GAS Latest Shiny Things (non camera related)

There’s this website called Ozbargain. Don’t know if the other Aussies here know about it. I find it irresistible and will peruse the latest in bargains a couple of times a week. Theres a lot of junk... but... occasionally something worth having.

Last time I looked, I ordered a mini dishwasher. (what the? I hear you say...). Yes, its a tiny dishwasher intended for kitchens like mine which are barely as big as a pocket handkerchief. 3 place settings only and it wont fit my favourite frypan or saucepan/steamer... but I have never had a dishwasher... ever... so once it gets installed, it will get something of a workout. It should also provide Toby with some kitty tv entertainment (he liked the microwave oven when I had one with a turntable... the flatbed doesnt interest him at all.). This dishwasher doesnt require plumbing in, it only takes 5L of water, and I really need to hop to and get it installed. rearranging the kitchen, first. Here’s the promo video. Its also marketed elsewhere in the world under other brands.

There’s this website called Ozbargain. Don’t know if the other Aussies here know about it. I find it irresistible and will peruse the latest in bargains a couple of times a week. Theres a lot of junk... but... occasionally something worth having.

Last time I looked, I ordered a mini dishwasher. (what the? I hear you say...). Yes, its a tiny dishwasher intended for kitchens like mine which are barely as big as a pocket handkerchief. 3 place settings only and it wont fit my favourite frypan or saucepan/steamer... but I have never had a dishwasher... ever... so once it gets installed, it will get something of a workout. It should also provide Toby with some kitty tv entertainment (he liked the microwave oven when I had one with a turntable... the flatbed doesnt interest him at all.). This dishwasher doesnt require plumbing in, it only takes 5L of water, and I really need to hop to and get it installed. rearranging the kitchen, first. Here’s the promo video. Its also marketed elsewhere in the world under other brands.

There’s a guy at my office, runs his own commercial finance company. First thing he does every day is log on to ozbargain and before you know it he’s sending me offers on Sketchers shoes for $12 etc. He’s almost got me into that same habit.

Z60_3100.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Not new, but freshly back from the lutier's: my concert uke - and gosh, has the guy done a fine job! The instrument is completely changed, much more playable; sounds great, too. And all that for a song - I'm not sure he even charged for his work (or just for parts - I had the strings and saddle changed; it's got a low G string now, too).

I'm chuffed! Something to remember.

M.

Last edited:
Non camera related. Treated myself to a new 4K TV. Sony Bravia 65” X85K.

Gave my old 48” Bravia to my daughter as she is moving into her new house this weekend.

Excited to see how the 120 hz refresh looks.
Whenever we need a new TV, I always check them all carefully for IQ, colour, etc. I keep buying Sony TV's because they just look better to us. Haven't had anything else for more than 16 years. Our first flat screen TV (Sony 48") still works perfectly after about 10-12 years.

Whenever we need a new TV, I always check them all carefully for IQ, colour, etc. I keep buying Sony TV's because they just look better to us. Haven't had anything else for more than 16 years. Our first flat screen TV (Sony 48") still works perfectly after about 10-12 years.

Tried others in the past, Vizio, Samsung to name a few. Since getting the Sony, it has been a solid performer. As you mentioned, Sony has a lot of strengths in IQ, color and contrast. Thought about entertaining an LG, but have zero experience.

Must be in the TV upgrading spirit, because we just upgraded as well. We've had one of TCL's 4-series 4K TVs for a long time and really appreciated its solid, no-frills performance, but I've been wanting to upgrade to the 5-series, QLED with Dolby Vision. Finally found a good deal. We tried upgrading to the Google TV OS version of this TV early this year, but the software was hot garbage. It was the buggiest experience I've ever had in a TV by far - and that's after a supposed patch came out to fix the issues. I'm pretty happy with this set.

