Pentax K-3mkIII Impressions

A couple more observations shooting the K-3III & X-H1 side-by-side.

X-H1 with dual UHS-II slots shoots more frames/ bursts before filling the buffer, and clears the buffer significantly faster, than the K-3III with only one UHS-II slot. And to be honest, I got tired of shooting 5-shot bursts with the X-H1, and the buffer still wasn't full enough to slow or stop the shooting process. Significant advantage to the Fuji, and is something I need to think about with regard to airshows. (Both cameras using UHS-II V90 cards, both set to shoot RAW + jpeg medium. X-H1 set for RAW + jpeg to both cards. K-3III set for RAW to card 1, jpeg to card 2.)

The difference in what my eyes see in the viewfinders, and the way AF indications are implemented, make a big difference for me in shooting moving objects. In favor of the Fuji. Still subjects, no issues with Pentax. Other people who aren't having any issues with the viewfinder seem to be doing fine shooting action with the K-3III.

A couple more observations.

My K-3III + DA*300 + HD DA 1.4TC combo has issues gaining focus lock, sometimes racking focus from one extreme to the other and back. Might be my inability to hold the AF point steady enough - at a FoV eq of 638mm it jumps around quite a bit handheld. I need to try it again on a monopod and a tripod. Might not be a handholdable combo for me.

DA*200 is becoming my favored tele on the K-3III. Haven't gotten many shots with it yet due to a decrease in bird activity at the tree and the birds mostly hanging out on the other side. IMHO the 300 is much more of a monopod lens, but useable handheld. Both have nice IQ, the 200 focuses slightly faster than the 300.

And with regards to the OVF and AF points - I need to find a spot where I can track and photo some aircraft. I need to see if the AF-C + tracking will reliably focus and track aircraft, and if I can keep aircraft centered in the OVF so the system can do its thing. The issue with the AF confirmation I mentioned above is a moot point in that mode of shooting. It will also allow me a good test of the buffer and how it will perform at airshows.

There's a K3 III firmware update which gives the camera a new JPEG option, "Satobi" which looks like it could be pretty cool. Ricoh says it's designed to emulate the faded reds and cyan-tinted blues of the skies in color photographs of the '60s and '70s, think Saul Leiter, Stephen Shore, etc. There's some info here: Give further expression with PENTAX "Custom Image" | RICOH IMAGING and a bit more about tweaking the profile here: 12月7日公開のPENTAX K-3 Mark III用ファームウェアについて(若代) | PENTAX official (the latter might need auto-translate). I like the look initially, what do you folks think?

There's a K3 III firmware update which gives the camera a new JPEG option, "Satobi" which looks like it could be pretty cool. Ricoh says it's designed to emulate the faded reds and cyan-tinted blues of the skies in color photographs of the '60s and '70s, think Saul Leiter, Stephen Shore, etc. There's some info here: Give further expression with PENTAX "Custom Image" | RICOH IMAGING and a bit more about tweaking the profile here: 12月7日公開のPENTAX K-3 Mark III用ファームウェアについて(若代) | PENTAX official (the latter might need auto-translate). I like the look initially, what do you folks think?
I like the look of Satobi. Muted colours have a place in my heart.

By the way, Satobi is now included in the latest K-1 Mark 1 firmware update.

Back