Landscapes with Canon G9

Mayank

Veteran
Hello again, friends. I've not been active here for sometime; not active as a photographer actually owing to work demands. Last week, when I went out on a birding outing (main agenda) to Sambhar lake (Rajasthan, India) with some friends, I took my Canon PowerShot G9 along. We were lucky to witness an amazing sunset at the lake and I thought some of the photographs I got were worth sharing here. They were shot in RAW (I used a polariser on the Lensmate adapter to control the water reflections) and processed in ACR and Photoshop. Thanks for looking!

sunset_sambhar_lake2.jpg

sunset_sambhar_lake3.jpg

sunset_sambhar_lake5.jpg

sunset_sambhar_lake6.jpg

sunset_sambhar_lake8.jpg

sunset_sambhar_lake.jpg

sunset_sambhar_lake4.jpg

sunset_sambhar_lake7.jpg

sunset_sambhar_lake10.jpg

Great to see you again mate. Amazing what such an old , out-dated, tiny sensor can achieve ;) Very nice work and the colours are extraordinary, very special moments shared. Thanks.

Thanks again for your kind comments. A polarising filter makes a huge difference to outdoor shoots, particularly landscapes and I would hesitate to do a serious outdoor shoot (with a compact) without a polariser. In fact, I have not come across too many discussions on the internet about using a polariser on compact cameras and I wonder if any of you use one on occasions?

Thanks again for your kind comments. A polarising filter makes a huge difference to outdoor shoots, particularly landscapes and I would hesitate to do a serious outdoor shoot (with a compact) without a polariser. In fact, I have not come across too many discussions on the internet about using a polariser on compact cameras and I wonder if any of you use one on occasions?

Thanks for beautiful photos Mayank and is like an eye opener for me that what one can do with G9 and polarizer filter. No, the only time I used polarizer was very bad time. I used it on my UW lens (tokina 11-16mm) and results were good but too dramatic for me. Sky from one side was darker than the other. I took it totally wrong and never used it again. I know its good for wide angle to standard lenses and maybe I should give it a try as I bought one for my 40mm FE Pany lens, specially after seeing those crispy reflections in water, from your photos. :rolleyes:

I used to use a circular polarizer with an Oly 14-54 lens. But never got another one for any of my other lenses. But I do recall seeing a big difference, particularly with reducing glare.

I bought lens adapter tubes with almost every A series Canon PowerShot I had (A95, A620, A640, A590 IS, A 720 IS) and the G9 and used them with polarising filters on many occasions for water and sky shots. My old film era linear polariser works perfectly on a Canon A590 IS! What a pity Canon or even most other camera manufacturers for that matter, no longer make lens / filter adapters for compacts. Lensmateonline.com has found a solution by offering 'quick change' filter adapters that stick to the front of a compact lens. I believe their adapters can fit on lenses of many other compacts and not just the camera models they advertise. For example, I found that the diameter of my Canon SX130IS lens is exactly the same as that of a Canon G10/11/12 and therefore it would take the Lensmate quick change adapter for G10 (but I haven't yet ordered).

Back