Film Konica anyone?

I was beginning to think my Eye 2 was DOA, as the vinegar cleaning didn't work. I decided to remove the bottom cover and check things out. I used a tapered sanding stick to scrub the contacts, and cleaned out the compartment again. I also adjusted the spring tension on the positive contact. After reassembly, I popped in a Varta V76PX silver oxide cell, and the meter sprang to life. I walked around testing the camera on different areas of light and shade, and the meter responded appropriately. I also worked the film speed ring, checking the meter's response to various ASA ratings. Again, it responded as I would expect.

While my preference is for cameras with manual settings, I bought the Eye 2 because it was unique and in fantastic shape. It does have an aperture ring that allows a pseudo-shutter priority; that is, one can use a light meter or Sunny 16 to determine the required exposure, then set an aperture value based on a fixed SS of 1/30. I'll play with that some to see how that works out. I'm currently running Agfa Vista 200 Plus through both my Pen F and D3, but I'll soon load some of the same film in the Eye 2 to see how it goes.

TT

Last edited by a moderator:
My Hexar AF . . . looking at the lens a little more this weekend I notice a bit of a smudge on the lens. Hoping its not fungus.

P9201772.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

instead of tin foil Tony, use hard thin wire (from AC Moore or such used to support long stem flowers) that is looped around itself. First in a circle then across the circle.

The other thing to do is to test the meter with a correct sized battery but of higher voltage. You can even use this as your battery but decrease the ASA rating by using another camera's meter. Usually it overexposes by a stop to stop and a half.

For the past couple of months, I've been running a roll of Agfa Vista 200 Plus through the Eye 2. I messed up about a dozen of the frames by forgetting to reset the scale focusing ring, or setting it without looking at it and thinking I was on infinity when it was set for 1m. Yikes. I still got a lot of good photos. The meter is decently accurate, although some of the frames were overexposed somewhat. Not bad at all for a 50 year old half frame camera.

TT

41050019.jpg

41050036.jpg

41050039.jpg

41050042.jpg

A recent project camera. The leatherette and light seals were in poor shape when I bought it. The lens I already had. I'm not entirely certain the shutter speeds are accurate; they sound slow to me, but then it might just be the sounds of this particular camera. I guess I'll know after I run some film through it.

TT

T4.JPG

Konica Hexar? Japanese Leica M6 and lenses fully interchangeable, great rangefinder viewfinder, brilliant street camera
. . . and extremely expensive in today's world. I've spent a lot of time investigating the compact high quality film cameras: Hexar RF/AF, Contax T/2/3, Fuji Natura/Klasse, Minolta Minoltina/TC-1, Nikon 28/35TI, Rollei AFM 35, etc. Even the plastic Yashica T4 goes for big $$$. I'd love to have a small, well built manual film camera with a 35mm FL lens, but I'm not willing to pay eBay prices for a camera that could quit working at any time. I guess the closest I am going to come is my Olympus 35RC with its 42mm lens.

I don't want to put down any of the above-mentioned powerhouse compacts, but the real sleepers are the cheaper cameras - the Olympus 35RC is a great example. I've all but stopped hunting for any of those since I have my two super-compact cameras (Olympus XA and, above all, Minox GT-E), but whenever one of those old RF fixed-lens cameras crops up on one of my favourite auction sites, I feel tempted. I might fall for a Canon Canonet QL17 GIII at some point - but that doesn't mean a Konica, Yashica, Ricoh or Olympus wouldn't do just as fine a job. And the Leica CL with 40mm Summicron-C isn't much bigger ...

Having said that, the compact film camera I'm enjoying the most at the moment is - the Leica AF-C1 (yes, the Minolta clone ... it's actually a great camera to shoot with ...). It's quite well thought-out, did cost less than $50 (about $30, actually), and the dual lens setup is surprisingly helpful in-use. ... Would I like to have one of those later AF premium models? Most probably. But I think I wouldn't enjoy it a lot more. We'll see if the lens of the AF-C1 lives up to its solid reputation ...

M.

I had a mint T4 factory kit with body + 3 lenses and flash, bag, straps, everything. I bought it for $100 at a camera swap meet. When the local Konica rep saw it he arranged for me to sell it to Konica for inclusion in their museum. Made 4X on that deal.

I used to work in a camera store which is why I knew the Konica rep.

Back