 25 like film simulation.

More images and updates potentially coming soon. :)

Out of curiosity, do you have an image count / focal length chart?

Any lens you actually never used?
I used them all, the 35mm the least, the 23mm the most, then the 16mm, 55-200, then the 50mm

I'll run a report in Lightroom tonight and get specific numbers.

Those estimates above were off the top of my head. The real numbers are outlined in the image in the post below.

Last edited:
1565645873394.png

200mm got cut off but it was 287 images at that focal length.

No real surprise in those numbers for me. Although it possibly means that if Fuji made an affordable 200mm (or even a 150mm to 180mm f/4 prime) I'd probably be OK with that and could drop the 55-200.

Last edited:
Ok, so I went through and only pulled in the ones that are "keepers". keepers in this instance are defined by the following criteria:
  • I would show them to others
  • They are in focus
  • they are reasonably framed
  • I like them :)
  • There are no duplicates. For example, I shot a few bursts of birds and surfers. From the burst I would keep one, and discard the rest. In the original count, that was all files, including the RAW+JPG I shot when shooting a film simulation. I only counted one of those, usually the JPG.
1565659664710.png

Ok, so I went through and only pulled in the ones that are "keepers". keepers in this instance are defined by the following criteria:
  • I would show them to others
  • They are in focus
  • they are reasonably framed
  • I like them :)
  • There are no duplicates. For example, I shot a few bursts of birds and surfers. From the burst I would keep one, and discard the rest. In the original count, that was all files, including the RAW+JPG I shot when shooting a film simulation. I only counted one of those, usually the JPG.
View attachment 203641
Interestingly, more than half of the pictures with the 55-200mm were made at the extreme of 200mm :) I have sort of the same experience with my 70-200mm for Sony FF.

Interesting results. Looks like 35mm is coming out of your travel kit. The other lenses made a large enough contribution to remain in the kit.

I wonder if some of it also had to due with the shooting conditions. The weather sealing at the beach and days of rain made me aware of the lack of weather sealing on the 35/1.4. None the less, you are correct though and it seems that the 50mm field of view is not as important to me as the 24 and 35 are. Even the 75mm FOV was more prevalent - mainly due to an impromptu portrait shoot for some friends I had no idea about until the day they arrived.

Interesting numbers all around though and neat to ponder them.

It might be interesting to know what aperture the 50mm f/2 was shot at, could you have gotten away without that one as well? (From the stand point of lightening the load.)

The majority of it was night scenes at f/2 and f/2.8. Places where the f/3.8 aperture of the 55-200 would not be sufficient. The other images were some portraits and I shot those at f/4 or f/5.6. SO could very well have done those with the 55-200, no problem.

The other factor would be, how much was weather sealing a factor in the 50mm shots. I am thinking seriously about getting another 50mm. Weather sealing being a big factor.

Depending on the rain amount, you could’ve shot with the 35 1.4. I’ve shot the 56 in light rain with no problems. But I understand going for the weather sealed over the non.

The other factor would be, how much was weather sealing a factor in the 50mm shots. I am thinking seriously about getting another 50mm. Weather sealing being a big factor.

Depending on the rain amount, you could’ve shot with the 35 1.4. I’ve shot the 56 in light rain with no problems. But I understand going for the weather sealed over the non.

While rain is a factor, at the beach my concern was more the sand and dust and sea water.

The Fuji 50 is a nice, small lens too. A great little portrait and medium telephoto option.

While rain is a factor, at the beach my concern was more the sand and dust and sea water.

The Fuji 50 is a nice, small lens too. A great little portrait and medium telephoto option.
I had one for a while when I took a break from everything but just daily personal shooting. I love the 50 as a portrait lens option, and the slightly wider than 56mm focal length for some personal stuff. Definitely a great lens.

Back