Lathom Locks

Dewi Sant

Veteran
Name
Guess?
So, today has been a bit sub-tropical in Lancashire - we've had temperatures of 12 deg no less and beautiful bright sunshine, so all DIYing now done for the moment out came the car & in went the E-PL5 and the lenses I've been collecting for the past few weeks. Top down I set off to photograph something, with not a clue where I was headed. I didn't have too long to kill though, as it's missus Dewi's birthday tomorrow and I'd promised to be back to take her to buy something nice.

I ended up at a place called Lathom Locks about 12 miles from home. The locks are on the Rufford branch of the Liverpool - Leeds Canal, it's quite a picturesque and peaceful place to be & I often take a drive or a ride out here on the bike to just sit for a while savouring the tranquility of it.

Anyway - photos. These are the shots I got today using all 4 lenses I now have: the Olympus 17mm pancake, Olympus 14-42mm zoom, Pentax 50mm f1.7 SMC and my latest acquisition the Carl Zeiss DDR 135mm f3.5

First off the, 14-42 Olympus zoom............

View attachment 87471

View attachment 87472

P3110008_zps4d6101ee.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The 17mm Olympus pancake...........

P3110019_zps07232dab.jpg

View attachment 87475

View attachment 87476

The Pentax 50mm ............

View attachment 87477

P3110049_zps27f7755d.jpg

P3110046_zps53ca8d0d.jpg

The Carl Zeiss ...........

View attachment 87480

View attachment 87481

View attachment 87482

And, I couldn't resist adding this one - looking all gleamy in the sunshine on the walk back :)

View attachment 87483

I love canals myself. Seems like a nice area.

One comment on the shots... they seem tilted towards the black. Something in the development?

No, just me getting used to a new camera / lenses that I've not really used outdoors before to any great extent, Robin so I'm still getting to grips with the metering on it. Yesterday was incredibly bright sunshine so the contrast was almost off the scale even shooting in RAW. I have found the E-PL5 quite a contrasty camera though compared to my Canon so I'll make some adjustments in the menu. May even have a go at shooting some JPEGs as well to see what they produce. I do like lots of contraast in my photos though, which isn't always to everyones taste

Very nice set Dewi ....... you will get "hooked" on adapters and old MF glass

Highlights and shadows, both ends of the histogram, poor little camera sensors cannot cope, need to pull them both back a little in whatever PP app you have got - you have such strong sun in the UK you need to be careful of them, must be sun cream time - (can't wait to get back??)

Yes, Bill - the UK is well known for it's sunny climes :) It's nice to see bit of it even if only for a short while. The big problem this time of year of course is not only the strength of the sun under the recent clear blue skies, but how low it is in the sky at this time of year causing very the dark shadows. I was out again yesterday with the E-PL5 and had similar problems so I sat in my office last night going through the menu and making a few adjustments ........... it's cloudy here this morning! :rolleyes:

........... it's cloudy here this morning! :rolleyes:

That's better ...... more like the UK that I know and love

Very windy and warm here - we are on top of a mountain - bright blue skies

I'll just take an image of the view and post it

Off to Wilderness for a few days tomorrow - good bird spotting country, then back to France overnight Sunday

Take care

Hazy today - we have a 180 degree view of the Lagoon and Indian Ocean at the front and at the rear the mountains - it really is great out in SA

A quick shot a few minutes ago from the front wooden type structure on the front of the house

view.jpg

Back