Sony LCD Brightness settings?

oliveview

Regular
So, I'm a little bummed. I assumed that I could assign a specific LCS brightness (sunshine) to one of the 1, 2, 3 memory slots, and then keep the more efficient "auto" for other modes. But, it doesn't appear that those memory slots save those settings.

What do you all do for such adjustments? I noticed that there is a significant user-difference when outside in even mild daylight, and really need to be in sunshine mode as opposed to auto.

And you can't customize the functions that are selected when you use the Function button. The Function button is programmed to call up smile detect and auto portrait framing, but not quality or LCD brightness. Really?

I've dealt with this by keeping the Menu button set so that LCD brightness is the first thing called up.

It's true and kind of funny. There are six highly customizable buttons on the RX1, but the fn button isn't one of them. It's sort of more like the Olympus super control panel or the Pany quick menu or the Fuji Q button than an actual fn button. I don't think there's anything wrong with this, since there are plenty of configurable buttons, but it is oddly named to be sure.

In terms of the LCD brightness, I just keep it set to sunny weather all the time. I guess it goes through batteries a little quicker, but I still get through a very heavy day of shooting with two batteries, so I'm OK doing it that way. I never really find it too bright and in daylight, it's bright enough...

-Ray

It's true and kind of funny. There are six highly customizable buttons on the RX1, but the fn button isn't one of them. It's sort of more like the Olympus super control panel or the Pany quick menu or the Fuji Q button than an actual fn button. I don't think there's anything wrong with this, since there are plenty of configurable buttons, but it is oddly named to be sure.

In terms of the LCD brightness, I just keep it set to sunny weather all the time. I guess it goes through batteries a little quicker, but I still get through a very heavy day of shooting with two batteries, so I'm OK doing it that way. I never really find it too bright and in daylight, it's bright enough...

-Ray

Indeed. I'll likely leave mine at that setting, too. It's such a HUGE difference. My "auto" is unusable outside. Although, I wonder whether that may be a side effect of using the Sony LCD protective shield? I never use those on other products, but the fact that Sony skimped on the glass screen sort of forced my hand.
So far, in only a little more than 48-hours, I've really grown to like shooting with the camera. I'm not sure where I stand on AF yet, but most of my quibbles (like the fn button) are those which could theoretically be improved with firmware, and nothing mechanical or performance-oriented.

Indeed. I'll likely leave mine at that setting, too. It's such a HUGE difference. My "auto" is unusable outside. Although, I wonder whether that may be a side effect of using the Sony LCD protective shield? I never use those on other products, but the fact that Sony skimped on the glass screen sort of forced my hand.
So far, in only a little more than 48-hours, I've really grown to like shooting with the camera. I'm not sure where I stand on AF yet, but most of my quibbles (like the fn button) are those which could theoretically be improved with firmware, and nothing mechanical or performance-oriented.

Is your RX1 in a case? My Leicatime case obscures the LCD brightness sensor, so the camera thinks I am always indoors in dim light, and the LCD is accordingly dimmed. This makes the auto setting useless outdoors. Perhaps your LCD protective shield is also obscuring the sensor. I usually keep my LCD set to manual with +1 brightness, which seems pretty good in most circumstances.

Is your RX1 in a case? My Leicatime case obscures the LCD brightness sensor, so the camera thinks I am always indoors in dim light, and the LCD is accordingly dimmed. This makes the auto setting useless outdoors. Perhaps your LCD protective shield is also obscuring the sensor. I usually keep my LCD set to manual with +1 brightness, which seems pretty good in most circumstances.

No. No case. Just the LCD protective overlay, which one would hope would have been designed to allow light to pass through to the sensor. But who knows. Even indoors, I don't honestly prefer that pulsing from darker to lighter. So, much like Ray Sachs, I'll likely just leave at the max brightness. Knowing the camera will always require extra batteries for extended shooting episodes, anyway, it's already a forgone conclusion that I'll have them with me.

Back