Kai Wok and Lok Cheung (former DigitalRevTV) back together

I think he's doing this because he's scared of losing his freedom period. He sees something very bad coming I think.
I don't want to get into political discussion, but just addressing his second point of social credit, it's similar to what the IRS does. If you owe signifiant back taxes, the IRS can and will prevent you from leaving the country.

That's a terrific document. Lok keeps apologising for not being able to express himself adequately, but much of what he says is eloquent and powerful. And touching too.

I used to watch Kai and Lok quite a bit when they were with DigitalRevTV, and I look forward to seeing the double-act back in business again.

All the best Lok*

-R

*I had to edit that from "good luck Lok", which sounds silly when you say it out loud.

I don't want to get into political discussion, but just addressing his second point of social credit, it's similar to what the IRS does. If you owe signifiant back taxes, the IRS can and will prevent you from leaving the country.
Sorry but that's completely incomparable. Many countries stop you from leaving the country if you have big tax debts. In China, you can't get a mortgage, airplane ticket, business license, etc etc if you've been critical of the government, or bought the wrong books, or buy beer too often. Worse still, if you even so much as associate with people with a low social credit score, your own score decreases.

Is that right?
That was from memory, always good to do a double check. I did a quick search, and from what I can gather on this busy day, there are various social credit systems active on government level and on big corporation level, with the important note that many of the big corporations that use their own social credit systems, also feed the government's systems. All in all it's a more obtuse web than what a quick google or a five minute article can accurately depict, and it also changes by the month.

What I have been able to gather is that (1) the governmental social credit score systems can be used to deny children access to good schools if their parents have a low score, and (2) several large corporations do take your social circle into account when deciding your credit score.

In 2019 it was claimed by the HK governor that the social credit system wouldn't be rolled out in HK or Macau. Seeing Lok's video, it seems we are now at the point where unfavourable activities can get you blacklisted for airplane tickets.

That was from memory, always good to do a double check. I did a quick search, and from what I can gather on this busy day, there are various social credit systems active on government level and on big corporation level, with the important note that many of the big corporations that use their own social credit systems, also feed the government's systems. All in all it's a more obtuse web than what a quick google or a five minute article can accurately depict, and it also changes by the month.

What I have been able to gather is that (1) the governmental social credit score systems can be used to deny children access to good schools if their parents have a low score, and (2) several large corporations do take your social circle into account when deciding your credit score.

In 2019 it was claimed by the HK governor that the social credit system wouldn't be rolled out in HK or Macau. Seeing Lok's video, it seems we are now at the point where unfavourable activities can get you blacklisted for airplane tickets.
The social score system isn't the culprit here, but much of the other issues discussed above can get a lot more ugly.

Quite many high profile people including billionaires are rated low score from time to time due to mainly financial or sometimes ethnic reasons, restrictions are set upon them in hope of bringing shame and inconvenience, this is not the kind of reason that scared Lok off.

Sorry but that's completely incomparable. Many countries stop you from leaving the country if you have big tax debts. In China, you can't get a mortgage, airplane ticket, business license, etc etc if you've been critical of the government, or bought the wrong books, or buy beer too often. Worse still, if you even so much as associate with people with a low social credit score, your own score decreases.
Sounds like they're just trying to weed out corruption and criminal intent with a population that exceeds 1 billion people. I don't see how it's any different from having reduced insurance rates based on driving record or credit scores that gain you lower interest or access to loans. In order to access certain jobs in the west, they do extensive background checks and drug tests. For certain top level school districts they'll deny admission based on living in the wrong zip code even if you live a block away form the district boundaries (living on the wrong side of the tracks). Nowadays there's "cancel culture" that puts people on social media blast once they get recorded acting in a negative manner which can get people fired and/or reduce future employment opportunities.

I'm not saying their system is good or bad, but I don't want to judge how another society operates when parallels do exist.

Back