L-Mount L-mount pictures, open thread

Leica L-Mount cameras and lenses
Love the Loch Katrine moonrise. That S1r and 14-28 are a seriously nice combo!
Thanks. Yeah, the new 14-28 is a remarkably good lens for the money. Sharpness is really good right across the frame and across the zoom range; plus there's very little flare, and almost no CA/fringing. As a bonus, it's small, light (340g), weather-sealed, non-extending, and takes filters. The only complaint I have is that it does really poor sun-stars. The Sigma 16-28/2.8 (which I also have) is just as sharp, is a constant f2.8, and does sun-stars very well - but it's 16mm not 14mm, not weather-sealed, and is bigger and heavier (but still not a big lens at all). I'd planned to sell the Sigma, but I could be persuaded to keep it!

The power .... of the box on the wall !

L1000196-2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I know I've asked this before - but are these images composited via HDR, or is this one shot in RAW, tweaked to your preferences?
The first (Loch Awe) is just a single shot processed entirely in LR.

The second (Edge of the Copse) is a small Pano (I was quite close to the trees and couldn't get the view I wanted without a little stitching). It's then processed entirely in LR.

Another question for Paul as the S5 guru - how do you find the Panny high-res modes, if indeed you've used it? Most reports suggest it handles image movement a little better than Olympus versions , just wondering if the 80mp landscapes come out with better detail and colour tones than a standard 24mp shot?

Another question for Paul as the S5 guru - how do you find the Panny high-res modes, if indeed you've used it? Most reports suggest it handles image movement a little better than Olympus versions , just wondering if the 80mp landscapes come out with better detail and colour tones than a standard 24mp shot?
I've used it a few times. It works very well, but of course you need the camera on a tripod. With the option to remove subject movement it does a decent job even with a lot of movement in the frame. My assumption is that it's merging extracts from a single frame to stitch into the areas of the hi-res version where there is movement. It does it very well - I really can't see the joins (so literally, seamless).

But I'm not really into really hi-res images. They chew up huge amounts of disk space and only really deliver a benefit when you go pixel peeking. I usually size my Flickr posts to 4000px longest edge and for printing, 24Mp is perfectly fine for even really big prints.

When I had my EM1.3, I used HHHR from time to time, but I used it as a way of improving shadow noise so that I could expose for sky and then push later in LR. With the S5, I can do that without the need for stacking.

Back