Leica Showcase Leica 50mm f/1 Noctilux

usayit

Veteran
Sep 4, 2010
I totally enjoy this lens so I am going to start a sample image archive. Its definitely NOT the lens for everyone. Slow focus throw, big, heavy, not particularly sharp, a bit of CA, doesn't focus closely, can be difficult to use.... but it renders uniquely. It begs to be shot wide open.

Shot on Epson R-D1. The Noctilux actually worked VERY well on the Epson R-D1 due to the 1:1 viewfinder.

Amin Sabet

Administrator Emeritus
Jul 3, 2010
Terrific series, usayit. Loads of personality to this lens, and you've put it to great use!

BrianS

Super Moderator
Apr 3, 2013
Great examples, an amazing lens. I kick myself for passing up a Noctilux on a user M3 for $1800 at a camera show, ~12 years ago. Hindsight! Prices have soared. I should convert a Canon 50/0.95 to M-Mount, picked up when they ran $200.

usayit

Veteran
Sep 4, 2010
So this is a sample of what the Noctilux f/1 looks like mounted on a Sony A7R. This is minimally processed with WB, Contrast, and Saturation only. Loads of vignette.

usayit

Veteran
Sep 4, 2010
Another from the Sony A7R + Noctilux 50mm @ f/1 combination. Again.. minimal processing

BrianS

Super Moderator
Apr 3, 2013
I played with the 50/1 once... I would like one, eventually will fall into one... Will make due with the 50/1.1 Nokton until then.

The A7r shots- I suspect the steep angle of incidence with the lens used wide-open are causing more fall-off than it would on the M9 or M240, same issue with wide-angle lenses. There are a lot of fast SLR lenses out there that I bet would shine on it.Have you tried a Nikkor 55/1.2? It is a T1.25.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom