Pentax K-3 III Monochrome Sensor!

Well, upon initial inspection, this cat is alive. I'll determine overall health over the next week or two. :yahoo:

original.jpg

You cannot make us wait a week or two before posting pictures.

If all goes as planned, I'll be out Thursday or Friday, maybe both. Will post some pics showing the normal, soft and hard toning, and with yellow-green and orange filters. Might try some higher ISO stuff as well. No promises to anything resembling "photography" for the test shots.

edit to fix missing letters

Last edited:
That was surprisingly fast. Congratulations and now I need to squeegee the drool off my monitor.

Yes, it was faster than last week's delivery, and definitely faster than the ground service who let my lens sit in Phoenix for days instead of delivering early.

Soo... when are you ordering one? Inquiring minds want to know. :devilish:

Just an FYI, I won't be doing any detailed testing, especially side-by-side, as there are people already doing these and they're set up better for the tests.

Luigi Barbano has another video out showing the K3mkIII images converted to monchrome vs the K3mkIII Monochrome, really shows the high ISO differences.

Just an FYI, I won't be doing any detailed testing, especially side-by-side, as there are people already doing these and they're set up better for the tests.

Luigi Barbano has another video out showing the K3mkIII images converted to monchrome vs the K3mkIII Monochrome, really shows the high ISO differences.

We still want to see some images. I was a long time Pentax user, so I always root for them.

OK. Final ready for some posting.

1) Images posted aren't as sharp as on my monitor, monkery on websites seems to soften the images a bit.

2) Others are better setup for detailed testing, and much more knowledgeable than I, so I'll leave that to them. These are going to be snapshots or attempts at capturing stuff I normally do, initially with minimal mod so people can start getting an eye for how the base settings look in various situations.

3) Cloudless sky with a hint of haze from smoke today. Weather forecast is currently calling for 50% - 75% cloud coverage Sunday through Friday, with a chance of showers Sunday through Wednesday. If that holds true and I can get some sky & cloud snaps, I'll do another set of the Standard, Hard and Soft custom image settings with and without the yellow-green and orange filters.

4) This will be an on-going thing. I can already tell my settings are going to be modified and end up between Standard and Hard custom image settings. I might not need to even use filters, and might be able to spend significantly less time post processing.

edit - I forgot to lock exposure for the static test shots, so good chance I forgot something else along the way.

Last edited:
The next three sets of images were all taken from a monopod, Highlight-Weighted metering, no exposure comp, SR (Shake Reduction) on AUTO, 60-250 at 60mm and f/11, no adjustments to the Custom Image settings.

Standard custom image setting:

No filter
original.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Yellow-Green filter
original.jpg

Orange filter
original.jpg

Personal observations.

I know some like the low contrast/ high-key look, I'm not a big fan but it can be just right in certain circumstances. I'll likely not use that setting. Much.

To my eye, it looks as if the filters have the most effect on the Standard setting.

The 60-250 is a wonderful range for me, it's going to work great for landscape stuff. The 1.4xTC makes it barely adequate for supported (monopod) bird shots in trees/ at feeders. Will have to try it at a zoo. AF is a little slower than I'd like, but I knew that would likely be the case.

The handling of the K3mkIII (both of them) with the small Limited prime is wonderful. Only thing is I have to make sure to not let my finger rest in a spot where the focus ring is...

This is going to be fun wringing this out and seeing what I can do with it. Time will tell if it will be a long-term affair, or a one year fling.

Highlight-weighted metering I think is going to be my primary metering mode on the Monochrome.

This water bottle is bright white and reflective steel, a black sip cap, and with some subtle coloration in the graphics. Figured it would make a nice test subject. Standard, no filter, no adjustments, no post processing, resized for web - as close to SOOC as possible.
original.jpg

Took a tif into Affinity and processed to taste. Did a +1/3 exposure, increased contrast and clarity slightly, and brought up the shadows a little bit. Exported as another tif, then downsized and saved as jpg in Irfanview and posted.
original.jpg

Back