GAS Latest Shiny Things (non camera related)

My wife's away in Brisbane for the last week. Coming home tomorrow.

The second Stressless ergonomic armchair was delivered yesterday, about a month ahead of schedule, so will be a nice Mother's Day surprise for her.

Crappy, cropped (shock, horror ... ;) ) photo of the two of them, taken with my tablet camera.

IMG_20230514_113625_541-24.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mine is the medium size on the left, hers is the small size one on the right. Subtlety different dimensions all round.

GAS? What GAS?

View attachment 384217

My YouTube feed has recently been showing me videos talking about "seniors over 60", to which I shout at the TV "I am not a senior! I ride a bike!"

Almost on cue, YT shows a video title proclaiming the bike in the box above " The best e-bike for seniors over 60."

Sigh.
Tony,
Let us know how you like it. I have been getting the e-bike curiosity urge lately. But haven’t tried one or know anyone personally that has one.

Tony,
Let us know how you like it. I have been getting the e-bike curiosity urge lately. But haven’t tried one or know anyone personally that has one.
I like it so far. I've done rides of 6, 30, and 37, in addition to some short jaunts up and down my street. Mine is an Aventon Pace 500.2, which has a 48V 500W motor, 8 speed gears, and cadence sensing. It weighs 52 pounds, which makes it fun when lifting up to my bike rack, which is e- bike rated. There are e-bikes that weigh as little as 35-ish pounds, but those tend to have 36V 350W motors and tires around 35mm wide. From what I recall from seeing your pics, you probably weigh well under 200 lbs. If all you ride is city streets and bike paths, a lighter bike with narrower tires like the Aventon Soltera or Trek Dual Sport+ 2 might suit you, although the lightweight offerings from Trek and Specialized tend to be at least $1,000 more than similar offerings from Aventon or Velotric. There's also the question of cadence sensing vs torque sensing. The former kicks in the pedal assist at the selected setting after about one rotation of the pedal, and the latter applies power as soon as the pedal is moved, and the faster the pedal is moved, the more power the motor provides. I had mine on pedal assist 1 and 6th gear for the first 18.5 miles of my recent ride, and I went 10 miles before stopping briefly to drink some water and rest my backside. I was also riding on packed gravel on tires that are 2.2" wide.

Another consideration is local and/ or state laws. My bike came out of the box as a Class 2, but I temporarily removed the throttle control to make it a Class 1 so I would be in compliance with trail restrictions, which forbid any e-bike with a throttle. Our state law changes on May 28 to allow Class 2 e-bikes on state rail trails, and I intend to reinstall the throttle lever then. Lots to think about, and lots of e-bikes on the market. I like Trek bikes and have had several, but a Trek e-bike with similar specs to mine was way more expensive. Aventon also certifies that all of their e-bike batteries are tested to UL 2849 standards. That's pretty important, as Li-ion cells pack a punch. I always charge mine off the bike in a triple layer bag designed to contain high heat fires . . . just in case.

I always charge mine off the bike in a triple layer bag designed to contain high heat fires . . . just in case.
Yeah, Tony. E-bike charging is mostly responsible for an increasing number of serious house fires here. The fire brigades strongly suggest that these, and similar devices, are never charged inside or attached to a dwelling.

{Edit} It's one reason that I have put off attaching a battery to our solar panel array.

However, there are now LiFePO4 batteries available for domestic use, and they are far less likely to ignite, and are much easier to extinguish if they do.
{End edit}

Last edited:
Yeah, Tony. E-bike charging is mostly responsible for an increasing number of serious house fires here. The fire brigades strongly suggest that these, and similar devices, are never charged inside or attached to a dwelling.

{Edit} It's one reason that I have put off attaching a battery to our solar panel array.

However, there are now LiFePO4 batteries available for domestic use, and they are far less likely to ignite, and are much easier to extinguish if they do.
{End edit}
I don't want to derail this thread, but I too have avoided adding Li battery packs to my solar panels for fear of fires. I am hoping that iron slurry batteries will be available soon and I can use those.

Li ion batteries always slightly scare me. I use several dependable power banks, but I never like charging them if I'm going to be leaving them unattended. I've never had a problem, but there is a first time for every disaster...
Simple advice from those who know, Andrew:

Only EVER use the charger designed for the battery.

Personally, I almost always touch the battery being charged after about 15 minutes on charge. If it's just warm, it's probably OK. If it gets hot (over about 55-60⁰C, then it's probably dangerous. That's the temperature most hot water systems are set at, by default (for reference).

