Just got done cleaning sensors in both my cameras

Did any of this this involve the in house cleaning done by the camera?
Yes. I started with an image to check for marks. Did the in-camera shake followed by a jet blower to clear any dislodged dust. Checked again with another image. A lot came off both, but neither was really clean. Finished up with a wet swab, I don't like dragging a dry swab across the sensor. Only took one swab per camera to get them both perfectly clean.

Where's the fun in that, Brownie?

Yes, I'm certainly joking. Having worked in a 100k clean room I know what it means to be clean. Wet wiping was really a chore until I found out about the foam tipped swaps you can get. No more 'lint' left after cleaning.

Can you tell I'm excited about the camera that's in the mail?

Where's the fun in that, Brownie?

Yes, I'm certainly joking. Having worked in a 100k clean room I know what it means to be clean. Wet wiping was really a chore until I found out about the foam tipped swaps you can get. No more 'lint' left after cleaning.

Can you tell I'm excited about the camera that's in the mail?
Seriously this time.
I used to use those sticky dab things and ended up with a with a mosaic of 'dab' marks all over the sensor glass.
[ shamefully, I cleaned them off with a cotton bud :eek: ]

I crap you negatory, my nikons needed cleaning what seemed like every 4 or 5 weeks it's been over six years with my em5ll and I have had my pen f for at least three and as of yet haven't noticed any spots which is really befuddling but I am not complaining.

I crap you negatory, my nikons needed cleaning what seemed like every 4 or 5 weeks it's been over six years with my em5ll and I have had my pen f for at least three and as of yet haven't noticed any spots which is really befuddling but I am not complaining.
I'm yet to clean any of my sensors: E-1 (2003), E-510 (2007), E-30 (2008), E-PM2 (2012), E-M1 MkI (2014} or E-M1 MkII (2016).

No dust bunnies even at f/16 or f/22.

Earlier Sony A7 cameras have that problem, too, but it's more related to the protective coating they put on the sensor, which actually grabs more particles and dissolves with sensor cleaning fluid. They may have been solved already but the earlier ones are ruly problematic.

Canon 5D classics have a different issue. Not only the AA filter assembly grabs dust in front, but it also keeps dust behind it. So dust is gathered between the AA filter assembly and the sensor.

I noticed that the GM1 and GM5 have a similar issue with the AA filter assembly. The AA filter-UV sensor assembly just attracts particles. When I cleaned the whole assembly, I got tempted to remove the AA filter, which also holds the bluish UV filter. When I tried that I got magenta in RAW, of course. The sensors other Lumix and Olympus cameras I worked with don't have that issue.

Seriously this time.
I used to use those sticky dab things and ended up with a with a mosaic of 'dab' marks all over the sensor glass.
[ shamefully, I cleaned them off with a cotton bud :eek: ]
I've seen those sticky things, never made sense to me. I always imagined exactly what you describe.

RePo #2 cutting polish, followed by high carnauba wax finishing polish.

Wait. We are talking about car headlight lenses, aren't we?

:rofl:

BTW, the above works a treat on polycarbonate headlight lenses. Repeat every 6-12 months, depending on UV exposure.
John i tried that on granddaughters car
It started and finished looking like some poor persons very cloudy cataract!

My only attempt to clean a sensor on EM5 was a disaster.
Looked like my glasses after darling little snotty fisted grandchildren had just plucked them up in their hands :love:
Cost more than second hand camera price to send away for clean 😊

I never noticed anything on the A7IV and there were only a couple small spots on the A7RIII that showed up when stopped down. But, I figured as long as I was going to dive in, may as well do them both. In for a penny, in for a pound. I didn't know if there'd even be anything on the A7IV, but stopped down to 22 I saw a half dozen or so specs. In-camera cleaning took care of about half of them. I probably could've let it go but I wouldn't have been able to sleep. The RIII was really no worse once in-camera was done. I'd used a jet blower on them before, but never did the shake-n-bake thing.

I've heard the stories about Sony sensors collecting dust. I think I did myself a huge favor taking two cameras to the drag strip to avoid lens changes in some of the dirtiest air I've ever breathed. All that tire smoke, alcohol, and nitro, not to mention the glue they spray for traction. It's like a cocktail of airborne debris.

The A7IV has a feature that will close the shutter when powered off to keep dust from getting on the sensor. It strikes me that any dust landing on the shutter is just going to become dislodged and end up on the sensor the first time the shutter activates anyway. 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, I now have two of the cleanest sensors on the forum! How dya' like them apples! :laugh1:

John i tried that on granddaughters car
It started and finished looking like some poor persons very cloudy cataract!

My only attempt to clean a sensor on EM5 was a disaster.
Looked like my glasses after darling little snotty fisted grandchildren had just plucked them up in their hands :love:
Cost more than second hand camera price to send away for clean 😊
Before:
E-M1_MkI_JAK_2020-_M115230.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

After:

E-M1_MkI_JAK_2020-_M115233.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back