Just handled Nikon d600 at Hunts

wt21

Hall of Famer
Dropped by Hunts and handled a d600.

The lens kit includes a new 24-85 3.5-4.5 VR. That's a lens I'd love on FF. Also, its very close focusing. I filled up the entire VF with the salesman's face at 85mm.

The camera feels VERY nice in the hand. Its a good weight and size. And DXO just gave it the second highest sensor rating ever (behind the d800).

Its out of my league in terms of justifying a purchase, but if you have any remaining infatuation with DSLRs, and are wishing for FF, this is a machine worth cheking out.

Thanks for the impressions... been resisting going into the camera shop myself.

Did it feel similar in hand to the D7000, or more of a mini-800?

I really talked myself out of DSLRs, but the D600 and the three newer G primes would be a great setup, huh?

I am not a big Nikon user. Have been Canon and m43. Having said that, I tried some of the other Nikon bodies. In my uneducated opinion, it's it's own feel. It is closest to the D7000, but in my hand felt more comfortable. The D7000 was a bit narrower and felt "taller" (a bit top heavy?) whereas the 600D felt just solid. I also put it next to a Canon 60D, and it was slightly larger than the 60D (I understand Canon's 6D is about the same size as the 60D).

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

I'm thinking of re-acquiring a FF DSLR with the holidays coming up, but I think I might just get a Canon 5Dc -- I like the file sizes and feel, and they're only about $500 now, though there is no sensor dust cleaning, etc.

Or, if I think of it as just a holiday "rental" (i.e. sell it after new years) maybe I should try a 5dii or a D700. Hmmmm....

I am not a big Nikon user. Have been Canon and m43. Having said that, I tried some of the other Nikon bodies. In my uneducated opinion, it's it's own feel. It is closest to the D7000, but in my hand felt more comfortable. The D7000 was a bit narrower and felt "taller" (a bit top heavy?) whereas the 600D felt just solid. I also put it next to a Canon 60D, and it was slightly larger than the 60D (I understand Canon's 6D is about the same size as the 60D).

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

I'm thinking of re-acquiring a FF DSLR with the holidays coming up, but I think I might just get a Canon 5Dc -- I like the file sizes and feel, and they're only about $500 now, though there is no sensor dust cleaning, etc.

Or, if I think of it as just a holiday "rental" (i.e. sell it after new years) maybe I should try a 5dii or a D700. Hmmmm....

There is a first impressions post at the Luminous Landscape site:
Nikon D600 First Impressions

I'm also considering adding a FF back in to my kit. I was always a Canon person (though we had Nikons at work). The original 5D was a great camera for me. This time though, I would likely go Nikon with the D600.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying my Fuji more than ever: the firmware update has transformed the camera, at least for my uses.

I bought a D600 a couple of days ago and had a D7000 before (now sold). I remember when I got the D7000, coming from a D300s, I felt the grip was a lot smaller. My pinky finger didn't get a good grip on the D7000. I often carry my camera in one hand holding the grip, and on the D7000 I used to rub the back of my finger tips on the rugged part of the lens. This does not seem to happen with the D600. The D600 grip feels very much the same in style, but is a little bit wider/ticker, so it feels better. I also now get a better rest for my pinky finger (who used to flip open the tiny rubber thing next to the battery door).

My only grip:)rolleyes:) is that the tip of my fingers/nails rub against the camera body. This didn't happen on the D7000 because due to the smaller body/grip I held it a little bit differently. However, it's no big issue to me and it probably is all about getting used to a slightly different grip, but you may want to keep your nails short if you have long fingers.

I love the camera and a few of my lenses that I had been thinking of selling suddenly get used (like the 50mm that I never used on the DX). But I also need to replace my two DX-lenses with something similar in FX.

Well, I went to the camera store, and tried out various DSLRs. The D600 is a complete marvel, IMO, but I just can't justify the cost. They had a 5Dc that they were willing to talk down to $550 for. Full frame for $550. I figured I'd go back to my 'ol stomping grounds (Canon) for Christmas and sell it again in January. But I'm very, very impressed with Nikon. I am thinking I may still make the switch next year for my DSLR (my compact cameras being 5n and RX100)

The shop across from my supermarket had it today. I wanted to touch/feel the body. It is big but not too heavy. I will go back and fit an old Nikon F lens on it to see what it is like. However, I am not going to pay current prices for it, and I am not sure that I can ever go back to a DSLR, I will probably wait for FF mirrorless.

Back