Leica Showcase Leica 50mm f/1.5 Summarit

Certainly less glow than my scratchy sample (at €288 I'm not complaining)

HH171129.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Managed to snag another Summarit attached to a IIIf in January.

Only shot with it on the IIIf so far and with a film that's only fit for retro style portraits with massive grain (in HC-110).
Thank goodness I only bought 2 rolls of Fomapan Retropan 320 to play around with. NOT liking this film.

TestLeicaIIIfSummarit04.jpg

TestLeicaIIIfSummarit07.jpg

TestLeicaIIIfSummarit10.jpg

Hello,
I just picked up an m3 and Summarit 50 f1.5 on CL. Really clean and everything seems to work right. However the focus is a bit squeaky and feels like it drags abit, not smooth all the way through. I have tried taking it apart, i remove 3 screws from behind aperture ring, and 2 screws from focus ring. Aperture ring screws are left in place. I lock with small screwdriver into screw hole at focus ring. When i try to unscrew, the front part unscrews, the part with the front glass lens, and i can see the aperture blades still on the back end of the lens. I want to unscrew more down to the helicoid to clean and grease the focusing ring with helicoid grease. I am afraid to try to unscrew further while holding by the aperture ring. Any help would be appreciated please. I will post photos of what im doing later today, after i get home.
It is serial #Nr.1275494 M mount.
I am super excited about my firat leica and am now thinking about how i can afford a digital leica...

20180323_164738.jpg
20180323_164919.jpg
20180323_164944.jpg

This is where im at, do i just grab it by aperture ring and try to unscrew further? Im afraid to damage aperture section

My latest one did the same thing: I screwed the front section back in, then used a rubber mat to grab the front section and aperture ring together to spread the force over a larger section than just the aperture ring. I had to press on the screw used to keep the block from rotating. It did come out.

Have you any recomendation what you think contributes to this issue? Lack of lubrication or something else? I will try again to separate them. Thank you!

I did it! Awesomeness. Thanks for the info and confidence boost. Used rubber mat like you suggested. Found a piece of metal inside. Now just have get to helicoid...
20180323_195845.jpg

It's been ages since I've posted anything on this forum... ;)

Some images from a 'tactical' WW2 re-enactment event at Malle Airfield in February 2020, before the whole lockdown thing went down

MA200213.jpg

MA200223.jpg

MA200224.jpg

MA200248.jpg

Leica IIIc, with the same scratchy Summarit as in the original post and Fomapan 100 film.

Back