Kingsbridge Bus Rally 2017

grebeman

Old Codgers Group
The 10th rally for old buses held in and around Kingsbridge in South Devon.

8700485.jpg

The 1945 Bristol K6A makes its way towards Slapton village alongside Slapton Ley (freshwater lake)

8700490.jpg

The K6A returns alongside the sea en route for Kingsbridge

8700494.jpg

A closer shot of the K6A, formerly a local bus

8700503.jpg

This local single decker Bristol H5G heading towards Southpool dates from 1933

1140629.jpg

Returning from Southpool the H5G joins the main road at Frogmore

1140665.jpg

Not all the buses had been local to the area during their working lives, this London Transport Leyland dates from 1951 and the only thing local on the headboard is the route number 93 which the Dartmouth to Plymouth service carried for 80 years.

All images taken with GX7 an

That's a great set of images.

I've had a good look at the first picture because we had a couple of very happy family holidays in the 1970s in a cottage in Torcross. It was behind the Torcross Chapel and near a red phone box (where my sister received her O-level results) and I can see from Google Maps that it's all still there. In the picture the cottage is obscured by the bus unfortunately - it's roughly below the "93" number on the bus.

Whenever I think of Torcross I think of flying a kite on Slapton Sands with the American flags of the WWII memorial fluttering nearby. Some years after our holidays they pulled a Sherman tank out of the sea to act as a memorial to the servicemen who died nearby during Exercise Tiger - a training exercise prior to the D-Day landings. Back in the 70s the full story of that disaster had yet to be told, but the locals knew ...

-R

That's a great set of images.

I've had a good look at the first picture because we had a couple of very happy family holidays in the 1970s in a cottage in Torcross. It was behind the Torcross Chapel and near a red phone box (where my sister received her O-level results) and I can see from Google Maps that it's all still there. In the picture the cottage is obscured by the bus unfortunately - it's roughly below the "93" number on the bus.

Whenever I think of Torcross I think of flying a kite on Slapton Sands with the American flags of the WWII memorial fluttering nearby. Some years after our holidays they pulled a Sherman tank out of the sea to act as a memorial to the servicemen who died nearby during Exercise Tiger - a training exercise prior to the D-Day landings. Back in the 70s the full story of that disaster had yet to be told, but the locals knew ...

-R
P1000557.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hi Richard, thanks for your interest and memories. Here's the tank you refer to, still the site of a memorial service every year on the anniversary of "Operation Tiger". I used to make day trips to the beach from Plymouth in the 1950's with my parents and yes, it was known then that something had occurred here that had been kept quiet. A local hotelier named Ken Small was instrumental in bringing it out in the open in the 1980's and he masterminded the recovery of the tank, the tracks of which turned as they pulled it up the beach after spending 40 years submerged about half a mile off shore. I still think your holiday cottage is hidden from view, sorry.

Barrie

Ohh such beautiful machines! And a beautiful route for the rally! Beautiful skies, too... just a wonderful set of photos.

And indeed, good to still have you around here, Barrie!

Back