Just got done cleaning sensors in both my cameras

I have had some serious dusty sensors. None more than the GX8 after swapping lenses under way in the bush in Kenya, so the last couple of 1000s pictures from that outing have some bunnies here and there, something I didnt see before I was back home.

Anyhow, got a VGSO sensor cleaning kit after that, and run a cleaning routine with some regularity. Starting with the internal dust shake program as well as taking a blower to the sensor, with the camera turned front down without lens, so that any dislodged stuff falls down and out.

There shall be some major stuff before the VGSO kit is brought forth, though. The last time that happened was when I bought the GX800, which came with a very grubby sensor that needed several pads to be decent.

I also find it to be very useful to use either some seriously strong glasses, or a loupe, both options with added light to inspect the sensor for the pesky stuff.

I take my cameras out into the rain and snow, and to the beach where it gets splashed with sea water. But I'm too fearful of cleaning the sensors because I don't know enough about it. I'd probably end up leaving more dust on it or scratch it somehow.

It never ceases to amaze me just how simple it is, or how much I stress about it ahead of time.
What setting did you use on the camera?
Always wanted to do this myself, but not game yet.

I have seen these two settings recommended
Silent shutter so the mechanical shutter count not actuate
Leave IBIS on to hold it still and not damage magnets or springs due to moving the sensor while cleaning

Leave IBIS on to hold it still and not damage magnets or springs due to moving the sensor while cleaning
I seem to recall that Olympus states that the camera must be ON when the sensor is being cleaned. As I said before, I've never had to clean any of the sensors in my 6 Olympus bodies, FTs or mFTs.

OFF! With a mirrorless camera, there's nothing to get in the way. Turning it off ensures no accidental actuations. Cleaned my Panasonics the same way. Yes, the sensor will rock and move a little, but you wipe on one direction, once, then in the opposite direction, once, with mild pressure. Not a big deal. Nowhere near as violent as the in-camera shake-n-bake!

Since this thread seems to have gotten legs, here's the VSGO cleaning kit I used for anyone interested in DIY cleaning. It's a pretty good deal. I think I paid about twice as much several years ago for my Panasonics. Prices have come down. This one is full frame, they also have for other sizes.

I bought two sets for the discount because when I cleaned my Pannys it took 9 swabs of the 12 they provide. This time I only used 2 swabs so I have an entire unopened kit and 10 left from the first. I should be all set for the next millennium!

Here are my sample/test shots with the A7RIII. The first two are a bit grainy because I had ISO set to 12,500.

( :hmmm: hmmm...why is this still too bright with a shutter speed of 1/8000? :doh:)

Check before cleaning:
52656470598_3fa1c2569d_b.jpg
A7RIII 1 (2) by telecast, on Flickr

After in-camera shake and rocket blower:
52655492067_3d80c88b3e_b.jpg
A7RIII 2 (2) by telecast, on Flickr

After swabbing:
52655981371_77af5a34e7_b.jpg
A7RIII 3 (2) by telecast, on Flickr

Last edited:
Since this thread seems to have gotten legs, here's the VSGO cleaning kit I used for anyone interested in DIY cleaning. It's a pretty good deal. I think I paid about twice as much several years ago for my Panasonics. Prices have come down. This one is full frame, they also have for other sizes.

I bought two sets for the discount because when I cleaned my Pannys it took 9 swabs of the 12 they provide. This time I only used 2 swabs so I have an entire unopened kit and 10 left from the first. I should be all set for the next millennium!

Here are my sample/test shots with the A7RIII. The first two are a bit grainy because I had ISO set to 12,500.

( :hmmm: hmmm...why is this still too bright with a shutter speed of 1/8000? :doh:)

Check before cleaning:
View attachment 361297A7RIII 1 (2) by telecast, on Flickr

After in-camera shake and rocket blower:
View attachment 361298A7RIII 2 (2) by telecast, on Flickr

After swabbing:
View attachment 361299A7RIII 3 (2) by telecast, on Flickr
I use the same kit for cleaning. Although I’ve only ever had to clean my Nikons. Something about their sensors are magnets. Even the DSLR’s, but especially the mirrorless ones. On the flip side, I’ve never had to clean an Olympus, even after years of use.

I use the same kit for cleaning. Although I’ve only ever had to clean my Nikons. Something about their sensors are magnets. Even the DSLR’s, but especially the mirrorless ones. On the flip side, I’ve never had to clean an Olympus, even after years of use.
I shot a few pictures with my E-M1.3 using the 8mm f1.8 at f16. I noticed a translucent blotch in the blue sky. A piece of 30 year old lens cleaning tissue and a droplet of 99% isopropyl alcohol cleaned it right up. I didn't bother to scrub it. A drag of the folded end of the tissue was enough pressure when combined with the alcohol.

That's dramatic change.
I think hers were far worse than that. But it's worth another go.
Thanks for the comparisons
Richard, you're welcome. Just make sure that you avoid getting the cutting polish on the clear coat paint finish. VERY important!

I takes a fair bit of really hard rubbing with the cutting polish for about 5-10 minutes per lens. If they are really bad, just keep at it until you get to a clear base level. Wipe the lens clean and restart every minute or so, using a fresh part of the cloth, and new cutting polish. I find that old cotton undies are very suitable.

