Sony Kirk Tuck Dumps Micro Four Thirds for NEX-7

I'm the only person on the planet so far as I can tell who picked up an X100 and decided it wasn't very nice

That is a tough position to be in. Look on the bright side; there are lots of other planets. Odds are, there is someone out there for you...;):D

After handling one, I decided the main selling point was that it felt like a small, slippery bar of soap and that using one was not intuitive and now matter how cool they are, if you look like you're going to drop it and can't figure out to operate it, it will make you look decidedly UNcool.

exactly.
add a lens of any size and it gets worse, IMHO
the NEX' IQ is great but my E-PL2 feels much better to me
Even with the 14-150mm

I have/had the same issue with both the Olympus E-PM1 and the Panasonic GF1. Both feel well built but their nice metal skins are also slippery and neither camera offers anything much to grip onto. If not for my patented finger loop hold I would struggle to grip either camera properly.

I liked the Nex a lot when I had one. It was my first modern camera with the flip up rear screen and I fell in love with it. I got around the controls without any real problem, and found it more than comfortable enough to hold and shoot with, whether up at eye level or down at my waist. And I loved the IQ and this was a Nex 5, not a 5n or 7 or one with one of the newer sensors. I ultimately dumped it for m43 due to the lack of lenses and the apparent lack of future lenses. This was a year and a half ago and I still don't see much progress on the lens front, so I'm very happy with my decision. But I never had a bit of trouble or dis-satisfaction with the camera itself, or the lenses I did have for it. Just never turned into the type of system I'd have been happy with. But great cameras, I thought.

-Ray

I'm migrating to an M4/3 system because I'm tired of carrying around a heavy load of equipment. The NEX bodies are small, but the lenses do not appear to offer much relief. I would be about as well off to get a Canon Rebel T-series body and continue to use my Canon lenses.

I have/had the same issue with both the Olympus E-PM1 and the Panasonic GF1. Both feel well built but their nice metal skins are also slippery and neither camera offers anything much to grip onto. If not for my patented finger loop hold I would struggle to grip either camera properly.

Someone on this board or mu-43 suggested those tiny little clear rubber furniture pad feet. The kind you put on the bottom of someone to protect the top of a nice table. They're maybe 10mm round. I put two on the front of my EPM1, and the grip is suddenly quite do-able. I even hold a 100-300 easily with these little feet. The rubbery texture makes gripping a breeze.

Thanks, and now you mention it I do recall seeing an E-PM1 for sale on eBay a few months ago where they appear to have done the same thing. In a way, it's good that Olympus made no pretense whatsoever at providing a grip because a flat face gives you lots of different options for adding one.

Even the Xpro1 is beginning to feel too big for me. I find myself grabbing the RX100 or the NEX7 or the Samsung more often. So we all have our preferences. When the perfect camera arrives that will be the end of all photography websites, but one. Meanwhile i guess we will all have to just make due with what we have or can get. By the way, does anyone know where I can get a perfect cup of coffee?

Even the Xpro1 is beginning to feel too big for me. I find myself grabbing the RX100 or the NEX7 or the Samsung more often. So we all have our preferences. When the perfect camera arrives that will be the end of all photography websites, but one. Meanwhile i guess we will all have to just make due with what we have or can get. By the way, does anyone know where I can get a perfect cup of coffee?

I don't find size much of any issue with any of these more compact cameras. I'm more concerned with the overall weight and bulk of the kit I carry with me. So, for example, I don't find the X-Pro 1 any 'bigger' in use than my GF1, even though it is larger. If the weight and bulk are in a certain range, then it's down to interface and the 'feel' of the camera. Which is a very individual thing and can be hard to define.

Right across from my office you can get great coffee here (the Spadina branch):
Dark Horse Espresso Bar

Come on over...

Back