Sigma Just ordered my Sigma DP3 Merrill

shelton

Hi All

I just found this forum. Let me tell you how I came across the Sigma DP Merrills.

I am coming from the Canon Powershot G Series of cameras. I have used the Canon G9 and Canon G11. I shoot mainly candid street portraits and mainly use manual focus and found myself always using the M (Manual) mode on the canon G11. The G11 camera (and G series overall), although it is a really neat camera, I felt I needed something without all the bells and whistles, such as scene modes for example. When I first came across the specs for the Sigma DP Merrills, I admit I laughed out loud because 40+MP sounded just too good to be true! Then I did some research and noticed that this camera does not have AUTO mode, does not have Scene modes, does not have many other features which I hardly use on my current P&S, and is basically like a Film camera of yesteryear. But it does have very good image quality. All this is exactly what I was looking for. So I am hoping to be challenged by this camera and hope to improve my photography skills.

Cheers
Shelton

Thanks Bill - actually I am from Australia as well - only on the other side - Brisbane :)
I was looking for another camera after I felt I grew out of the Canon G11 and nothing really took my eye until I came across the Merrills. I was looking at moving up from the 1/7 inch sensor size so this seems to be a good match.

Shelton

Hi and welcome Shelton - I too am intrigued by these cameras. They have some well known 'quirks' but you can't argue with the IQ.

I took these outside my door as soon as I got my DP3M today. (Dec. 8th 2014)
15977720052_349cd751b0.jpg
[/url]Zoom on Birds-DP3M by Lainey1, on Flickr[/IMG]
15977719512_f6a7e7ca55.jpg
[/url]Zoom on Birds-DP3M by Lainey1, on Flickr[/IMG]

And this is of my dog Ozzy that I took indoors, handheld at ISO 400, F/2.8 1/40th second. Converted to B&W.Focused on his eye.

15977946191_89bed19791.jpg
[/url]Sigma DP3M by Lainey1, on Flickr[/IMG]

and this one of his ears in color at ISO 200.
15977946011_7d3e03930e.jpg
[/url]Ears-Sigma DP3M by Lainey1, on Flickr[/IMG]

I just got my DP3M today. I already have the Sigma DP2M. Yeah, they are a pain to use, but NOTHING comes close to the files I get from this camera. I've used a lot of gear in my time, mostly film too. So even though these cameras are limited for ISO range and other things, the files are just so different and more film-like than anything I've ever seen. Lots of Dynamic Range. I'm glad most people don't use these. Leave them to their Canon and Nikon Bayer sensors. LOL!
15977946191_89bed19791_b.jpg
[/url]Sigma DP3M by Lainey1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Back