Once you are down to a clear base layer, wipe very clean, polish with a clean cloth, then put a generous coating of the high quality carnauba wax polish on for some UV protection.

Polish with another clean cloth.

A LOT cheaper than $1,200+ for new headlights ...

Just to add a bit more.
I bought an immaculate EM1 i with a very low shutter count on Ebay and it wasn't until a month or so later that I noticed a spot on some of my pics.
On close inspection I could see a definite squiggle on the sensor. Wet cleaning didn't help and I finally concluded the spot/wiggle was under the sensor glass and couldn't be shifted.
I contacted the seller about it but he chose not to respond.
I ended up selling it at a discount while stating very clearly in the add what the problem was.
So, in my experience, this can always be a possibility [although I guess a rare one].
The bottom line though is that spots can generally be easily removed in post processing....often with a dedicated tool.
I don't find wet cleaning too daunting but for people a bit hesitant about it there is always the PP option and then forget about cleaning unless there is a mass of gunk on the sensor.

Just to add a bit more.
I bought an immaculate EM1 i with a very low shutter count on Ebay and it wasn't until a month or so later that I noticed a spot on some of my pics.
On close inspection I could see a definite squiggle on the sensor. Wet cleaning didn't help and I finally concluded the spot/wiggle was under the sensor glass and couldn't be shifted.
I contacted the seller about it but he chose not to respond.
I ended up selling it at a discount while stating very clearly in the add what the problem was.
So, in my experience, this can always be a possibility [although I guess a rare one].
The bottom line though is that spots can generally be easily removed in post processing....often with a dedicated tool.
I don't find wet cleaning too daunting but for people a bit hesitant about it there is always the PP option and then forget about cleaning unless there is a mass of gunk on the sensor.
Stu, my new E-M1 MkI came with a factory installed load of crap on its sensor. Looked like snot, but only visible at f/16 and smaller. Olympus Oz fixed that, the dodgy rear wheel problem and checked the strap lugs at the same time.

Other than that, never had a problem that the built-in dust buster didn't fix, often between one shot and the next (I almost always power the camera off after shooting).

Richard, you're welcome. Just make sure that you avoid getting the cutting polish on the clear coat paint finish. VERY important!

I takes a fair bit of really hard rubbing with the cutting polish for about 5-10 minutes per lens. If they are really bad, just keep at it until you get to a clear base level. Wipe the lens clean and restart every minute or so, using a fresh part of the cloth, and new cutting polish. I find that old cotton undies are very suitable.

Once you are down to a clear base layer, wipe very clean, polish with a clean cloth, then put a generous coating of the high quality carnauba wax polish on for some UV protection.

Polish with another clean cloth.

A LOT cheaper than $1,200+ for new headlights ...
Thanks John
I wasn't confident to get too vigorous.
I'd imagined permanent extra damage to the very foggy cover.
Good to know thanks

For Sony bodies - or at least on the A7ii and A7R3 - there is a menu option for "cleaning mode". My understanding is that after it shakes the sensor it locks down the IBIS. And that you should leave power on at that point, so that the sensor does not float around while swabbing it. I read this on internet sites from people claiming to be pros, so it must be true. That said, the few times I've wet cleaned my sensors it was with the power off and no harm as far as I can tell.

For Sony bodies - or at least on the A7ii and A7R3 - there is a menu option for "cleaning mode". My understanding is that after it shakes the sensor it locks down the IBIS. And that you should leave power on at that point, so that the sensor does not float around while swabbing it. I read this on internet sites from people claiming to be pros, so it must be true. That said, the few times I've wet cleaned my sensors it was with the power off and no harm as far as I can tell.
The instruction on Sony's website are to use the in-camera cleaning, then TURN THE CAMERA OFF. If the shake-n-bake fails to clear the sensor, consult a repair facility. You can go directly to Sony's site to read and/or watch a video.

The instructions to leave the camera on in cleaning mode apply to DSLRs, which locks the mirror up out of the way and disables the shutter. Mirrorless cameras don't have (or need) that feature. I'd rather the sensor move around a bit than risk the fragile shutter.

It was a Sony-specific cleaning tutorial. Their assertion had nothing to do with mirror lockup, and they specifically called out IBIS lockdown. It seemed like a bad idea to me to put fluids in a powered up device, so I ignored them. I was actually tongue-in-cheek about the "advice" but I guess that was not apparent.

You must have a body where the shutter stays closed to keep out dust? On my older A7Riii, the shutter is always out of sight and not at risk.

It was a Sony-specific cleaning tutorial. Their assertion had nothing to do with mirror lockup, and they specifically called out IBIS lockdown. It seemed like a bad idea to me to put fluids in a powered up device, so I ignored them. I was actually tongue-in-cheek about the "advice" but I guess that was not apparent.

You must have a body where the shutter stays closed to keep out dust? On my older A7Riii, the shutter is always out of sight and not at risk.
I read the Sony instructions before cleaning and again after your post, directly on their page. If you can find the instruction you cite please post a link. I'd like to see them.

It's not a matter of having the shutter 'out of site and not at risk'. If the camera is on and you inadvertently touch the shutter button while the swab is in the way, bye-bye shutter.

Brownie, I must be a horrible writer; I am agreeing with you. It was not from Sony, just some youtuber from like two years ago.

Back