Micro 4/3 Kamlan 50mm f1.1 mk2, for some fun with the PenF…

Simonix

Veteran
Picked up a very cheap copy of this lens on the bay of E the other day. It is hefty lens (heavier than a 12-40 2.8 pro!), with a massive slab of glass in there (62mm filter thread).
It has some technical downsides, such as flare, glowing, purple fringing & it’s quite soft wide open (to be expected really, but sharpens up around 1.8).
That being said though, I am loving it! For casual shots and family portraits, it’s really nice I think. I really like the bokeh and that super shallow dof (in m43 terms anyway!). It feels intuitive to use too in my opinion and looks great with the mono settings on my Pen F.

Here are a few shots taken with it over the last 24hr. Note the purple fringing on the leaves in the colour photo, and the “glowing” on the clothes pegs…

0C558CB8-9CB1-4711-8E73-95B4A8085AE1.jpeg

00C935AE-6AA9-43CC-8B06-D904D6EA453F.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

7E5F9219-DA63-40CC-AA71-24AA2D7A3D39.jpeg

DDB4B072-2104-4F12-B0BD-FE942F9481F8.jpeg

015B1B57-A264-442A-A144-B197A0718486.jpeg

7055F7AC-DC27-4FDA-8117-D4B59DEE090C.jpeg

I am not a massive fan of Manual Focus lens on digital cameras, I find them really hard to focus.
However seeing these images, I might have a rethink.

Saying that, this lens has really interesting look to the images, I really like the way the gate looks, its just a city about the purple fringing but guess could be dealt with in post?

I am not a massive fan of Manual Focus lens on digital cameras, I find them really hard to focus.
However seeing these images, I might have a rethink.

Saying that, this lens has really interesting look to the images, I really like the way the gate looks, its just a city about the purple fringing but guess could be dealt with in post?

I have tried other manual focus lenses, and found the throw is too short, which can make things difficult. This lens has a longer throw, so small adjustments are easier.

Agree on the fringing, it is a shame. To be fair though, I purposefully took that photo almost straight into the sun, to try and highlight the issue. I can either remove in post, or recompose along with a cpl filter and the hood attached, which would have improved it a lot.

I have a number of older lenses and just love the idiosyncrasies they have, and the usually soft rendering, and sometimes unusual bokeh. When I was in the Wairarapa a few weeks ago I noticed one of the second hand stores had a collection of old Olympus stuff. I had to restrain myself because I hadn't been working much, and had no $$$, but going back this weekend .... who knows ,,,,

Very nice. It reminds me a bit of the CV 42.5mm f0.95 - but probably cheaper.

I am actually really pleased with it. Very heavy and chunky. Bokeh is lovely IMO, althoigh it is a little soft until about f1.6-1.8, but that's fine for portraits really. The mark 2 is much better optically, so is the one you need to look out for. They go for around £200 new, but I got mine for £90 secondhand!

There is even one on the "bay of E" right now for £70!........

I have a number of older lenses and just love the idiosyncrasies they have, and the usually soft rendering, and sometimes unusual bokeh. When I was in the Wairarapa a few weeks ago I noticed one of the second hand stores had a collection of old Olympus stuff. I had to restrain myself because I hadn't been working much, and had no $$$, but going back this weekend .... who knows ,,,,

Yeah, along with this, I have a few "vintage" lenses. Like you say, they are far from perfect with the modern trend for "Ultra-sharpness", etc.

That being said though, they are fun and rewarding when you get a nice shot. And that is so important for me! They make me want to go out with my camera to take photos, which is what it should be all about!

Back