L-Mount L-mount pictures, open thread

Leica L-Mount cameras and lenses
Yeah, I got a used one via eBay. Very nice it is too, but of course a bit on the big and heavy side. I’ll be keeping the S5. The S1R will probably stay, but I’m not 100% sure yet.

Do you find the files are pretty easy to push/pull? A few of the high-mp comparisons suggest the S1r doesn't have the dynamic range of the z7ii etc, but I'm not sure it really matters.

Do you find the files are pretty easy to push/pull? A few of the high-mp comparisons suggest the S1r doesn't have the dynamic range of the z7ii etc, but I'm not sure it really matters.
I’ve noticed a few things, compared to the S5:

- It’s much worse at noise at high ISO. The S5 is usable up to 12800, even 25600. The S1R I reckon tops out at 6400, and maybe even 3200 if you’re picky. Downscaling helps a little, but it’s still at least a stop worse, and maybe two. The S1R isn’t the greatest low light camera. The S5 is probably up there with the best.

- Long exposures (10s plus) tend to produce salt & pepper noise, especially if pushed in post. It wouldn’t make a good astro camera.

- Regular exposures (less than 10s) at base ISO take a lot of push/pull without causing too much degradation. It’s a good landscape camera. Definitely adds something over the S5. It’s a while since I used a Z7 so can’t remember if it’s better or worse. DxO rate them with the same sensor score, so I’d guess there’s very little between them.

Last edited:
L1020773-2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

L1020780-2.jpg

All done .... groomer this morning. When we arrived he was trembling so much that I feared for his heart (he has a heart murmur) ! Anyhow, he has survived and now resting.

L1020661-Edit.jpg

L1002633-Edit.jpg

DSC02870-Edit-4.jpg

Some also rans from the baby session I did a couple of weeks ago. Decided to edit them and see how they turned out. I rather like them myself :) Just noticed one is a Sony .... might be interesting to see any differences, if any. The Sony is using a 50mm though.

So - that's two grandkids now is it? No, we just have Lucy .... this is my youngest daughter's friends baby. A little girl called Nia. They asked me to come and take a few pics which I did although I did not interfere in any way. Sadly she was all trussed up so no hands/feet details but I just got what I could and I believe that they are very pleased .... or they might just be being polite!

Back