Fuji Kissin' Cousins

Amazing duo! I have a copy of the konica... The lens is really amazing!
I want to know...how does the viewfinder of the x10 compare to the VF of the konica?
Which is bigger?how much is it bigger?

Amazing duo! I have a copy of the konica... The lens is really amazing!
I want to know...how does the viewfinder of the x10 compare to the VF of the konica?
Which is bigger?how much is it bigger?

It's a bit bigger and brighter.

No - not just you :). The zoom on the X10/20 (flexible though it may be) is one of the things I'm not sure about.

How so? It's sharp, no slower than f2.8 at full zoom and a very useful set of FLs. What gives you pause about it?

No - not just you :). The zoom on the X10/20 (flexible though it may be) is one of the things I'm not sure about.

Here's what I think: the market for fixed lens is really made up of - at the very least - photo enthusiasts. I wouldn't think there would be a lot in that market looking for a fixed lens on a small(-ish) sensor? What's the point, really? Lots of people are already raising hell over the m43 sensor size, no matter how miniscule the difference in actual performance vs APS-C. So if I had a company I wouldn't even think of creating this product. The X100 makes sense - fixed lens with a generally-accepted (as far as the photo enthusiast market is concerned) sensor size.

I hope that made sense.

Great pair of shooters! I really like how the thumbrest on the X10 perfectly complements the film advance on the Konica. Never made that connection between film and digital compacts until I saw them side by side in your photo. Nice one!

Here's what I think: the market for fixed lens is really made up of - at the very least - photo enthusiasts. I wouldn't think there would be a lot in that market looking for a fixed lens on a small(-ish) sensor? What's the point, really? Lots of people are already raising hell over the m43 sensor size, no matter how miniscule the difference in actual performance vs APS-C. So if I had a company I wouldn't even think of creating this product. The X100 makes sense - fixed lens with a generally-accepted (as far as the photo enthusiast market is concerned) sensor size.

I hope that made sense.

Oh I completely agree that it would make ZERO financial sense for Fuji to make such a camera. I just know that for my work, I'm constantly shooting at the widest aperture possible, and having to take into account a variable aperture is a pet peeve of mine... especially when strobes are being used. I'm not a fan of zooms to begin with, as I dislike the "laziness" it causes in my shooting habits. I prefer primes because I'm a much more active, purposeful, and intentional with my framing. I fully acknowledge that this is my own psychosis and not any fault of zooms per se. I also know that the two focal lengths I tend live, breath, and see with are 35mm and 105mm, both at very wide apertures... obviously a 35mm equivalent would make more sense on a compact.

I originally bought the X10 as a "day off" camera, but find myself using it increasingly for work when it's limitations do not compromise any creative goals or output requirements. If Fuji were to make a X20s with a fixed 35mm f1.2 optic, that had an instant manual focus override (I shoot backlit A LOT) instead of a zoom, and kept the same dimensions as the regular X20 I would gladly pay $1000 for it. But then again, I'd love it if the tree outside my apartment grew money and cupcakes. ;)

If Fuji were to make a X20s with a fixed 35mm f1.2 optic, that had an instant manual focus override (I shoot backlit A LOT) instead of a zoom, and kept the same dimensions as the regular X20 I would gladly pay $1000 for it. But then again, I'd love it if the tree outside my apartment grew money and cupcakes. ;)

I expect a lot of folks would but it at $1000 because it would sell for about $3000 normally. :p

dixeyk - I have no doubt that the zoom on X10 (X20) is very good, and it does offer flexibility that is very useful in a carry-everywhere compact. It wouldn't stop me from buying one. I just like the `purity' of a single focal length. (On the rare occasions that I put the kit zoom on my K5, I usually leave it fixed at about 24mm)... In any case, when I win the X20 :D, I'm sure I'll be very happy with everything about it including the zoom.

