Fuji Kit lens?

tol1l1yboy

Regular
Is it worth getting the kit lens with the xe-1 or would I be better off skipping the lens and just getting the body and grabbing either the 18mm or the 35mm instead?

Depends on what you want. I liked the kit lens so much, I shot my entire Bangkok trip with it, even though it was still pre-production with several bugs.

As already said one post up, it is more a question of preference/ shooting style rather than a question of quality: I personally prefer limiting myself to one focal length for a certain time, and to use fast, light and small lenses. In that sense the 18 makes sense, optically the zoom (I have both) seems to be a bit better.

For fast changing shooting situations (like while traveling) a zoom may be the more convenient choice, however I'd prefer a constant 2,8 zoom, I do not particulary like lenses slower than 2,8.

But that's just me, and really there are few reasons not to find the Kit lens a really good lens.

Cheers
Bernie

Getting the 18-55 with camera saves you a few hundred, if I'm not mistaken. Unless you're a hard-core prime-ophile (heh!), I'd strongly suggest the kit lens. It's sharp, it rocks, and it's a great size for how fast (aperture-wise) it is. Pretty fast focus too (in my experience, anyway).

Depends on your needs.

For myself I would get both and have the kit as a general purpose/travel and the 35 f/1.4 for when I know I'm going to be in low-light or those days I just feel like I need a prime.

it's an excellent lens...if you like zooms.
zooms are not my favourite but i tried this one out and while very sharp i could not adjust to shooting with a zoom, so i sold it.

From what I've read and seen, the kit lens in this case is a real gem. Normally I'm not one for kit zooms, preferring to forego the bundled lens and buy body only and couple the camera with a fast prime, but in this case, especially considering the price break over the list price if purchased seperately, I'd definitely go with the kit lens. Even if you end up not caring for it, I would venture to guess you could easily recoup your cost by selling it.

I think that is what the lens end up costing when you get it in the kit.

Ok, that calmed me down. :D That's because thinking of going for an X-E1, and I'd love to have both the kit lens and the 35. Some promos going on with body + 35, but the kit lens is very expensive by itself. So maybe I'd get the kit and buy the 35 separately. Of course all of that is a big IF. :)

Ok, that calmed me down. :D That's because thinking of going for an X-E1, and I'd love to have both the kit lens and the 35. Some promos going on with body + 35, but the kit lens is very expensive by itself. So maybe I'd get the kit and buy the 35 separately. Of course all of that is a big IF. :)

Yes, that bundle at Adorama or B&H with the XE-1 body and the 35mm f1.4 is pretty tempting since you're saving $300 off the price of the 35mm. If you want both lenses however, it looks like you can get a deal at B&H where you buy the body only for $999 and then add a bundle with the 35mm and the 18-55mm for an additional $798. If Adorama has that same offer, I missed it.

Yes, that bundle at Adorama or B&H with the XE-1 body and the 35mm f1.4 is pretty tempting since you're saving $300 off the price of the 35mm. If you want both lenses however, it looks like you can get a deal at B&H where you buy the body only for $999 and then add a bundle with the 35mm and the 18-55mm for an additional $798. If Adorama has that same offer, I missed it.

Very tempting for anyone who is seriously thinking... I must step away from my computer...step away...step away....:daz:

Back