Last edited:
Must be in the TV upgrading spirit, because we just upgraded as well. We've had one of TCL's $-series 4K TVs for a long time and really appreciated its solid, no-frills performance, but I've been wanting to upgrade to the 5-series, QLED with Dolby Vision. Finally found a good deal. We tried upgrading to the Google TV OS version of this TV early this year, but the software was hot garbage. It was the buggiest experience I've ever had in a TV by far - and that's after a supposed patch came out to fix the issues. I'm pretty happy with this set.

I’m not a fan of Google TV either. Even tried the TiVo version of it but dumped it and went back to Roku. For me, Roku is minimalistic, but very solid performance. Roku Ultra 4K all the way.

Another totally unrelated-to-photography acquisition, I recently traded in my first-iteration Nintendo Switch along with a few games and peripherals for a used Switch OLED at a local indie used game store. The OLED model was quite new but had seen some slightly hard usage - the Joy-Con controllers are a bit banged up. But the OLED screen is a major improvement. Brilliant and vivid, and noticeably larger due to the very small bevels, compared to the chunky ones on the original Switch. The battery is also larger-capacity than the one on my old model, and battery life is noticeable too. What brought this to mind was the announcement of the actual long-awaited release date for the sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. May of '23!

Slightly off topic ... :rofl: :ROFLMAO: .

A semi-professional manicure kit in surgical stainless steel.

Proper grips for my arthritic wrists and thumbs.

Particularly useful for doing my wife's toenails, as she reckons that I do a far better job than the professional podiatrist she went to about half a dozen times.

I've been doing toenails and ingrown toenails since I was at boarding school. The other kids reckoned that I did a better job than the professionals too!

Will help keep my own under control too. Anything that limits the time I spend bent like a pretzel will help with my buggered lumbar spine. Both mine and SWMBO's are jobs that I dread, as puts me out of action for at least a full day.

Just tried the clippers out, and they are deadly sharp, and the large, shaped handles are fantastic. The absolutely critical design feature is that the cutting edges meet perfectly, and have the right curvature. These are brilliant! My straight blade clippers next to them.

Cameras are not the only thing where personal ergonomics are crucial ...

IMG_20221103_113911_424.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Slightly off topic ... :rofl: :ROFLMAO: .

A semi-professional manicure kit in surgical stainless steel.

Proper grips for my arthritic wrists and thumbs.

Particularly useful for doing my wife's toenails, as she reckons that I do a far better job than the professional podiatrist she went to about half a dozen times.

I've been doing toenails and ingrown toenails since I was at boarding school. The other kids reckoned that I did a better job than the professionals too!

Will help keep my own under control too. Anything that limits the time I spend bent like a pretzel will help with my buggered lumbar spine. Both mine and SWMBO's are jobs that I dread, as puts me out of action for at least a full day.

Just tried the clippers out, and they are deadly sharp, and the large, shaped handles are fantastic. The absolutely critical design feature is that the cutting edges meet perfectly, and have the right curvature. These are brilliant! My straight blade clippers next to them.

Cameras are not the only thing where personal ergonomics are crucial ...

View attachment 345591

I have this one toenail on a hammer toe. Looks more like a decaying molar than a toenail.

Long handled side cutters are the only way to go (can't reach my nails on my right foot) - I also used them to cut a jammed filter off a lens yesterday :)

Getting old is sh**

View attachment 285388

Not new, but freshly back from the lutier's: my concert uke - and gosh, has the guy done a fine job! The instrument is completely changed, much more playable; sounds great, too. And all that for a song - I'm not sure he even charged for his work (or just for parts - I had the strings and saddle changed; it's got a low G string now, too).

I'm chuffed! Something to remember.

M.

You have a concert Uke, Matt?!?!?!!!
This is sooooo cool!
Looks like a beautiful instrument, too :)

You have a concert Uke, Matt?!?!?!!!
This is sooooo cool!
Looks like a beautiful instrument, too :)
Yes, I do, and yes, it's a nice one, even though it was quite inexpensive - these are really rewarding instruments. Haven't played it lately, though ... Thanks for reminding me; once concert season's over (I'm busy with my various saxophones at the moment), I'll have a go at it again.

M.

Back