Fuji Ken Rockwell on X-T2...

Kevin Mullins will heavily disagree with anyone claiming the Pro2 is not a professional camera or that it can't do professional work.

I'm not sure what is meant by ultra prints, but the Pro2/T2 will be just as capable in that area as the majority of DSLRs. Anything more than that and you're into medium format territory.

It appears like Mr. Rockwell must be doing something right, because everybody seems to read everything he writes, then discusses it with everybody else on every forum to make sure that everybody else is reading Mr. Rockwell's writings, too. :)

Sadly, I can't contribute anything to the current discussion, since I stopped visiting Mr. Rockwell's site in 2012 after three futile attempts to find valuable and reasonable information on new cameras. Luckily, there are many other information sources, including a few valuable ones.

My understanding and what was explained to me when studying is, a Professional Photographer who earns his monthly income doing photography on a daily basis and being paid for it, there are many who work in other areas and get paid for photographic commissions and despite the fact they earn money from that unless it is their primary income source and primary career then it is questionable.
Many will struggle with this but it often differentiates those who can from those who think they can - contentious I know.

It appears like Mr. Rockwell must be doing something right, because everybody seems to read everything he writes, then discusses it with everybody else on every forum to make sure that everybody else is reading Mr. Rockwell's writings, too. :)

Sadly, I can't contribute anything to the current discussion, since I stopped visiting Mr. Rockwell's site in 2012 after three futile attempts to find valuable and reasonable information on new cameras. Luckily, there are many other information sources, including a few valuable ones.

I believe it's called "click bait"

Only KR has got so good at it, he doesn't actually need the contentious headlines that normally accompany click bait (things like "why xxxx is the worst camera ever" "why you should only ever shoot jpeg" "why you should only every shoot raw" etctec)

For KR it's a given that's what you'll get, no headline needed :)

And (Devils advocate) there's a degree of tongue in cheek about his writing... It's a bit like Jeremy Clarkson... All very funny and what have you, but then one day he turns his sites onto something you like, and you get really offended!

As if shooting the weather station and pine tree that you have in your back garden, and cranking your saturation until your kids look orange, is any sort of review to be taken seriously.... :D

My understanding and what was explained to me when studying is, a Professional Photographer who earns his monthly income doing photography on a daily basis and being paid for it, there are many who work in other areas and get paid for photographic commissions and despite the fact they earn money from that unless it is their primary income source and primary career then it is questionable.
Many will struggle with this but it often differentiates those who can from those who think they can - contentious I know.

I'll make it even more contentious for you :)

And pro tog MIGHT very well be a lot better at getting sales then they are at taking pictures....

I'm not trying to troll, just a bit of a brain teaser among friends.

We all see and hear the expression a lot, "pro"

On the subject of what is "PRO", what does that actually entail? Using photography to make a living? being good at it? having people like or pay of our work? business acumen re: photography?, strong artistic expression?

Subject 1: I very much doubt a lot of people in the world will know about Caitlyn Maloney, she's never published a book, only takes photos of pets, and relies on photography to make a living. She's the owner and photographer of a pet photography business (I really like her work). Would you consider her as a "Pro"?

Subject 2: Henri Cartier Bresson, renowned all over the world, popularised if not invented street photography as a style, master of his art, mimicked by millions of people, one of the founders of Magnum. "Pro?"

Subject 3: Kim Kardashian, has a published a top selling photography book, Considered a master of a photo style that is mimicked by millions of people, she has a massive photo following in Instagram from which she makes millions from. "Pro?"

A pro,as in professional means just that. If someone is professional, thats how they make a living presumably having a photography business. It is definitely not how "good" they are. Good is purely subjective. Of the examples mentioned above, subject 1 and presumably 2 are pros. I doubt Kardashian makes her living as a photographer, she may be a pro at publishing books or whatever, but publishing a book does not make her a pro photographer. Makes her an pro author though.

A pro,as in professional means just that...

Yes, on that we agree, as I said earlier. The issue is whether labelling a piece of kit as "Pro" actually has any real meaning beyond marketing hype and reflected glory. I speculated about this on Macfilos.com a while back. When Fuji named the X-Pro1 I strongly suspect that they had no idea of the potential for growth in the system. Today with the X-Pro2 and X-T2 they use the term "joint flagships" to get out of a linguistic hole of their own making. And it gets worse... If the Pro and T series are flagships, what will the X100F be...?
"A rose by any other name would smell so sweet."

My 2 cents, for what its worth. A pro bodie is a camera which has the tools anyone making money from shooting needs. A tough build, weather sealing, dual memory card slots, etc. A camera that is durable, reliable, and has on board file backup.

Yes, on that we agree, as I said earlier. The issue is whether labelling a piece of kit as "Pro" actually has any real meaning beyond marketing hype and reflected glory. I speculated about this on Macfilos.com a while back. When Fuji named the X-Pro1 I strongly suspect that they had no idea of the potential for growth in the system. Today with the X-Pro2 and X-T2 they use the term "joint flagships" to get out of a linguistic hole of their own making. And it gets worse... If the Pro and T series are flagships, what will the X100F be...?
"A rose by any other name would smell so sweet."

I used to quip (still do in fact) that the 'Pro' of the X-Pro series was short for prosumer :D

My 2 cents, for what its worth. A pro bodie is a camera which has the tools anyone making money from shooting needs. A tough build, weather sealing, dual memory card slots, etc. A camera that is durable, reliable, and has on board file backup.

Agree, and also to add

A pro camera is one with PRO support.

So if a Pro has a problem, s/he can contact the OEM support line and get a replacement/repair/loan unit in time to make the gig

I love where that discussion went. And I agree completely. Durability, speed, and support.

I may be a bit slow, but I never thought of the pro in X-Pro2 as a reference to professional. If it is indeed such a reference, then it is the first camera I have had that has any meaning baked into the model name. GX8, EM-1, GF1, LX3 and not talk about the Canon 400D - was that one not called a rebel in US? Other than that I agree with the quoted post, Durability and Support (like canon pro-support and olympus pro support)

The one thing that gives me a chuckle when discussions about "pro" gear and what "professionals" need, is that people have shot weddings, sports, etc. with all manual gear for years. There are people now, who shoot weddings with manual lenses on digital cameras. Earlier I described criteria which, to me, makes gear "professional". One of the things that makes a person "professional" is the ability to use the tools he/she has to make meaningful to the client photographs.

That's one thing I can't wrap my brain around; when people ask me if I am "Professional Photographer". When I ask what do they mean by that? They roll their eyes and say; "Do you make a living taking pictures." "Yes, I do." I answered. "Then you're a Pro, silly!". Ok, I then ask person "What do you know for work?". Replies for example: "I am an attorney." "OH! So you're a Professional Lawyer then." "No." said person. "I'm a lawyer. No one calls me that. Why would they?". My point exactly, so why are you calling me a professional photographer?

Back