Fuji Just got my X100S today, and I already broke the thing!

Amin

Hall of Famer
I guess this is what they call a cautionary tale. I bought an X100S from another member today. When I screwed in the soft release, I applied a lot of force because I've had them fall out before after prolonged use. Unfortunately, it was too much force, and the power switch turned past the point where it was supposed to stop. Now it doesn't line up properly with "Off" and "On", and the tactile feedback of powering off/on isn't quite right.

I guess it's no big deal since the camera takes photos as well as ever, but I'm pretty irritated with myself for breaking the darn switch and a little irritated with Fuji for making a switch which broke pretty easily. It's been a clumsy week for me - cracked the glass screen on my Galaxy Note 2 phone just a few days ago!

Eventually I guess I'll send the camera to the Fuji service center in Edison, NJ. Hopefully they'll honor an international warranty.

They should, I bought my XP1 in Japan and I managed to twist off the focus switch at the side of the camera (not the camera's fault, I was exerting a lot of pressure) and brought the camera and the warranty to my official Fuji dealer here in Australia and told them "I don't know what happened, it just twisted off"they honored the warranty and repaired it.

I wouldn't wait too long for it though.

can you snap it back, turning it the other direction?

i thought it was odd when i contacted fuji at the edison location for some warranty work, but was directed to some camera shop in miami.

(Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk)

Bummer Amin, sorry to hear your news.

For those who battle with soft releases int the future, I found a great fix which does not involve nail polish or Loctite - as I don;t lioke the idea of things flaking into my shutter assembly and simply costs a trip to the hardware and about $1. Find yourself a round rubber (o-ring) washer that fits the thread of the soft release and screw in. It will only go a few turns and the resistance offered by the release will keep it all in place. Have had mine on the X10s for a month and not even a little loosening...

Looks like the attached (not my image but mine looks exactly the same).

...sorry I didn't mention this earlier Amin. Hope it all comes back mended as the X100s is a dream camera to get t know.

Attachments

• bop-oring-4070.jpg
    bop-oring-4070.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 843
I'm using the same fix on my camera Mark, after one of my soft releases came off and got lost in the past. It's worked perfectly without a hitch since I started using the small o-ring.

Am I the only one that uses the camera the way it was made? No soft release = no problem. Sorry for your loss Amin. But it still turns on and off....correct? Just not in the same location that it used to?

Am I the only one that uses the camera the way it was made?
Yes! Weirdo.....

..... just kidding brother. It does feel nicer with a soft release. I am waiting for my Tom A (rapidwinder) MiniSoftie to arrive. I hear they are sweet and a big improvement on my current matchTechnical.

Am I the only one that uses the camera the way it was made? No soft release = no problem. Sorry for your loss Amin. But it still turns on and off....correct? Just not in the same location that it used to?

Yep, works fine. No big deal, really.

I'll add my sorry here, too. I am glad, however, that it still works. I had a soft release once - remember Mark? - and lost it pretty quickly. I may try again now that I know the O ring secret. I do like to looks of 'em.

Congrats on the X100S, anyhow, Amin.:drinks:

you'd think that a part that was made to have something screwed into it would have some sort of safety built into it to protect against overzealous screwers.

Fwiw, I've screwed at least as hard into an M6, M9, and X-E1 with no ill effects. Only the X100S reacted this way. On the bright side of things, my enjoyment of the camera is undiminished.

Quick wide open portrait of my dad who was up for the weekend:

9214063548_75b1ed8b4b_b.jpg

Dad by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

Make that three with no soft release. I lost a couple of these from a m6 years ago and ultimately decided to give up on them.
But, the o-ring trick is a good thing to know, if I ever try again.
Sorry to hear about the issue. If you do end up trying the international warranty, I would be curious how it works. I got my X100s new through eBay from Ireland.

Man, Fuji must have an investment in the O-ring firms. Great solution here (although I've never had any problem with soft-releases breaking the on-off mech) and to the loose aperture ring on the 14mm lens also.

Amin, I once bought a fancy new camera and managed to totally mangle the hot-shoe over-zealously installing a cheap thumb-up knockoff that was poorly designed and which I installed very poorly. So, I feel your pain. I think it ended up costing a couple hundred bucks to fix - not too painful in the long run, but stuff like that can make a guy feel pretty stupid!

-Ray

I remember two years ago reading a post on another forum describing how a soft release on an X100 got caught up in something in a camera bag and wrenched off the whole release & on/off switch. The accompanying pictures were enough to persuade me to remove the soft release from my X100. I think that modern digital cameras, because they are designed around electrical switches are not so robust as the old film cameras. YMMV.

Back