Landscapes from Yosemite and the Eastern Sierra

Stephen S

Veteran
Name
Stephen Scharf
My company had an "enforced vacation" last 4th of July week, so I took the opportunity to spend the week in the Yosemite and Eastern Sierra areas.

Took the X-Pro1...here are some shots from that trip.

Shot shots passing through Yosemite, heading over Tioga Pass and Tuolomne Meadows

VistaPtTrees3.jpg

TiogaTrees.jpg

TiogaLake.jpg

YosemitePond.jpg

Crepuscular rays breaking through the clouds, looking west from the Mono Lake area to the Eastern Sierras.

EasternSierrasGodRays.jpg

Part of the Twin Lakes, west of Mammoth Lakes. Fuji fab Fourteen.

TwinLakes.jpg

Looking down on Twin Lakes from near the waterfall at the top.

TwinLakesfromFalls.jpg

The falls near the top of Twin Lakes.
TwinlakesWaterfall.jpg

Thanks, Walker. I try to get out to the Eastern Sierra at least once a year. It's really beautiful out there. The superb dynamic range of the X-Pro1 really pays dividends for landscape shots like these....virtually no HDR in any of these.
just out of curiosity, which metering mode did you use? I feel quite comfortable w/ the average mode when shooting in the mountains

The standard matrix metering. I also took some shots with my Oly E-M5 on this trip. It's a terrific little camera with excellent image quality, but it simply cannot match the X-Pro1 for color and dynamic range. All the shots were taken with either the 18-55 or the fab Fuji Fourteen. I hardly ever use my 35mm 1.4 prime now that I have the 18-55. I think 18-55 is a helluva good zoom, and probably every bit as good, if not better, than the vast majority of standard zooms I've ever shot with, with the exception of the newest Canon 24-70 f2.8 II, which is almost 3.5X the price of the 18-55.

Wonderful series, Stephen; brings back some sweet memories of my time there (many moons ago).

I hardly ever use my 35mm 1.4 prime now that I have the 18-55. I think 18-55 is a helluva good zoom, and probably every bit as good, if not better, than the vast majority of standard zooms I've ever shot with, with the exception of the newest Canon 24-70 f2.8 II, which is almost 3.5X the price of the 18-55.

Dunno about the Canon but the XF1855 sure is one hell of a zoom. My 35mm has been sitting in a box for 4 months now. It's exactly the opposite with my NEX-7 ... I almost exclusively use the superb 30mm Sigma on it while the so-so 1855 is collecting dust.

Wow, you had a hell of a day of shooting! Not to mention just being out there... Beautiful work!

-Ray

Thanks, Ray. These shots were taken over the course of 4-5 days up in the Sierras. The Yosemite shots were taken coming over Tioga Pass on the drive out to Mammoth Lakes. The shots at Mono Lake were taken a couple days later, but the same day as the shots from the June Lake Loop.

Back