L-Mount L-mount pictures, open thread

Leica L-Mount cameras and lenses

pdk42

Top Veteran
Name
Paul
The S5 is certainly a worthy camera. Seems Panasonic deserves more credit than they get for stills!
It's interesting how little interest Panasonic S cameras get. I've used (actually owned, bought with my own cash) the Sony A7rii, Nikon Z6, and Nikon Z7. I loved the A7rii and Z7 for their resolution and IQ, but really didn't get on with either camera in terms of usability, handling, and general enjoyment. The Z6 of course handled just like the Z7, but also had a fairly strong AA filter that I thought took the edge off image sharpness. And at the time, there was very little in the way of Z lenses - and they were all pretty pricey.

So, overall, I do feel the S5 is the first FF camera that I want to keep. In addition to its usability and output, the IBIS is really much better than the Sony and Nikon systems. I always felt with other FF mirrorless cameras that I had to be very careful with anything under 1/30s even with wide lenses. With the S5 I regularly go down to 1/5s and expect to get sharp shots. That's not quite as good as with the Olympus gear I have, but it's much better than the A7rii and Z7 I used.

And of course, the L-mount lens ecosystem is now looking very comprehensive, at least up to about 300mm. After that it thins out a lot, but there is the promise of a new 60-600 Sigma lens.

On this forum, L-mount and the Panasonic S cameras are not well represented - neither it seems in users nor in the way that the forum choses to categorise the format. I guess one follows the other, so maybe with increased popularity following the S5ii's release we may see more members here using them, and then maybe the system will get its own forum area instead of being lost with various legacy Leica mounts.

Last edited:

christilou

Legend
L1010237-Edit-2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

L1010238.jpg

L1010270.jpg

L1010304.jpg

Some of Lucy this afternoon. Manual focus. Quite a lot of misses in the batch but at 1.4 the slightest movement makes a difference. The b & w are made from the b & w jpegs.

Darmok N Jalad

The eye of the potato, the thrill of the fries.
Silly me! I thought it was about the photographer.
What was this comment about? The S5 has been part of the discussion for several pages now, and it is a gear showcase thread. My claim is that it's an underrated camera body, and Panasonic deserves some credit for what they've produced. I'm not taking away from the photographer, and I've complimented @pdk42, reacted to his photos, and even asked him for PP tips in another thread here that isn't about gear.

Name
Charles
What was this comment about? The S5 has been part of the discussion for several pages now, and it is a gear showcase thread. My claim is that it's an underrated camera body, and Panasonic deserves some credit for what they've produced. I'm not taking away from the photographer, and I've complimented @pdk42, reacted to his photos, and even asked him for PP tips in another thread here that isn't about gear.
On reflection Darmok, I apologise for my inappropriate comment. I had lost sight of the fact that this is gear showcase thread. I will pay more attention in future.