Micro 4/3 Lack of Grips for OM-1

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Hall of Famer
Name
Ovi
Heuou. I have noticed this particularity recently while I was researching the Olympus OM-D E-M1X and the Olympus HLD-9/10 for OM-1.

Basically there are not many options for extending the grip of OM-1 (and Mark II) as it was for the Olympus E-M1 Mark II and III available.

While there is a reasonable amount of discussion and comparison between the HLD9 and 10 (if it's better or not it's a lot on personal opinion and preferences it seems) there are not that many 3rd party L brackets:
*There is 3 Legged Thing's Ollie L bracket for 100 £
*There's NiSi's Universal L Bracket for 30 £
*Neewer and LeoFoto's L brackets at 17 and 30 £
*SmallRig has a cage for 100 £

But what I have noticed is NONE of these actually go around the battery compartment and extend the height of the camera for the pinky finger to rest on. Which is what I would have loved and bough one for.
All the past Olympus cameras had this and I don't understand why all of sudden no one makes the brackets cover the entire base plate anymore.

I know they are at least cheaper then paying 300 £ (even used they go for 250 £) but there's no option in between. The Olympus HLD-9 goes for around 50-100 £.

I used to have a base bracket on all the time on my Olympus OM-D E-M1X Mark I, Mark III, Sony a7C, Sony A7 IV because it helped with the ergonomics quite a bit.
(Especially when I want to use my heavier lenses like 100-400mm, 40-150mm Pro or full setup macro with flash)

Thank you so much, the link didn't work but a manual search got me there:
1000018565.png

It's what I was hoping for but I couldn't find, the price is affordable (at least compared to other "options"). I have heard of the product before but I forgot about it some years ago (for other cameras).
I'm not sure I am going to use the folding part (but I might try it with the Oly 100-400mm) but the extra thickness at the bottom should help with the pinky grip.

Last edited:
If you're interested in the STC Fogrip, there are some photos in this Flickr album which show it mounted on my EM1 III (fits the OM-1, I believe). See middle part of album. I liked it and the folding grip part extends your grip on the camera down into your palm. However, I found that the Smallrig Halfcage was better suited to my needs and replaced the Fogrip with the Smallrig.

I have some photos of the Smallrig in use somewhere. I can post them if you want to see them.

Ah, here are a couple of photos of the Smallrig cage on my EM1 III (at the time). It fits my current OM-1 just fine. I'm able to use the multiple threaded holes on the cage to attach an A/S plate that I can use as an L-plate or orient it to slide my rig back on forth on my Wimberley Monogimbal to balance it out when used on a monopod. I've also mounted an LED light on a mini magic arm for macro using the cage. Very versatile. Not just for video.

With an A/S plate mounted for fore and aft movement. Turn 90 deg for l-plate use. Have a 4/3rd Sigma 105 f2.8 macro mounted with an MMF-2 adaptor.
IMG_5310.jpg

Showing that the rear display can be mostly deployed in this setup. I really like the Smallrig cage. No, it doesn't extend all the way to the right, so if you're looking for additional support for the pinky, this ain't it. However, it suits my other needs just fine, so I keep it.
IMG_5309.jpg

Last edited:
If you're interested in the STC Fogrip, there are some photos in this Flickr album which show it mounted on my EM1 III (fits the OM-1, I believe). See middle part of album. I liked it and the folding grip part extends your grip on the camera down into your palm. However, I found that the Smallrig Halfcage was better suited to my needs and replaced the Fogrip with the Smallrig.

I have some photos of the Smallrig in use somewhere. I can post them if you want to see them.

Ah, here are a couple of photos of the Smallrig cage on my EM1 III (at the time). It fits my current OM-1 just fine. I'm able to use the multiple threaded holes on the cage to attach an A/S plate that I can use as an L-plate or orient it to slide my rig back on forth on my Wimberley Monogimbal to balance it out when used on a monopod. I've also mounted an LED light on a mini magic arm for macro using the cage. Very versatile. Not just for video.

With an A/S plate mounted for fore and aft movement. Turn 90 deg for l-plate use. Have a 4/3rd Sigma 105 f2.8 macro mounted with an MMF-2 adaptor.
View attachment 476581

Showing that the rear display can be mostly deployed in this setup. I really like the Smallrig cage. No, it doesn't extend all the way to the right, so if you're looking for additional support for the pinky, this ain't it. However, it suits my other needs just fine, so I keep it.
View attachment 476579
Thanks for the info. Cages are not exactly what I am looking for because I don't shoot video and they are overkill extra weight for me. Yes I do need and want a grip that extends around the battery door for extra comfort for the pinky. Every little bit helps because my hand tremors have only been getting worse in the last few years and it can make certain types of photography shooting very difficult if not impossible.
Most frustrating has been trying to hand held focus stack because even at 1/100 there can be some trail motion no matter how much power I put into the flash from my handling. I can't hold the plants that the critters might be on because I will cause more motion then the wind itself.

I will try to see if STC Fogrip has PayPal option for payment so I can split it over 3 months.

Thanks for the info. Cages are not exactly what I am looking for because I don't shoot video and they are overkill extra weight for me. Yes I do need and want a grip that extends around the battery door for extra comfort for the pinky. Every little bit helps because my hand tremors have only been getting worse in the last few years and it can make certain types of photography shooting very difficult if not impossible.
Most frustrating has been trying to hand held focus stack because even at 1/100 there can be some trail motion no matter how much power I put into the flash from my handling. I can't hold the plants that the critters might be on because I will cause more motion then the wind itself.

I will try to see if STC Fogrip has PayPal option for payment so I can split it over 3 months.
Oooh, I dunno whether either will help with your hand tremors. That's a tough one. Hope you can find a way.

Oooh, I dunno whether either will help with your hand tremors. That's a tough one. Hope you can find a way.
Here's one way I deal with the "wobblies" or inability to hold still. Not so much shaking hands as not being able to hold my body still which is a pain when you're working at close macro distances.

I use the SmallRig cage to mount my camera to a monopod with a Monogimbal to help steady the camera. If I kneel down on one knee, it also helps to stabilize me (I routinely wear a kneepad to facilitate this).

I linked the 2nd photo earlier showing how the A/S plate attaches to the cage for use with the Monogimbal.

53834852727_46c36eea11_c.jpg IMG_5310.jpg

Last edited:
*There is 3 Legged Thing's Ollie L bracket for 100 £
*There's NiSi's Universal L Bracket for 30 £
*Neewer and LeoFoto's L brackets at 17 and 30 £
*SmallRig has a cage for 100 £

But what I have noticed is NONE of these actually go around the battery compartment and extend the height of the camera for the pinky finger to rest on. Which is what I would have loved and bough one for.

Really right stuff makes a base plate and L-set for the OM-1, which does go around the battery compartment.

I have no experience with this one, but really enjoyed the one for my E-M1 III.

Back