Fuji Just sold my X10, now which to pre-order, X100s or X20?

ci-lee

Regular
I'm wondering if the new 2/3 X-Trans sensor will be equiv. to 12MP m43 like they claim. If so, I'd def get that over the X100s. The 's' is awesome but not sure I can live with one focal length, plus X20 has OIS (offsetting low light performance a bit, maybe 1.5 stops), tele for portraits w/decent DOF. Plus I still have various 46mm filters, nikon wc-e68 wide lens, 46mm step-up ring and a gariz case that I did not sell with the camera. Suppose I could sell those to further fund the X100s but the less expensive option seems more versatile potentially. Anyone else considering which one they're getting?

Fuji says X20 sensor quality beats the RX100 and 12 Megapixel MFT sensor. - Fuji Rumors

I'd say the existing X10 sensor is very close to the equal of the m43 12mp sensors, so I'd hope the X20 sensor will be better than that. Nonetheless, I can't imagine it'll come close to matching the much larger X-Trans in the X100s, X-Pro, or X-E1. So you just need to decide how much you're willing to trade off in terms of IQ for the more versatile zoom lens, and vice versa. We won't know for sure until the X20 is on the street for a while, but you have to figure there's an IQ tradeoff...

-Ray

.... Anyone else considering which one they're getting?
Yes, me.

Until about two weeks ago I was planning to buy a Sony RX100 for travel and social purposes and then to buy an X100s later in the year to enjoy the look and feel of it and for more creative moments. But with the announcement of the X20, and after reading sites like this and looking at a lot of X10 images I've decided that buying an X20 at this stage might make more sense, and may even answer both requirements.

I'd like to think that I might still get an X100s one day, but if the X20 is the camera I'm hoping it will be, maybe I won't need to ?

-R

Back