Pentax K3 Mark III Finally Official

Yeah, it's a chunk of change. But as long as I keep Pentax bodies, it will be cheaper than renting a few times a year.

Based on AF performance reports from a couple of photogs who have been using the camera, I have some thinking to do.

Here's one.

A chunk of change. But if Pentax is your system, there won't be a replacement for this camera for another five-plus years. So at least you won't be scrambling to stay current every other year. And I have no doubt that it will be a rugged, reliable tool. Perhaps there won't be many conquest sales but the K3 III seems to be everything current Pentaxians would want in an APS-C camera.

The KP can only be so small with the massive K-mount's required space. Since I'm coming from MFT the KP is by no means small (nor light), but I appreciate that they kept it ergonomically decent while decreasing the size everywhere they could manage it. In the flesh I am expecting that the K3III will "feel" considerably larger due to the size of the grip - though Ricoh made a big deal about how carefully they designed the new grip to be ergonomic bliss.

If I had a few thousand bucks floating around unclaimed, I would be seriously tempted. Dimension-wise, it's also nearly identical to my old Pentax K200d; not the lightest camera in the world, but significantly (25%) lighter than the Sony bridge camera (the RX10iii) I recently picked up. What really interests me is the redesigned pentaprism & OVF. Supposedly it is brighter and offers a larger and wider view than that of Pentax's FF K-1, and if that's true, well... it might be time to either go into debt or start robbing stagecoaches.

It’s the same size as the Fuji XH1 but 5 oz. (147 g) heavier. Lenses should be comparable since both are APS-C. Every DSLR I ever had was a Pentax, i.e., *ist D, *ist Ds, K10 D, and the K7, and I still have some MF K mount lenses. $2K is a lotta Au, however. Still, I would buy this instead of a Nikon Df, another camera I have been curious about. I truly hope this works for Pentax.

I could sell some stuff and start saving up the $2K, which I would probably then spend on newest Fuji X-T or Sony A7 whatever. Still, I bet the VF is glorious.

Last edited:
Comparing the shapes and controls of the K-1 and K-3III, I should have very little issues with muscle memory and handling. Pentax is doing a decent job with consistency in carrying hand grip shape and controls from one iteration to the next.

Fuji seems to be on a roll with changing controls and such with each iteration. All of the recent releases have made moves in directions that remove the camera from my consideration if I would need to replace an existing body.

I really need to get a K-3III in my hands to see how it fits, and see if the new OVF plays well with my eyes. Might be placing an order as soon as one of the big dealers opens the pre-orders.

If it does work well for me, depending upon how well my current lenses work with the new body I shouldn't need any new glass. Might be some glass I'd like, but my needs are covered.

Selling all my Fuji stuff except X100F should come very close to paying for the K-3III. And get me back to one main system I really enjoy handling and shooting, using shared lenses and accessories.

Back