If it changes dimensions at all, dispose of it at a recycling place.

I also unplug or switch off the charger and/or remove the battery when charging has finished.

All my camera chargers, including third party ones, refuse to charge a sick battery. It seems that message hasn't gotten through to some of the e-bike manufacturers yet.

Last edited:
I don't want to derail this thread, but I too have avoided adding Li battery packs to my solar panels for fear of fires. I am hoping that iron slurry batteries will be available soon and I can use those.
Sungrow already make the nearest thing, LiFePO4, Dan. These are also expandable after initial installation, stackable modules. Also highly fire resistant, unlike Li-Ion batteries.
Iron slurry batteries are just too big for most domestic use. They are fantastic, though.

I like it so far. I've done rides of 6, 30, and 37, in addition to some short jaunts up and down my street. Mine is an Aventon Pace 500.2, which has a 48V 500W motor, 8 speed gears, and cadence sensing. It weighs 52 pounds, which makes it fun when lifting up to my bike rack, which is e- bike rated. There are e-bikes that weigh as little as 35-ish pounds, but those tend to have 36V 350W motors and tires around 35mm wide. From what I recall from seeing your pics, you probably weigh well under 200 lbs. If all you ride is city streets and bike paths, a lighter bike with narrower tires like the Aventon Soltera or Trek Dual Sport+ 2 might suit you, although the lightweight offerings from Trek and Specialized tend to be at least $1,000 more than similar offerings from Aventon or Velotric. There's also the question of cadence sensing vs torque sensing. The former kicks in the pedal assist at the selected setting after about one rotation of the pedal, and the latter applies power as soon as the pedal is moved, and the faster the pedal is moved, the more power the motor provides. I had mine on pedal assist 1 and 6th gear for the first 18.5 miles of my recent ride, and I went 10 miles before stopping briefly to drink some water and rest my backside. I was also riding on packed gravel on tires that are 2.2" wide.

Another consideration is local and/ or state laws. My bike came out of the box as a Class 2, but I temporarily removed the throttle control to make it a Class 1 so I would be in compliance with trail restrictions, which forbid any e-bike with a throttle. Our state law changes on May 28 to allow Class 2 e-bikes on state rail trails, and I intend to reinstall the throttle lever then. Lots to think about, and lots of e-bikes on the market. I like Trek bikes and have had several, but a Trek e-bike with similar specs to mine was way more expensive. Aventon also certifies that all of their e-bike batteries are tested to UL 2849 standards. That's pretty important, as Li-ion cells pack a punch. I always charge mine off the bike in a triple layer bag designed to contain high heat fires . . . just in case.
Great info Tony. I have avoided researching ebikes to any extent primarily because of the whole battery lifecycle. Plus the noted dangers of fire ignition. And something that has been always important for me is the very positive experience of human powered riding.
But I am over 60 and to travel distances the e assist is something I would a least like to try. May do a rental first if I can find a good local vendor.

Well, even though I thought I was done ordering stuff, I have things arriving this week. Again. I really miss the days of being able to find things I needed locally, and if they didn't have them in stock they could order and the item(s) would be on the next truck to the store.

Simple but sturdy audio stand? Nowhere to be found locally. Even nightstands, with much less usability/ function for audio are difficult to find, and most are cheap chipboard for about half the price of a real audio stand.

Used to be able to go into a handful of local stores that sold electronics and find one or more Terk amplified antennas. Not even one carries Terks these days.

So, placed an order with Crutchfield. Pangea Audio Vulcan rack and a Terk Tower inbound. Hopefully they don't get broken in shipment. (If all goes well, within a week I'll have another update in my ongoing declutter project. Trying to get my main living space into a more comfortable and usable space. Once the clutter is gone I'll need to get standing height work tables, a swivel recliner for the living area, and a sleeping chair for the bedroom. And it'll be mostly done.)

This is a bit personal but it feels good to share:

PXL_20230517_210918261.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nintendo Switch OLED Zelda Tears of a Kingdom Edition.

The reason I got it is to replace my original Nintendo Switch because it brings to many memories of me and my late girlfriend playing together.

The 2nd reason is that I am planning on going back to Romania on a holiday for 3 weeks this October and I haven't seen my 9 year old niece in 7 years an I have never met my new niece, she was born 2 months after the due date of my unborn daughter was.
Anywho, the reason is that I want my nieces to be able to play together games.

