Leica Lately I've been shooting with Voigtlander lenses

Summilux 50mm f1.4
The difference....... :)

L1009546.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I've got a couple of them, very different beasts indeed: the 40mm f/2 Ultron for Nikon F, the 35mm f/1.4 Nokton and the 21mm f/4 Color-Skopar for Leica M. The Nokton is a capricious lens - very sharp and controlled at f/5.6, funky and a bit unpredicatable at f/1.4, with crazy bokeh. The Ultron is a very nice pancake - sharp, with very pleasant and even rendering. I enjoy using both these lenses, but my favourite is the tiny 21mm pancake: bold, punchy images, decently sharp wide open, flares like mad, but this can be used for dramatic effects. I also like the fact that it's a reasonably well correct lens for distortion and aberrations. Even so, I also like it for b&w:
_A720528_01.jpg

M.

M10, Voigtländer Ultron 35mm f/1.7 II.

LM100791.jpg

LM100794.jpg

Wide open performance is quite convincing; it doesn't have the punch of the Zeiss Biogon C (which is my benchmark for lenses of this kind - but it's one and a half stops slower ...).

M.

I own two for M mount. The 35/1.4 Nokton SC and the 50mm f/1.5 Nokton ASPH. The 50 is outstanding, with very smooth bokeh and sharp from corner-to-corner from f/2.8 and only suffering a bit in the corners wide-open. It has no noticeable focus shift either making it very easy to work with.

The 35 is a different beast, behaving much like a vintage lens with noticeable focus shift and a general lack of sharpness at wide apertures in the corners, but nice and sharp in the center. Bokeh as others note can be quite nervous, but can also be beautiful depending on what it is that's being blurred.

Neither is my only lens of that focal length, with the 35 as a lightweight and classical alternative to the ultra-sharp and modern Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 Distagon ZM and the 50 an alternative to my very classical and gorgeous Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux pre-ASPH.

I am kinda bummed about my decision to buy a Leica lens for my new MP240. Voigtländer is a name I look up to, while knowing they may not have the best reputation amongst service.

For the one used 35 Summicron ASPH I could have bought the generally-held-excellent 35 Color-Skopar and a 35 Nokton for special stuff. And still have half of the money left.

Back