Fuji Just one more lens.. (Help me with gear lust syndrome..)

Karl

Regular
So while the sale on the Fuji gear is on for a couple more days.. was thinking about adding one more piece of glass.

What I have.. XT-1, XM-1 (with kit zoom), 18-135, 10-24, 56 (non APD), and the 60.

What I shoot: General travel, landscapes, night shots, and some macro work or closeup detail type shots. On my old Nikon gear, my mainstays were either my 17-35 zoom, or jumping up to my 85 1.4.

I was considering getting a pancake 27 to have something small and light, but Lightmancer has me considering the 35 f2 now. :)

I know the 90 is superb, but it's also an additional larger piece of glass in the bag, and I'm not sure I'd shoot as much at a 135 equivalent.

Perhaps this is what I'm looking for.. a relatively fast lens (2.0 or better) that I can shoot in a restaurant at night without it being imposing, and be able to focus on a coffee cup in the middle of the table in front of me (so the min working distance is important..)

Thoughts? :D

Alright.. you talked me into the 35-2.. at least it wasn't on sale so I can sell my remaining Nikon/Nikkor first... :D

Perhaps this is what I'm looking for.. a relatively fast lens (2.0 or better) that I can shoot in a restaurant at night without it being imposing, and be able to focus on a coffee cup in the middle of the table in front of me (so the min working distance is important..)

Thoughts? :D

23/1.4 !

Last edited by a moderator:
So some more musings here... been playing with my new 10-24, and while I like the range, the f4 is certainly limiting if I'm going in real close, can't knock that background out.

So here's a question for those with the 35/2.. can someone do some 1-foot working distance shots, and show how well the background is knocked out?

The 23/1.4 and the 35/1.4 both give a min working distance of 280mm, while the 35/2 is 350mm, which is a bit longer... (the zoom is 240, but alas, f4)

I would choose 23/1.4 or as second option: 35/1.4

I tested to travel light and took only 23/1.4 and zoom lens XF 55-200 with me for a vacation. And the 23mm was like glued to my X-T1. So, I'd pick 23/1.4 any day and after firmware updates 35/1.4 is not bad either.

The 23 f1.4 would be my pick as well. I just shot something really close last night, goofing off with the daughter, and I want to say it was well within a foot of the front of the lens. The min focus distance is plenty close.

As for bokeh, a few from the 23 from this past week:

At 1.4, subject about 3 feet away, background maybe 12 feet back
View attachment 25456KBRX7640 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

At 2.8, subject 5 feet away, background more like 40 feet
23548627304_e813ce1a58_c.jpg
KBRX8603
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Nice shots!

My concern with the 35/2 at this point is that focusing distance. that extra 3 inches could be the make or break, where with the 10-24 the background just isn't out enough for close work.

I need to get out in the field with the 10-24, but for that final lens pickup.. it really does need to be one lens, picked carefully.

Plus an extension ring...? They weigh nothing and are readily available on the used market now. I have one but have not had the chance to try it with the f2 yet.

I suspect your instincts serve you well here. Coincidently, Mike Johnston posted some thoughts about this lens and focal length this week on his The Online Photographer site:

The Online Photographer: The Fuji XF 90mm ƒ/2: Sharpest Lens Ever

Yeah, the length of a 135 equiv is an interesting choice.. it can work well to isolate subjects, provided you have the working distance you need. I've never had a 135 in my bag, it's always been an 85 and either a 180 or 70-200ish zoom. But there was one interesting note about the 135 equiv in that post, the issue of compression. It can be very useful, given the right subject matter.

Since I'm likely waiting for the next Fuji sale (late spring-ish probably?) I need to get out more with the gear I have, and see what it is that I'm wishing I had in the bag...

Back