Leica Leica 21mm SEM or Zeiss 21 f2.8

vince, contrary to my generally stated opinion about zeiss, their 25/2.8 biogon seems outstanding to me and has been favorably compared to the 24 elmarit all over the web. at 1/3 the price you might want to consider it as well.

I had the Zeiss 25 before and did not find the lens to be too special. I used it with the M240.

TY Tony, my pleasure.

Vince, the SEM 24 is fantastic. Like the 21, it's slow but delivers incredible sharpness and colors. Best in the world at 24 I believe, except at 2.8, where it's just terrible LOL I don't have it but have seen many shots and read many testimonials.

I just bought the SEM 21mm for the CL body. I have not shot anything yet. Thus, I have no informative input here. Just for watching this thread.

I think you'll especially like the 21mm SEM on a CL. It's going to be sharp, with great colors and contrast, and it withstand sun flares fairly well too. (I shoot it without a lens hood with few problem shooting into the sun.)

Note, it won't look quite as wide for angle of view as it does on the full frame cameras we were shooting. But it will be superb for scenery, or also street shooting where you can be pretty close to the subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you'll especially like the 21mm SEM on a CL. It's going to be sharp, with great colors and contrast, and it withstand sun flares fairly well too. (I shoot it without a lens hood with few problem shooting into the sun.)

Note, it won't look quite as wide for angle of view as it does on the full frame cameras we were shooting. But it will be superb for scenery, or also street shooting where you can be pretty close to the subject.

Agree. The 21mm is equivalent to 32.5mm on CL, which is the focal length I like. This one on my CL has a hood. I will pay attention to the flare issue when shooting the backlight, as you suggested. Your photos of the SEM are really amazing and make its fans confidential for their choice, I bet.

Back