Sony Leaked Images of Upcoming Sony NEX Lenses Surface in DPReview Forums

Amin

Hall of Famer
Here are the three new Sony NEX lenses which we have been told will be announced on August 24th:

attachment.php?attachmentid=19&d=1313247183.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=20&d=1313247184.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=21&d=1313247184.jpg

Things are looking good for the Sony NEX lineup!

Source: New NEX leses, f1.8 24mm, f1.8 50mm, f4.5-6.3 55-210mm: Sony NEX Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I'm sure that at least one of these lenses will be excellent and well worth the (likely very) high price, but the 24 is notably larger than the kit zoom and the 55-210 is longer if not quite as fat as the 18-200 (which in actual life is frickin' HUGE). I'm back to m43 and frankly not even tempted by these. Again, I'm sure the quality of at least the 24 will be incredible and will begin to realize the amazing IQ potential of the Nex, as new bodies are released. But if I wanted to shoot with lenses that big, I'd just get a bigger camera (like an A35 or something) to go with them.

-Ray

I'm sure that at least one of these lenses will be excellent and well worth the (likely very) high price, but the 24 is notably larger than the kit zoom and the 55-210 is longer if not quite as fat as the 18-200 (which in actual life is frickin' HUGE). I'm back to m43 and frankly not even tempted by these. Again, I'm sure the quality of at least the 24 will be incredible and will begin to realize the amazing IQ potential of the Nex, as new bodies are released. But if I wanted to shoot with lenses that big, I'd just get a bigger camera (like an A35 or something) to go with them.

-Ray

The whole issue of massive lens vs tiny camera body is what put me off the NEX system in the first place. I was interested, and even on the brink of buying, about a year ago, until I went hands on. The display camera had just the kit zoom attached but even that seemed massive. I'd agree that the shots off the NEX are really nice... but the look and feel (and balance) of the whole thing just was all wrong to me. These new lenses do nothing to change my mind, I'm afraid :(

I like the little(ish) 16 mm pancake on the NEX, don't mind the 18-55 but would be reluctant to try any of the bigger lenses.

+1 to what all others said. So the NEX 7 might be just the best spare tire type of back up for M-mount lens shooters. As a system it is not as appealing as the mft offerings. A pity considering the potential of the new Sony sensor. If I wanted to deal with such bulky lenses, I'd choose a Sony SLT over a NEX.

The Zeiss 24/1.8 looks to be between 5 and 10mm longer than the 18-55/3.5-5.6 kit zoom. The kit zoom is by no means large, it only looks large on the diminutive NEX-3/C3/5. But based on the size relationship between Panasonic's kit zoom and the Lumix 20/1.7 pancake, most of us expected the Zeiss prime to be significantly smaller than the Sony kit zoom. The larger size of the Zeiss prime should not have come as a surprise. We're seeing the effect that the larger sensor has on lens size as well as (presumably) Sony's intention to maximize optical quality. They need a lens that showcases the new 24MP sensor in the high end NEX-7. An expensive body is not that compelling when there are no native lenses that can take advantage of it.

I'm still interested in the NEX-7, especially if it has an articulated screen like its smaller siblings do. I'll accept the larger prime lens if the optical quality is there. This would be my most used lens, so its quality is more important than lenses I use less often.

But if Panasonic or Olympus come out with a "semi-pro," rangefinder-styled camera with articulated screen, then I'll stick with MFT and get a Leica 25/1.4.

-Ray

Ditto. Pity, because some of the other rumored features of the Nex 7 touch hot buttons for me.

I would think it would come down to how the camera feels with the various lenses. I can't speak from much experience with the NEX, but I was surprised at how comfortable the NEX5 felt in one hand, granted that was with it's zoom lens, I believe. Size can be a matter of perception. I'd have to feel the camera with the lenses first.

I'm with Pelao and Ray here - the NEX 7 looks completely fab . . . but those lens sizes spoil it for me - I actually really like Sony (have the A900 the A55 and too many lenses) - I'll almost certainly go for the A77, but I've fallen in love with the little EP3 and m4/3 lenses which are genuinely small. It's a small kit I'm after rather than a small camera!

all the best

The whole issue of massive lens vs tiny camera body is what put me off the NEX system in the first place. I was interested, and even on the brink of buying, about a year ago, until I went hands on. The display camera had just the kit zoom attached but even that seemed massive. I'd agree that the shots off the NEX are really nice... but the look and feel (and balance) of the whole thing just was all wrong to me. These new lenses do nothing to change my mind, I'm afraid :(

So its ok for you m4/3 users to attach the tiny Panasonic 14-140mm on your camera right since it's really small? Guess what? I use a Canon T2i with the "massive" 70-200mm" lens and I don't have a problem with it because I know how to handle it (I used my left hand to support the lens). It'll be the same with the NEX-7/5. The NEX-7/5 actually have an excellent grip for these "massive" lens you're talking about. The NEX-7 + Zeiss is way way smaller than my Canon T2i + 17-55mm combo I use right now.

I'd rather be stuck with the NEX-7 with a mediocre zoom kit than any m4/3 with their wonderful lens line up. Why? It's because I know the larger sensor has more potential in IQ department and better lens will come. With the m4/3, what you see is what you get, you could only go so far with that tiny sensor and any lens that'll come out won't help it. They're in their 4th generation and the noise still sucks after ISO 1600.

Please check the history of APS-C sensor vs. 4/3 (original olympus) sensor. Where is the 4/3 now? The NEX has been out for like a year and a half so I'm not sweating it. All it needs is a high quality lens. The Zeiss, although expensive, is a start.