When I grew up in the 90s our family couldn't afford the big consoles of that day so we got the Chinese knockoffs. Me and my sister played so many hundreds of hours games like Dyna Blaster, Tanks, Mario Bros, and many others that I can't remember the name right now. Those are some of the most precious memories I have of my childhood and I want that for my nieces as well. Gaming has been 75% of my existence for more then 30 years but it has slowly been swapped out with photography in the last 10 years.

Now I need to get a handful of co-op and fun kids games like Kirby, Mario Kart, Stardew Valley, My Little Pony, etc.

This is a bit personal but it feels good to share:

View attachment 388302
Nintendo Switch OLED Zelda Tears of a Kingdom Edition.

The reason I got it is to replace my original Nintendo Switch because it brings to many memories of me and my late girlfriend playing together.

The 2nd reason is that I am planning on going back to Romania on a holiday for 3 weeks this October and I haven't seen my 9 year old niece in 7 years an I have never met my new niece, she was born 2 months after the due date of my unborn daughter was.
Anywho, the reason is that I want my nieces to be able to play together games.

When I grew up in the 90s our family couldn't afford the big consoles of that day so we got the Chinese knockoffs. Me and my sister played so many hundreds of hours games like Dyna Blaster, Tanks, Mario Bros, and many others that I can't remember the name right now. Those are some of the most precious memories I have of my childhood and I want that for my nieces as well. Gaming has been 75% of my existence for more then 30 years but it has slowly been swapped out with photography in the last 10 years.

Now I need to get a handful of co-op and fun kids games like Kirby, Mario Kart, Stardew Valley, My Little Pony, etc.
Zelda, eh. And it's a Nintendo. Can you get Goldeneye or Shadowman for that?

My wife's away in Brisbane for the last week. Coming home tomorrow.

The second Stressless ergonomic armchair was delivered yesterday, about a month ahead of schedule, so will be a nice Mother's Day surprise for her.

Crappy, cropped (shock, horror ... ;) ) photo of the two of them, taken with my tablet camera.

View attachment 387488
Mine is the medium size on the left, hers is the small size one on the right. Subtlety different dimensions all round.

You just need his and hers crowns and you're all set and on topic.

Zelda, eh. And it's a Nintendo. Can you get Goldeneye or Shadowman for that?
Unfortunately not. Goldeneye has been stuck in license limbo and no one is allowed to make any remakes, remastered or even ports of the original, sorry. I don't know about Shadowman, I've heard of spiritual successor but not that many official ports. You could probably emulate it on PC.

I'm not much fan of Zelda to be honest but I am enjoying Breath of The Wild so far and very few open world games attract me these days (to much random crap to do with no context, story or purpose other then waste your time).

You just need his and hers crowns and you're all set and on topic.
She a) got a surprise; and b) likes it very, very much, as I do mine.

Pretty expensive, but a really comfortable chair is not a luxury as one gets old, and a bit buggered, rather a necessity. The pair were a fair way towards the cost of an X2D, sans lens.

So, I have branched out a bit on the hobby front.

A couple of decades ago, I took a full ham license, somewhat after the fact. The unit I was with back then did a group buy of Icom AT2 when they where phased out, of which I bought two for service use. Many of us saw it as somewhat wasteful to just have access to the whatever frequencies the G6 would dash out occasionally, so we came together and organized a ham radio course.

By some happenstance, I managed to get through it, not being especially interested in the technical bits, with Ohms law and all that tosh. I wanted to use not build, and I never was much into the math side of things anyhow. So had the Icoms, bought a Icom 703 HF and a Buddipole antenna system and then swiftly ended up with two kids, and doing either 65 hours or 6 days of the week in the woods type of job, and work brought its own comms systems so no need for mine. So had the gear in a suitcase, lent out the antenna system to a commo guy in yet another unit and quickly forgot the whole thing. Come covid, the 703 went out the door to fund some camera gear, the Buddipole was lost in the fog of time and one AT was sold off years ago, the other one I havent managed to find, but I did buy a Wouxun HT some years ago, which I never got under the skin of.

Come earlier this year, I elbowed myself into a comms course to get some insight into new systems and such stuff, and there is the fellow that lent the Buddipole instructing.

So, doing this and that, I got some inspiration going, as well as getting a cash replacement for the Buddipole, that was broken down in parts, and gone with the wind in the 14 years it have been on loan.

