Leica Showcase KMZ 50mm f/3.5 Industar-22 in LTM

Mr_Flibble

All-Pro
Name
Rick
I hadn't used this coated 1952-dated lens in quite a while, mainly because the curtains on the Zorki Ic it was attached to were starting to come apart. I could shake the camera and flakes of rubber would fall out, no matter how much LET is smeared on the curtains.

10989159_794749320573427_3627884688291077290_n.jpg

So last year I decided to hand it over to a friend who likes rebuilding soviet Leica and Contax copies (He has also repaired my real Contax II cameras). I didn't hear anything for a while until December when he found some time to work on his backlog of repairs. I got the camera back in January this year and it feels great. Okay the RF is a little dim, but nothing too bad. Without slow speeds I wouldn't need good contrast in the RF patch anyway.

The Industar-22, I'm told, is a tried-and-tested 4 element triplet with the aperture opening behind the second group. And shooting with a properly coated lens was something I had not done in a long time.

I loaded the camera with some Rollei RPX 100 and took it with me wherever I went.

1. Zandberg road
ZT150304.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Nr 10
ZT150305.jpg

3. Out on the Roestelberg
ZT150306.jpg

4. Firewood at Fort Altena
ZT150311.jpg

5. Calibrating his Nicca 3-f
ZT150314.jpg

6. Land of Altena
ZT150316.jpg

7. The crapper
ZT150319.jpg

Film was developed in Ro9, 1+50 for 18.5 minutes
Negatives were scanned at 4800dpi with generic film settings in Vuescan.
Scans were resized and the levels and curves slightly adjusted.
Still a little too gray in my opinion.

Looks like this Zorki and Industar will do okay for another 50 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
These look great. The Industar is a Tessar copy, and compares favorably with the Coated Elmar.

Industar-50, in collapsible mount, "even better". The collapsible Industars are Brass.

The chrome on my two I-22 lenses is still pretty spotless.

I recall reading a pre-war Soviet review of the Elmar and the Industar (I-10) that said they were very close in image quality and that the industar was, possibly, a little sharper (Of course they would say that, wouldn't they).

I had a coated I-10, was not as good as my post-war coated Elmar. The I-22 was as good. I suspect the I-50 is close to the last-version F3.5 Elmar.

Back