Nikon Just got a D750

Let's say it plays a role in what we do. What's more important to me is not to become a slave of it or of other technical aspects and desires. Free your mind.

I agree - but we were discussing the D750, weights and then I brought birds into it

Free your mind …….. I do try ……………. stuff like this, but still needed a 600mm lens

GF_blur_600.jpg

and this

Birdscape.jpg

but I am more this

Darter_11.jpg

and this
sugarbird.jpg

and I needed a 600mm lens for this - they were "miles" in the air

Crane_3.jpg

just a few average shots

Bill you would have a ball being a member of the UHH forum.

can I afford it

must look it up

I'm a Brit and you would never let me into the US ……. I tried when I qualified in 1970 …….. but I could not drive a yellow cab

my wife is calling - shopping - practice for me in carrying heavy loads

Bill, I completely agree. For what you shoot big glass DSLRs are the way to go. Just like for my event work the same is true for me. AF in a dark reception hall is a nightmare for moving subjects on a mirrorless while the D800/D750 handle it with ease.

Those are some spectacular bird photographs.

I made an impulse purchase when the D750 first came out. I do not know what caused it, maybe it was the fact that it felt so good in hand. It also could have been the tilt-screen feature, as I have grown to love that part of some of the mirrorless cameras I have owned over the past two or three years.

The thing that will keep me in the DSLR camp is my re-acquaintance with the OVF and use of AI & AIS manual focus glass. For me, it has taken the photography hobby from just an interesting pursuit, to an engaging challenge. I still get a lot- make that a majority- of images that are out of focus, but the ones that I get right feel so good; additionally, it has forced me away from the idea: if a photo is not tack sharp, it is a failure....I have spent considerable money in consequence of that belief.

My enjoyment of the D750 resulted in my purchase of a Pentax K5IIs a few weeks back, while they were at fire-sale prices, and discovery that this little DSLR/system offers just about everything that supposedly attracts folk to the mirroless cameras. For the last couple of weeks, I have been able to stick the K5IIs, with just about any lens- up to the 135 2.5 manual focus Takumar- comfortably in my coat pocket, and have it with me everywhere I go. No matter where I am, I can occupy myself with bettering my manual focus and general photography skills. Most recently, it has been the K5 and an old screwmount Zeiss 50 1.4 that I have used to occupy my time*. It has taken the photography hobby to a new level for me. If I have the Pentax 43 1.9 AF- a truly tiny lens- in another pocket, I can quickly put it on the camera and be in a position where the camera/lens can cover my ineptitude, then go right back to the fun and challenge of old-school photography with an old MF Takumar lens.

I should shut-up about this.....If too many catch on, the price of this great Nikon and Pentax MF glass is going to go up.

*The Pentax M42 screwmount adapter is relatively cheap, a breeze to install/remove, and opens up a whole new world for those interested in high quality, inexpensive old MF glass.

Last edited:
just to confirm - the above bird shots were taken before I got the D750, (only had it for 5 days) - they were taken with my D7100/D700

Last edited:
Those are some spectacular bird photographs.

I made an impulse purchase when the D750 first came out. I do not know what caused it, maybe it was the fact that it felt so good in hand. It also could have been the tilt-screen feature, as I have grown to love that part of some of the mirrorless cameras I have owned over the past two or three years.

The thing that will keep me in the DSLR camp is my re-acquaintance with the OVF and use of AI & AIS manual focus glass.

I should shut-up about this.....If too many catch on, the price of this great Nikon and Pentax MF glass is going to go up.
The old (and new) manual focus glass really is a lot of fun. The great irony of my Nikon experience (D610 for a bit and Df) is that I initially avoided the Sony A series when I decided to go full frame because of the lack of native lenses and my desire to stick mostly to native AF glass. And for sure I have some good Nikon AF lenses and I'm glad to have them, but I'm shooting the vast majority of my stuff with manual focus lenses anyway! Between three Zeiss wide angle lenses, two tiny Voigtlanders, a Rokinon 14mm, and a couple of tiny old AI telephotos (135 and 75-150), it's what I use for most of what I do. My AF lenses are mostly specialty lenses for how I shoot - a couple of standard zooms, a couple of longer telephotos, a Tamron macro, and three old D lenses that I don't use all that often. So, it turns out I could have gone with a Sony mirrorless, but it turns out I like so much about the Nikon interface and design that I don't have any desire to shoot with anything else. I'm gonna spend 10 days in New York City in a couple of weeks and I may take the 24-120 for when I'm walking around with my wife and don't want to mess with lenses, but most of the time I'm gonna be walking around with three small-ish MF primes and the old AI 75-150, which is an awesome kit, and pretty small and light.

Go figure...

There's SOOOOO much of this old stuff out there, though, I don't think you have to worry much about the prices getting high. You might have to spend $300-400 if you want a 50 f1.2 AIS in good shape, but there are soooo many good old lenses out there for less than $100, it's really kind of fun to pick stuff up just to experiment...

-Ray

just gone mad and spend some of my pension on an iMac 5K Retina .............. viewing my D700 images on this new screen makes me realise how good the D700 is - I was going to sell it - but after looking at my images again ......... I'm not sure that I can bear to let it go

When I exited the DSLR world, the camera that I gave up was the D700. If I could go back, now owning the D750, I would keep that d700. I like the D750. It is a good camera. However, the one downside to the D750 is that it is a constant reminder of how poor a decision it was to get rid of the d700.

There's SOOOOO much of this old stuff out there, though, I don't think you have to worry much about the prices getting high. You might have to spend $300-400 if you want a 50 f1.2 AIS in good shape, but there are soooo many good old lenses out there for less than $100, it's really kind of fun to pick stuff up just to experiment...

-Ray[/QUOTE]

That 50 1.2 was one of the first lenses I purchased. One of the things I have learned- through use of this old Zeiss 50 1.4- about manual focus is something, about which, I have not seen a whole lot of discussion: the quality of the glass is a huge- maybe the prevalent- factor in achieving good manual focus. With the Zeiss, the image in the OVF almost seems to snap into clear focus. I have some other good MF glass, e.g. the 50 1.5 Nikkor, that just not perform, in this particular area, like the Zeiss lens.

Back