So somewhat freshly funded, I got cracking collecting the parts for a small and portable radio shack again and picked up a second hand Yaesu 818ND QRP HF rig with an antenna tuner and sundries, a Komunica HF-PRO-2-PLUS-T multiband antenna with a tripod mounting kit, as well as an Any-Tone 878UVII VHF/UHF DMR HT radio.

The latter is a barebones china radio, but I get some reuse of accessories I already had laying about from the Wouxun and it was cheap and by all reviews, rather cheerful. Finally managed to find and get a power supply this week, so I am more or less all set to do a mount-up and get on the air. Need to score some sort of extra batteries and/or larger batteries for the Yaesu so that I can take it into the woods with a bit more operating time than an hour, but I can probably get on the air from home as it stands.

I`ll see how it fares this time around, main lifting is done, with one exception, and that is a proper home station, iow a 100 W HF. I have some feelers out for a Icom 718, a basic and cheap beginners rig that if I am really lucky, I may be able to sign out a set of.

I would like to get or build a couple of dipole antennas for running NVIS, one for home and one for portable use. Also a regular multiband Dipole for home and then I am all set to dive into the Ham radio hobby, then only other outlay on that would be a VHF/UHF DMR for car mounting but I am not too keen or in need of that. I fancy giving morse code/CW a crack but that will have to wait until next winter, and otherwise just integrate a bit of radio work when out and about.

Pictures to follow.

I'm not much fan of Zelda to be honest but I am enjoying Breath of The Wild so far and very few open world games attract me these days (to much random crap to do with no context, story or purpose other then waste your time).
Breath of the Wild is one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. Utterly delightful and inspired.

So, I have branched out a bit on the hobby front.

A couple of decades ago, I took a full ham license, somewhat after the fact. The unit I was with back then did a group buy of Icom AT2 when they where phased out, of which I bought two for service use. Many of us saw it as somewhat wasteful to just have access to the whatever frequencies the G6 would dash out occasionally, so we came together and organized a ham radio course.

By some happenstance, I managed to get through it, not being especially interested in the technical bits, with Ohms law and all that tosh. I wanted to use not build, and I never was much into the math side of things anyhow. So had the Icoms, bought a Icom 703 HF and a Buddipole antenna system and then swiftly ended up with two kids, and doing either 65 hours or 6 days of the week in the woods type of job, and work brought its own comms systems so no need for mine. So had the gear in a suitcase, lent out the antenna system to a commo guy in yet another unit and quickly forgot the whole thing. Come covid, the 703 went out the door to fund some camera gear, the Buddipole was lost in the fog of time and one AT was sold off years ago, the other one I havent managed to find, but I did buy a Wouxun HT some years ago, which I never got under the skin of.

Come earlier this year, I elbowed myself into a comms course to get some insight into new systems and such stuff, and there is the fellow that lent the Buddipole instructing.

So, doing this and that, I got some inspiration going, as well as getting a cash replacement for the Buddipole, that was broken down in parts, and gone with the wind in the 14 years it have been on loan.

So somewhat freshly funded, I got cracking collecting the parts for a small and portable radio shack again and picked up a second hand Yaesu 818ND QRP HF rig with an antenna tuner and sundries, a Komunica HF-PRO-2-PLUS-T multiband antenna with a tripod mounting kit, as well as an Any-Tone 878UVII VHF/UHF DMR HT radio.

The latter is a barebones china radio, but I get some reuse of accessories I already had laying about from the Wouxun and it was cheap and by all reviews, rather cheerful. Finally managed to find and get a power supply this week, so I am more or less all set to do a mount-up and get on the air. Need to score some sort of extra batteries and/or larger batteries for the Yaesu so that I can take it into the woods with a bit more operating time than an hour, but I can probably get on the air from home as it stands.

I`ll see how it fares this time around, main lifting is done, with one exception, and that is a proper home station, iow a 100 W HF. I have some feelers out for a Icom 718, a basic and cheap beginners rig that if I am really lucky, I may be able to sign out a set of.

I would like to get or build a couple of dipole antennas for running NVIS, one for home and one for portable use. Also a regular multiband Dipole for home and then I am all set to dive into the Ham radio hobby, then only other outlay on that would be a VHF/UHF DMR for car mounting but I am not too keen or in need of that. I fancy giving morse code/CW a crack but that will have to wait until next winter, and otherwise just integrate a bit of radio work when out and about.

Pictures to follow.
Hi from another ham (since Nov. 2021), PA8L. Mainly active on FT8 and only sparingly so during the last few months.

Back