Fuji Just shot pictures review + B+W UV filter

fujinewbie1

Hi all,

I purchased an amazing X100s last week, and I've a couple of questions:

1. Being afraid to ruin ar scratch the front glass, yesterday I put on a B+W UV-haze filter 010 (model 70092): do you have any experience with this filter? If I should not use it and - in the future - I should scratch the front glass, do you think that Fuji could replace it paying a reasonable fee?

2. Usually I shoot jpeg+RAW. I love how the camera renders the jpegs, but usually I need the RAW to preserve the original image and eventually work on it. When I shot jpeg+RAW, I can playback and review just one picture: is it the jpeg, right? Or is it the RAW? Is there a way to view both?

Thanks to all that could answer.

Welcome to the forum! Regarding your questions:

1. The only issues I've heard of regarding issues with B+W filters is with the slim multi-coated filters that mount closer to the lens. The lens can sometimes hit the filter when the camera is switched into macro mode. I think your filter should be fine. Should you scratch the front element and need to have it replaced I would suspect that it would be a pretty expensive repair seeing as the lens assembly is all one unit, but I'm just speculating here. If you're worried about it, a filter is probably the best way to protect the lens.

2. I believe the camera will always display the JPEG image based on current JPEG settings you have enabled, even if you're shooting RAW. There is no way to see the RAW image in camera. Even when import into programs like Adobe Lightroom, you initially see what the JPEG looks like for a second before the software renders the RAW image.

You neglected to mention: are you using a filter adapter ring? Or screwing the filter backwards onto the threads of where you removed the trim ring? The latter is a BAD idea.

You should use an adapter of some kind to space the filter out. You will have a potential to do severe damage if not.

What some of us (me included at one point) do is to take an old cheapy 49mm filter and knock the glass out of it and use it as a spacer between our good filter and the lens.

Also, if that B+W UV filter is not the "digital multicoated" kind with the super transmissive coating you may get flares or ghosting more so than the lens alone. I haven't gone and looked at that filter but it's a good idea to get one of the newer super-duper coatings especially with wide angle lenses.

Hi, thanks for your answer. I've the original adapter ring. The filter is not multi-coated, at least according to the other B+W filters that - when multi-coated - are named MRC. This is not.

Welcome to the forum! Regarding your questions:

1. The only issues I've heard of regarding issues with B+W filters is with the slim multi-coated filters that mount closer to the lens. The lens can sometimes hit the filter when the camera is switched into macro mode. I think your filter should be fine. Should you scratch the front element and need to have it replaced I would suspect that it would be a pretty expensive repair seeing as the lens assembly is all one unit, but I'm just speculating here. If you're worried about it, a filter is probably the best way to protect the lens.

2. I believe the camera will always display the JPEG image based on current JPEG settings you have enabled, even if you're shooting RAW. There is no way to see the RAW image in camera. Even when import into programs like Adobe Lightroom, you initially see what the JPEG looks like for a second before the software renders the RAW image.

Very useful answers, thanks.

1. I was thinking to change the filter to a B+W MRC, using it with the adapter ring should be fine, despite it won't fit anymore in the original leather case (that I purchased with the hood and adapter for a total of 45 Euros! Super Lucky, super offer).

One more question about the front glass: I'm that kind of guy that takes a lot of care about my stuff. Never scratched or hit a filter in front of a lens. My question is: without using a filter to protect the front glass, if it should become dirty, or should be touched my my nephew's oily fingers, or if some salty sea water spray should make a glaze on the front glass... can I simply clean it with a lenspen, or a microfiber cloth, without being afraid of scratching it? So air blow, then microfiber or lens pen....

Sorry but I always has a filter in front of my Canon DSLR, but I would love to use the X100s without filters, despite my fear of finding dust everywhere around the front glass...

2. I thought it was like this. Thanks. My question here is: why Lightroom then imports only RAW files, and only the jpegs that are shot without RAW counterpart? I mean... if I shoot RAW+jpeg in black and white, Lightroom imports just the colour RAW file, not the jpeg X100s render... I must get it from the card manually.

Thanks again guys.

Very useful answers, thanks.

1. I was thinking to change the filter to a B+W MRC, using it with the adapter ring should be fine, despite it won't fit anymore in the original leather case (that I purchased with the hood and adapter for a total of 45 Euros! Super Lucky, super offer).

One more question about the front glass: I'm that kind of guy that takes a lot of care about my stuff. Never scratched or hit a filter in front of a lens. My question is: without using a filter to protect the front glass, if it should become dirty, or should be touched my my nephew's oily fingers, or if some salty sea water spray should make a glaze on the front glass... can I simply clean it with a lenspen, or a microfiber cloth, without being afraid of scratching it? So air blow, then microfiber or lens pen....

Sorry but I always has a filter in front of my Canon DSLR, but I would love to use the X100s without filters, despite my fear of finding dust everywhere around the front glass...

2. I thought it was like this. Thanks. My question here is: why Lightroom then imports only RAW files, and only the jpegs that are shot without RAW counterpart? I mean... if I shoot RAW+jpeg in black and white, Lightroom imports just the colour RAW file, not the jpeg X100s render... I must get it from the card manually.

Thanks again guys.

1. I've used a lenspen to clean both the lens and the EVF/OVF glass - first using the brush portion to sweep away particles and then the disc to remove marks. I haven't had any problems using it. I now have a filter over the lens and haven't noticed any meaningful image degradation so intend to just keep the filter on from here on out.

2. I was referring only to how LR imports the RAW files - If you shoot RAW + JPEG, LR will import both files automatically.

1. I've used a lenspen to clean both the lens and the EVF/OVF glass - first using the brush portion to sweep away particles and then the disc to remove marks. I haven't had any problems using it. I now have a filter over the lens and haven't noticed any meaningful image degradation so intend to just keep the filter on from here on out.

2. I was referring only to how LR imports the RAW files - If you shoot RAW + JPEG, LR will import both files automatically.

I've used Lenspen also without issues.

I always use filters, but I shoot in a lot of conditions where it's easy to damage stuff.

The front element has a super hard protective coating. So cleaning isn't a problem, I use a Lenspen, microfiber cloth, cleaning solution w/ tissues and typically some spit and shirt tail ... all without negative effect. The front element is used primarily for light gathering and not a lot of focus. A scratch will have insignificant if any affect on your images, (which doesn't lessen any value of care). I suggest you keep a protective filter on at all times, unless you get flare or ghosting. The protective filter also has a hard coating to minimize harm from ... harmful elements including typical lens cleaning solutions and cleaning materials.

Gary

Thanks everybody.

@ean10775
Regarding Lightroom import, I noticed it does not import both RAW and jpegs. I didn't open LR yet before this post, do you think I could change some setting?

Back