Fuji Kit zoom vs 35mm AF question

teefin1

Regular
Hi, I recently bought an XE1 with the zoom and find the AF so 'deliberate' that I immediately decided to return it. But, the low light performance is very impressive and given that I shoot mostly children, indoors, I presume the 35mm will perform better. Can anyone advise as to the AF of this lens in comparison to the zoom, which is reputed to be one of the best in the fuji lineup in this regard.

Regards
Tracy

Hi Tracy, in my brief experience with both lenses, the zoom is actually more decisive and quick to AF than the 35mm prime is. That said, I shoot mostly children indoors too and personally find the 35mm lens to be exceptionally well suited to that. I think you'll get used to the AF. Also, out of the box your X-E1 probably wasn't running the latest firmware, which seemed to help with the AF.

Hi Tracy, in my brief experience with both lenses, the zoom is actually more decisive and quick to AF than the 35mm prime is. That said, I shoot mostly children indoors too and personally find the 35mm lens to be exceptionally well suited to that. I think you'll get used to the AF. Also, out of the box your X-E1 probably wasn't running the latest firmware, which seemed to help with the AF.

Thanks Amin, I did update the firmware, which certainly made a difference, the AF is still rather sedentary, but accurate. And I realise having played with an OMD for a day that fast AF doesn't necessarily mean more keepers. I've heard that the zoom is the best for AF but I hope the difference is negligible. I'm getting the 35mm tomorrow and it will make my mind up for me, hopefully in the affirmative!

Tracy

Back