Film Just joined, minutes ago

Ricoh

Regular
I'm currently shooting digital using micro 4/3, and I'm a member of Amin's sister site (Mu-43).
Im not sure what it is that continues to draw me towards film, maybe the years before the mast, as it were, maybe the process (I had a dark room, but that's long gone), the smell of the chemicals, the latent images appearing like magic out of the witches brew. But more than anything I liked the simplicity of the manual camera, ISO set by film (could be pushed), aperture and shutter speed fully under user control, manual focusing ... The list could go on.

I have a Pentax MX (not the best camera on the planet) and a number of lenses at my disposal. What deters me is the digitisation of the processed film, but I hope to get inspiration here.

I really covet a Leica, maybe an M6. Ok the cost of the body is sort of manageable (as long as I don't tell the wife) but the glasswear is phenomenally expensive, and living in the UK doesn't really help when it comes to prices (to put it in perspective, I find the numbers after the $ and £ are used interchangeably, without taking into account the exchange rate. :()

Cheers.
Steve.

Welcome Steve, take a look at Zeiss ZM lenses or Voigtländer, much more affordable and generally very good quality. The Zeiss ZM Biogon C 35/2.8 is an excellent lens.

-Thomas

Welcome! The M6 was my entry point into film leicas, I absolutely loved my M6. If I was starting over with film leicas, and no digital M body, I'd restrict my M lenses to only older Mandler designed lenses as they tend to cost significantly less than the current versions.

I'm assuming you haven't shot with one before, which may be incorrect . . . I'd try a cheaper range-finder - see if its a style of shooting you'd enjoy.

Maybe a Olympus 35 SP (or RC) or Yashica Electro 35 ? Or a more modern Bessa R ?

That's right, but I have had a test drive of an M240. It took a bit of time to get used to rangefinder focusing, but what I liked was the discipline required giving a greater level of involvement with the camera compared to modern fully digital cameras. I also think it forces you you engage more and to think about composition. At the moment I'm just thinking about playing with film, so I'll probably start with my Pentax MX, since I own one, and see where that takes me.

At the moment I'm just thinking about playing with film, so I'll probably start with my Pentax MX, since I own one, and see where that takes me.

I think that is a good start. Plus, that Pentax MX is a nice camera, very compact. Some of the Pentax primes are pretty nice too from what I remember, but it's been a while.

-Thomas

Hi Steve - we meet again (in cyberspace!). Looking forward to seeing some image off that MX of yours. I had an ME some years ago after a lovely Spotmatic II I had had for years was stolen.

Indeed Paul, no escape!!
(I trust you know I don't mean that!)

Yes I have the trusty MX languishing together with a small selection of glasswear, plus a Rollie 35LED.
I've looked at the cost of PP'ing, including scanning, and its a bit off putting to be honest.
What about you, do you have a film camera you plan to use, and have you any thoughts about economical processing?
Cheers for now.
Steve.

I think I'll develop the film myself Steve (I've just put a bid in on eBay for an old Patterson tank!) and then find a scanner to get them onto the computer. I'm still trying to get my head around scanners. There are plenty of 5Mp scanners for less then £50, but I'm assuming these won't really be of a quality that I'd be happy with. There are higher res units delivering 14 or 22Mp for a little under a £100 which might be a better bet. However, it seems the more professional ones are several hundred pounds - which I can't justify at all for just some playing around. It might be hip and fun to use film, but I really can't see it being superior in any meaningful way to digital.

Another idea would be to rig-up some holder and light box and then use the E-M1 with a macro lens or close-up adapter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm assuming you haven't shot with one before, which may be incorrect . . . I'd try a cheaper range-finder - see if its a style of shooting you'd enjoy.

Maybe a Olympus 35 SP (or RC) or Yashica Electro 35 ? Or a more modern Bessa R ?

You can get hooked on the Olympus 35SP. It's cheaper, but the lens on it is world class. I'm not Leica bashing, and would love either an M-6 or M-4 -- but will probably get another Bessa instead.

HI Steve, welcome. I have a Olympus OMD e-m5 as my digital. I recently picked up a Leica CL to get into the Leica world. The price is more manageable compared to other M bodies. The CL was made by minolta but the design was Leica, it takes M mount lenses. PLUS the CL has TTL metering, if you can get a body with a working meter.

Back