Film Konica anyone?

tonyturley

Legend
Name
Tony
As I mentioned in another post, I've been thinking about dabbling in film again. I have a Praktica and Minolta already, but have been looking at Konica due to the reputation of the 40/1.8. I ended up buying an Autoreflex T + 57mm 1.4 and a separate 40mm 1.8. Cost was <$100 USD for all 3, so the risk was low. Photos and descriptions indicated a camera and lenses with very little wear. At the very worst, I have a camera to add to my display collection and a couple of lenses to adapt to my OM-D and NEX. However, the camera looked pretty darn good in the photos, and the description claimed a working camera, so it was a risk I was willing to take. I did a lot of reading before I committed, and it appears the Autoreflex T was the first and simplest of Konica's TTL cameras. Any thoughts on this combo?

Tony

My Autoreflex T lost its meter to corrosion from a leaky battery, but the Hexanon glass is as sharp as ever. The 57mm/1.4 is one of my favorite lenses on my digital PEN.

The Konica 50/1.7 Hexanon is the one to get, very inexpensive- and very sharp. I've also owned the 57/1.4, and have the 40/1.8 and 50/1.8. The 50/1.7 is better.

I have 6 Konica Ts and T3s wonderful cameras. I picked up another T3n and an A last week in beautiful working condition with some lenses and bag. Even if you get one with non working meter they can still take photos with a hand held meter. The lenses are excellent they never made a bad lens. I also have a T4 which is smaller and takes wonderful photos. Enjoy your camera.
16903855371_c2e9994e83.jpg
Konica T3n with 35mm 2.8 lens
by dbuckle2695, on Flickr

16893370712_134ac6087c.jpg
Pair of Konicas

9548447613_3bf737b164.jpg
Konica T4 with Winder

6103091274_dddb5077da.jpg
Four Sisters

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks David, that's a nice looking lineup of cameras. I considered a T4 that was bundled with a 40/1.8 and had the auto-winder, but I decided I'd rather go with the simpler, all-metal camera.

Still haven't used my Konica. It was indeed in very good shape, but the meter doesn't seem to work. I'm thinking of just using "Sunny f/16" and working from there. Anybody else do that? I'm rather rusty on the film front.

TT

Yes I have two T3n cameras with the meters not working. I have used the Sunny 16 method and it worked out Okay. There is a Sunny 16 App you can get for your phone that makes calculating your setting easy. I also picked up a simple hand held light meter.

Some of my Konicas
9253341831_36d4db78fa_c.jpg
Four Konica Cameras

Last edited by a moderator:
Konica glass has a good reputation. I'm getting a piece of the action by way of a Konica Auto S2 (Hexanon 45mm f/1.8).

Yes I have two T3n cameras with the meters not working. I have used the Sunny 16 method and it worked out Okay. There is an a Sunny 16 App you can get for your phone that makes calculating your setting easy. I also picked up a simple hand held light meter.
Thanks David. I installed an exposure calculator on my S5 this morning. Nice camera line-up, by the way.
Konica glass has a good reputation. I'm getting a piece of the action by way of a Konica Auto S2 (Hexanon 45mm f/1.8).
I use my Konica 57 & 40 on my E-M5 and NEX-6 frequently. Great glass.

TT

Checking in as an Auto S2 guy as well. I was getting some strange readings from my meter the other day but I threw in a fresh battery and it seems to have helped.
Konica%20S2-3290001.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It has been quite a while since I logged onto any forum . . . I just needed to step back and chill for a while. I decided to dip my toes back in with some low key film stuff. My latest camera, a Konica Eye 2, arrived today. Beautiful little piece of equipment, it is. Near mint condition, with nary a scratch or piece of lint on it. No battery, though, so I need to figure out what to use in it. I intend to load it with some Agfa Vista 200 that also arrived today.

Tony

Eye2.jpg

Unfortunately, the little Eye 2 in post #13 seems to be destined as an attractive paperweight. The meter doesn't seem to work. I guess it is possible that I got a batch of bad batteries, but I tried 5 different Excel 675 replacements yesterday. I even used some folded tin foil to shim the cells in place to ensure a good fit. No response from the meter. Any ideas out there?

TT

There is a slim chance the battery is not making good contact. Try cleaning the the compartment. I have used vinegar on swab to do this on some old cameras and revived some of them.

Back