Fuji Just got a 27mm

kaito

Regular
Name
Dave
I recently bought a 27mm, here's a few taken over the last week.

Autumn leaves on a Cherry tree.

DSCF1850.jpg

Brass and brick.

DSCF1856.jpg

DSCF1871.jpg

DSCF1859.jpg

The last one was taken by my nearly 9 year old son, he did a good job.

The 27mm is often an underrated lens, Dave. But the truth is, even Fuji's "least" lenses are still pretty darn good. I use the 27mm on my X-A1 with great results and I think I'm going to reaquire the 18mm as well. It was a mistake to sell it off. Nice work.

I think I will always love its size more than its performance, but that is ONLY because Fuji did such a good job with their other XF primes. When I'm heading out the door to go run some errand, and that itch hits me to bring a camera (I feel odd without one), I often toss the 27 onto the XT1 and then just put it on a strap around my neck under my jacket. Can't do that with the 14, the 35, the 56, or any zooms.

I'm happy with both size and performance. Back in the days of 35mm, I always felt that the standard 50mm was just a tad too narrow, the 27mm at an equivalent of 41mm is just right I'd say. As you say Kyle, easy to hide under a jacket too.

I use a B&W polarizing filter as the normal protective filter on it, btw. It was really cheap, somehow, I guess because it's so small, but as long as I don't need the extra stop of light I just leave it on. I find it really, really helps sharpen up that 27 lens in sunlight.

I bought (and sold) the 27mm 2 times when I had my XE2.............It's a very nice little lens. I was trying to justify in my mind to sell my X100S and go strictly with the XE2, 27mm and other lenses. In the end I sold the XE2 and lenses and now have just the X100S and TCL.

I just bought an X-E1 with XF18-55 and XC50-230 for $750 and part of the deal is an option to buy 27mm for $230. You think this is a good buy?

I think it's a good price for the lens, certainly less than it is "worth," in the sense that it has the ability to turn your camera into something truly small and versatile for walking around. I'd gladly pay $230 again for one if mine died. I don't ALWAYS want it, but when I do, it's the only lens I have that does that job. I think of it as a magical camera-shrinking ray.

I grabbed one on the Canadian lens sale this month, the money i saved on the other lenses actually more than paid for it in any case. On film for a while I shot the Pentax FA43 which was sold in part as the prefect normal 43 mm being the diagonal of the 35mm frame. It was a fantastic fov (and a fair bit faster and heavier than the 27). the 27 fills the gap pretty admirably, I'd love a faster version (f 2 anyway) but then I'd lose the size to some degree. way way back I shot an M40 2.8 on an LX Body for a while, slapping the 27 on the XT1 takes me right back to that combo. The XF renders better (it should coating tech has improved just a little)and it's great on the XE2 as well
its sharp stopped to 5.6 and capable of some oof @ 2.8 while still being sharp. I'd put it up against the DA ltd pancakes from pentax (there is no direct match up) and i think it's a better walk around FOV than the other pancakes out there for apsc (haven't shot the m4/3 ones in this length but the fuji system is better than m 4/3 imo anyway). My friend Steve who has been shooting it on the xpro for a couple of years calls it his snapshot lens. I think iut deserves more respect than that, it's just really overshadowed by the 35 1.4 ((and i get that completely)

Thanks guys. But the 35mm is still begging me to get him but its too pricy for now. But i think i will buy the 27mm for now and play with it.

Mine came with the two lens kit now on sale with the X-Pro for $950 at B&H, and I made the shot below with it while walking the dog this morning. It's a nice little lens, for it's size at times, for sure, but optically I find nothing to complain about, even if I don't jump up and down with delight as I do with the 35 f1.4, which is a stunning optic. But the 27 is very good. I learned to shoot on an old Olympus fixed lens film camera with a 42 mm lens, and right around 40 is sweet for a lens to walk around with, better than 35mm for me. (The Olympus SP 35 with it's 42mm lens is still a great camera, and one I'd love to see resurrected as a digital shooter.

DSCF0154-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I find I keep the 27mm on more than I expected to, given the stellar performance of the 35mm. But as I said above, the 27 is very good, and on the X-Pro it fits into a rather small leather pocket case on my belt. So that kit is fast becoming my "don't leave home without a camera" kit, meaning it goes out with me a lot. It or the Leica X1 (with the accessory viewfinder) are my dog walking kit:

DSCF1167_v1-x2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back