Leaving

Alf

Top Veteran
So here we are, after a warm, sunny but somewhat difficult summer, to the moment where I do my trick and disappear.

5106988827_0800c0e86b_b.jpg

Time to prepare The Bag, close all windows, and head East.

I leave home all these:

5519955958_321fbf6e40_b.jpg

Habesha di alfrjw, su Flickr
FeiHua 25/1.4

5794205301_f929938e5c_b.jpg

Lalla di alfrjw, su Flickr
Cosmicar 16/1.4

5520190387_66761d4bab_b.jpg

Awash National Park di alfrjw, su Flickr
Magnon 35-200/3.8-5.6

5519372287_661dd17f09_b.jpg

Debre Libanos di alfrjw, su Flickr
Hexanon 40/1.8

5988926918_2522c1e3b0_b.jpg

Last lesson di alfrjw, su Flickr
Hexanon 50/1.7

I was too often tired and worried to give in to the voices suggesting new shiny gear, the tiny 9-18 to be where it happens, the 12mm forged by elves under full moon, the 25mm which is a delight mounted on a brand new G3 (a dream I could touch), and a boatload of the rest plus a few sigma-fuji-nx to keep them company - I am a slow learner and should have gear in my hands at least a month before needing it.
Plus, I'm still worried I'll come back to find my job gone - one more reason to leave now and come back saner, stronger, happier to fight it out. The gear money will go into Going Places and Meeting People.

5121653540_d816471633_b.jpg

The Tank di alfrjw, su Flickr

So, what goes into the Tank?
Sure, these
6035830344_23241c85aa_b.jpg

Mare-34.jpg di alfrjw, su Flickr
Olympus 14-42mkI

5982824032_2a35534dcd_b.jpg

a spasso di alfrjw, su Flickr
Lumix 20/1.7

5088373599_63e5433e2b_b.jpg

EPL18495.jpg di alfrjw, su Flickr
Hexanon 50/1.4

And of course, these
6058552889_7029d82684_b.jpg

E-PL1 di alfrjw, su Flickr

5920122656_75f17405c9_b.jpg

AL-F di alfrjw, su Flickr

So, tomorrow I'll prepare the bags, and off to Rome for a day before leaving for the place of light, Rajasthan.

Apart from memory cards, batteries and two polarizers, I still have two cubic meters in the tank, which was built for a different generation of cameras :D
In my mind, the hexanon 50s are still fighting for the spot in the bag, but I'm sure I'll be happy with either of them.

But I'm still thinking of going with just one lens. What do you think?

Alf,
As usual a very nice visual and written story.
Could you explain what leaving means, why and where your going etc.
I'm kinda wondering about this.
Thanks....don

Alf, your title scared me. I think what you are saying in your poetic and artist's way is that you're setting off on a big journey and heading to Rajasthan Rajasthan travel guide - Wikitravel. I have to admit that I had to look up to see exactly where Rajasthan is.:redface: India is such a huge country!

Are you going with friends, alone, with your lovely wife?

I wonder if there might be a way with your iPad to take us all with you on your trip and have an as you go kind of story telling with your photographs? Or perhaps that would be too much of an intrusion.

I was too often tired and worried to give in to the voices suggesting new shiny gear, the tiny 9-18 to be where it happens, the 12mm forged by elves under full moon, the 25mm which is a delight mounted on a brand new G3 (a dream I could touch), and a boatload of the rest plus a few sigma-fuji-nx to keep them company - I am a slow learner and should have gear in my hands at least a month before needing it.
Plus, I'm still worried I'll come back to find my job gone - one more reason to leave now and come back saner, stronger, happier to fight it out. The gear money will go into Going Places and Meeting People.

Alf, this sounds to like wisdom when it comes to "gear money".

If you've already taken off, I wish you a wonder filled adventure and a safe return to all of us who'll be waiting for your return and your stories.

Could you explain what leaving means, why and where your going etc.
Are you going with friends, alone, with your lovely wife?

Sure. I always end up hinting instead of telling, it's in my blood like my best defect : I can't stay put.
For the first time in my life since leaving the nest I'm living with my dearest in a place of our own - the rooms, the walls, a roof, I even have a tiny lemon tree to look at when I wake up: it's ours, and it's paid. But I can't stay put - and I'm not alone in this; when I met a certain lady her house was full of places and faces, I and liked that a lot..

So we had a mutual agreement more or less like this: we work, we act grown up, we pay the bills and enjoy our little place in the sun - while we plan the next invasion - once a year we Go Figure. It takes a lot of saving, as wages here are heavily taxed and quite low to begin with, but it can be done if you really want, and we come back tired and refreshed.

So this time it's Rajasthan, to get light and people at the right time of the year, and have it quite easy (Ethiopia was a little more difficult to visit). Some friends come along, some will meet us on the road, some will meet us on the way back.
I can't wait!

Alf, I'm so excited for you and your dearest - and your friends along the way that you'll meet and make. I am looking forward so much to living vicariously.

When do you take off?

Back