Hyubie - I completely understand that the business side of things probably precludes making a fixed-focal-length compact with a smallish sensor, but I can still dream... For example, I have a recurring fantasy of a pen-style compact with a fixed, fast 35-40 mm equiv lens, the OM-D sensor updated with on-sensor phase detection, tilting touch screen and an evf (with focus peaking). I dream big.

dixeyk - I have no doubt that the zoom on X10 (X20) is very good, and it does offer flexibility that is very useful in a carry-everywhere compact. It wouldn't stop me from buying one. I just like the `purity' of a single focal length. (On the rare occasions that I put the kit zoom on my K5, I usually leave it fixed at about 24mm)... In any case, when I win the X20 :D, I'm sure I'll be very happy with everything about it including the zoom.

I understand the appeal of a single prime lens quite well...that Konica is mine after all (I also have a Konica S1.6, S2, C35 and a Minolta 9 as well). I have been a fan of fast fixed lens cameras for a long time and in many ways I have been looking or that same kind of experience in digital since I started using this gear. That said, the zoom on the X10 is very VERY good. FWIW I think the X100s is a very appealing camera in that respect and if not for the $1200 price tag I would be figuring out how to get one. Then again my NEX with a Pen-F 38/1.8 reminds me a lot of my Konica S3 and almost as small.

The lens on the X10/20 is fabulous: Wide-open, zoommed wide or long, no problem.

I love the old fixed-lens rangefinders. It was EXACTLY that sort of feature set (viewfinder, hot shoe, filter threads, metal body) that led me to the X's. My G3/17 Canonet and Auto S' are my favorites. Here's a couple old-timers with The Kid, some quick XS-1/EF42 snaps after I saw the S3 photo:

View attachment 583View attachment 584

Attachments

• DSCF1879.jpg
    DSCF1879.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCF1882.jpg
    DSCF1882.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 120
The lens on the X10/20 is fabulous: Wide-open, zoommed wide or long, no problem.

I love the old fixed-lens rangefinders. It was EXACTLY that sort of feature set (viewfinder, hot shoe, filter threads, metal body) that led me to the X's. My G3/17 Canonet and Auto S' are my favorites. Here's a couple old-timers with The Kid, some quick XS-1/EF42 snaps after I saw the S3 photo:

View attachment 583View attachment 584

Sweet

dixeyk - I have no doubt that the zoom on X10 (X20) is very good, and it does offer flexibility that is very useful in a carry-everywhere compact. It wouldn't stop me from buying one. I just like the `purity' of a single focal length. (On the rare occasions that I put the kit zoom on my K5, I usually leave it fixed at about 24mm)...

See... I can understand this, but I also can't.

I understand very well the need to frame, to get just the 'right' shot, and so forth. But as I said in another thread... for a lot of the stuff I shoot, it's quite literally *impossible* to get the shot I want with a 'normal' length prime. The time I tried to shoot the Natchez Trace bridge with a Digital Rebel XT and the Canon 50mm? I literally could not back up far enough to get the framing I wanted, I ran out of room. Same thing when I tried to shoot the Lane Motor Museum - the cars were packed so closely together that I couldn't get the angle I wanted without banging into another car. One focal length just isn't enough.

See... I can understand this, but I also can't.

I understand very well the need to frame, to get just the 'right' shot, and so forth. But as I said in another thread... for a lot of the stuff I shoot, it's quite literally *impossible* to get the shot I want with a 'normal' length prime. The time I tried to shoot the Natchez Trace bridge with a Digital Rebel XT and the Canon 50mm? I literally could not back up far enough to get the framing I wanted, I ran out of room. Same thing when I tried to shoot the Lane Motor Museum - the cars were packed so closely together that I couldn't get the angle I wanted without banging into another car. One focal length just isn't enough.

I agree, having had the same experience myself! This is why I'm torn on this. What I imagine is that when I'm out with the intent to shoot I would have my K5 with one or two primes (e.g., 65mm equiv and 115mm equiv), and (in my fantasy) something like the x100(s) for the 35mm equiv view...

With that said, I have to say that the X20 is looking more and more appealing, especially since its zoom is apparently of very high quality throughout the zoom range.

Back