Leica Konishiroku Hexanon 50mm F1.9 Leica LTM.

Bar8barian

Rookie
I have recently acquired a Hexanon 50mm f1.9 Leica thread mount lens which I believe is a "Planar" type lens of the mid to late 1950's.My copy has a Leotax lens cap so I assume that it was originally fitted to Leotax cameras.
I have also read that it was available on the rare Honor camera.
I would be very interested, should any members of this forum own this lens, to know what they think about the lens and have any sample photo's taken using the lens.
I believe it is a 6 element ( 1-1-1-2-1 configuration) similar to the Chiyoda Kogaku 5cm f1.8 Super-Rokkor lens.
Many thanks.
Bar8barian

Last edited by a moderator:
I never had this lens but I once had a super-rare 60mm 1.2 Konica Hexanon LTM lens from the same era. It was a beautiful lens. I regret selling not only because I miss it but because it has quadrupled in value (or more) since I sold it.

I've never owned or used one- look forward to seeing some pictures with it.

Neblette 1965 has the Hexanon 45/2, Minolta 45/2, and 50/1.8 all listed as 1-1-1-2-1 configurations, a "PF" as on my 45/1.7 of the Hi-Matic 9 that I've owned since 1969. A double Gauss with two single elements used in place of the forward doublet.

Just to add- the Konica 50/1.7 in AR SLR mount is exceptional in performance. It is also a 1-1-1-2-1 configuration, as the 50/1.9. I converted mine to RF coupled M-Mount. It equals the contemporary Summicron of the 1970s.

t02200220_0800080012915218736.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Just read this comment on RFF regarding Konica lenses:-
" Konica lenses were used by the Japanese Ministry of Industry as the reference benchmark by which the quality of all other manufacturers' lenses were judged. Some companies have an obsession with quality and Konica was one of them."

I never had this lens but I once had a super-rare 60mm 1.2 Konica Hexanon LTM lens from the same era. It was a beautiful lens. I regret selling not only because I miss it but because it has quadrupled in value (or more) since I sold it.

The price of the 60mm f1.2 Konica Hexanon LTM lens on this website of a European Netherlands Photographic dealer is asking
EURO 32,500. Which is $36,370 USD / £28,610 GBP :eek-9: :shakehead:

I think that price is somewhat optimistic. But who knows what someone will pay?

I got a lot less when I sold my lens but it was still a substantial sum. I was a dope for selling it. I've sold lots of things, then wondered years later "What was I thinking"?

Another thing I once sold, and this was probably over 30 years ago, was an 18K Gold Rolex Sea Dweller. I think maybe less than a hundred were made, maybe less.

I sold it for $8,000 back in the 1980's. I think today you could finance your retirement if you sold one. They almost NEVER appear, most collectors don't know they exist.

I have a Hexanon 50/2.4. It is a very sharp lens.
View attachment 14637 Just read this comment on RFF regarding Konica lenses:-
" Konica lenses were used by the Japanese Ministry of Industry as the reference benchmark by which the quality of all other manufacturers' lenses were judged. Some companies have an obsession with quality and Konica was one of them."

I picked up a near mint Leotax with the Hexanon 50mm 1.9 attached.

Preliminary results on my Sony A7II and Techart Pro adapter look really excellent. This is a very sharp lens.

I'll post some results over the weekend when I have some time.

I also have two examples of the 50mm 1.5 Simlar lens that came on Leotax cameras. To me, I feel the Hexanon is the far better lens.

The Simlar lens is mediocre at best wide open. Even stopped down it does not have the detail, sharpness and contrast of the 50mm 1.9 Hexanon.

Will be interested in seeing results. The Simlar was designed in 1937- turns out it is the same 1-3-2-1 optical configuration that Canon used for the 85/1.5 Serenar.

Here are some images I made today. Nothing artistic, just a few test shots. Sony A7II, Techart Pro adapter. I like the lens a lot.

PS: I have an early version. Contrary to all published data I have seen, mine does not have a 40.5mm filter thread. It has an oddball 39.5 thread. It came with a green Walz filter so I'll have find an appropriate UV filter to fit.

konica1.jpg

konica2.jpg

konica3.jpg

konica4.jpg

konica5.jpg

konica6.jpg

Back