Sony CAVEAT EMPTOR! LA-EA4 Weirdness

I bought an LA-EA4 for my A7RIII a few months ago. I noticed there was a problem with the 35-105, it would only connect with the camera intermittently. I figured I'd check into it later, then the holidays came, etc. It works fine with the 28-135 and 100-400, which is mostly how I use it. The other day I tried it with a prime, and it doesn't see the lens at all. No AF, no aperture.

Tonight I checked all of my A-Mount lenses. See below. They all work with the M4 and EA5. On the RIII and EA4, some work, some don't, some are intermittent. I can get the 35-105 to work sometimes if I clean the contacts on the adapter, then it stops. I think there's something loose inside the adapter. The 'intermittent' are depending on where the lens is at in the zoom range. Most work at both ends, the 70-210 works at both ends and in the middle. According to Sony all of them have identical compatibility and all are compatible on the LA-EA4/A7RIII combination.

I might think there was something loose in the zooms, but they all work with the LA-EA5, and there are two primes that don't work. The common denominator is the adapter. Fortunately, it was purchased through KEH and there's still warranty left.

Sony A7RIII and LA-EA4
Lens
AF
Aperture
W/A7IV and LA-EA5
Sony Compatibility
50 Macro​
No​
No​
X​
X​
50​
X​
X​
X​
X​
85​
No​
No​
X​
X​
28-135​
X​
X​
X​
X​
100-400​
X​
X​
X​
X​
100-200​
X​
X​
X​
X​
70-210​
Intermittent​
Intermittent​
X​
X​
35-105​
Intermittent​
Intermittent​
X​
X​
75-300​
Intermittent​
Intermittent​
X​
X​
500 Ref​
No​
X (fixed)​
X​
X​
80-200 HS G​
X​
X​
X​
X​

Last edited:
Well, based on the responses I figured you're all losing sleep over this, so I figured I'd close the loop!

I contacted KEH and they replaced it under warranty. (yay!) The new one arrived yesterday. This morning I tested it with the 28-135 and 100-400 (both of which worked before), and the 85/1.4, the 500AF Reflex, and the 35-105. Everything works as it should. I'll check the other lenses in a few days to be certain, but I don't expect any more problems.

Caveat Emptor! If you decide to buy one, I recommend that you test it with as many lenses as you can lay hands on or buy it from a place that has a return policy. I don't blame KEH for this, I doubt they do more than a cursory connect with one lens, and unless someone is aware they'd never know to look for it. I don't think I'd buy one from fleabay or sight unseen. May never happen again, but lesson learned.

I know these lenses aren't everyone's cup-o'-tea, but I love them. The count is now 11 wonderful A-Mount Minolta lenses.

Back