Sorry, I have to post this 'cause you m4/3 users seem so insecured and the only thing you have in defense against the NEX is the "massive" lens...which is pretty funny. I bet, if the Zeiss produces an awesome IQ, you guys will come up with the ..."yeah, but its too expensive" excuses.

Nik, no one who has posted in this thread is insecure about their camera choices - people are apt to have different opinions, that's all.

I used to have a mu43 camera and it was my first serious digital camera... I actually had two of them in succession. Now I use the Fuji X100 and love it due to its excellent sensor as well as its straightforward controls, and the OVF/EVF... It's my only camera now, not counting a little old Elph. At times, I think I might want to have another camera with interchangeable lenses...and from my brief encounter with the NEX5, my experience with the Leica X1 and now the Fuji X100, I'm pretty sold on that sensor and all that it offers.

Different strokes for different folks as the old song says! So welcome to Serious Compacts, Nik, and please stop by the Welcomes and Introductions forum next time you drop by.

Sorry, I have to post this 'cause you m4/3 users seem so insecured and the only thing you have in defense against the NEX is the "massive" lens...which is pretty funny. I bet, if the Zeiss produces an awesome IQ, you guys will come up with the ..."yeah, but its too expensive" excuses.

Nik, if you knew any of us, you'd have a good chuckle at your own statement. Jono shoots a Leica M9 and Sony DSLRs with lots of lenses to go with both. He leaves and returns to systems as he pleases, and his lack of bias or ego attachment to gear is obvious to all who know him. The same is true of Ray, who had an NEX camera, shoots an X100, MFT, Ricoh GRD, and I'm sure wouldn't hesitate to pick up another NEX system if it suited his needs. I just started a site for NEX users (TalkNEX.com) and have been mulling over the idea of picking up an NEX system to shoot alongside my Micro 4/3 gear. Sue shoots multiple systems (see her sig), and Karen is already an NEX user.

The bottom line is that none of us have any cause to be defensive. If we like what Sony NEX brings out, we'll buy it. Simple as that. So, perhaps before jumping into a small friendly community and going on attack, take a few minutes to look around and get your bearings ;).

I'd rather be stuck with the NEX-7 with a mediocre zoom kit than any m4/3 with their wonderful lens line up. Why? It's because I know the larger sensor has more potential in IQ department and better lens will come. With the m4/3, what you see is what you get, you could only go so far with that tiny sensor and any lens that'll come out won't help it. They're in their 4th generation and the noise still sucks after ISO 1600.

Hmmm. Well, the difference in size between APS/c and 4/3 really isn't very big (much smaller than the difference between APS/c and full frame). I think I agree that the m4/3 consortium have rather under performed with sensors, but referring to the 4/3 sensor as 'tiny' compared with APS/c is . . . actually . . . ludicrous

I think most of us around here have a pretty good understanding of the tradeoffs associated with the gear we use. I currently have three cameras, one with a supercompact sensor (grd3), one with an m43 (ep3), and one with APS (x100). I had a Nex 5 until a month or so ago. To me the emerging lineup of Nex lenses make it a losing proposition - I like shooting with smaller gear when possible and if the lenses are going to be that big, the benefit of the smaller body is lost - I'd just as soon have an A35 or A77 with the much larger selection of lenses available for those bodies. I'm aware of the IQ potential of the Nex - again, I had one and liked it. I see both it's benefits and limitations and I see the different set of benefits and limitations with m43 gear and those tradeoffs work better for me. I'm not criticizing Nex - you are criticizing m43 - tell me who's being defensive!

-Ray

I'm solely m43 now, having sold my 5D, but I'd jump on a small system compact. A FF compact is my ultimate dream, but I don't see it coming (and can't afford an M9). I have been thinking about the NEX. The C3 seems to be stepping up, but that Ricoh w/m mount module is worth following, possibly.

24mm 1.8? Yes, please.

It and the NEX 7 are the culmination of my 14 Step Program:

Step 1. Yearn for a digital FF compact to replace my Contax T3 and Ricoh GR
Step 2. Buy a GRD instead.
Step 3. Tire of the small sensor look but still manage to be seduced by the Lumix LX3
Step 4. Ok, really over the small sensor now, HELLO GF1 (or E-P1) and 20mm 1.7
Step 5. Cool, E-P2 w/ EVF and adapted lenses!
Step 6. Snicker at the NEX
Step 7. Hear the choir of angels sing the praises of the X100 - immediately place preorder.
Step 8. Wait
Step 9. Wait
Step 10. Buy a NEX body to bide my time.
Step 11. Realize how brilliant the NEX is as an adapted lens platform and how awesome the IQ is.
Step 12. Rejoice at arrival of X100 and at how great the X100 lens and sensor combo is, but agonize over how badly Fuji hobbled the handling of it.
Step 13. Lust after the NEX 7 and Zeiss 24mm.
Step 14. Realize that none of these cameras meet my original size specification and I am now investing in a rangefinder sized system instead of a small pocketable compact.

How did this happen!? ;)

Damn.

Step 1. Work all the way up to biggest, most expensive DSLR with highest possible IQ.
Step 2. Realise that high performance digital cameras need heavy, expensive and bulky high quality glass.
Step 3. Gradually stop using above, due to impracticality of lugging around for shooting when needed.
Step 4. Go back to basics, with smallest high quality P&S available. Realise that photography is fun.
Step 5. Gradually work through a variety of cameras and systems until the best compromise of size/weight to quality and flexibility reached.
Step 6. Enjoy your m4/3rds system (in good light)
Step 7. Enjoy your X100 (in any light, at 35mm)
Step 8. Keep an eye out for something which provides a much better compromise, but don't hold your breath - and don't believe the hype.

Cheers

Brian

Back